HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Lower back and lower belly pain and discomfort at five weeks post-op Lower back and lower belly pain and discomfort at five weeks post-op

Unread 07-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Lower back and lower belly pain and discomfort at five weeks post-op

I'm getting a little worried and concerned. I'm at five weeks post-op from a complete hysterectomy - everything's gone!! For the past several days my lower back and lower belly have been hurting quite a bit. Yesterday the pain went down one side of my leg as well. I'm getting very discouraged because I thought that by now I would be feeling much better. Thank you all in advance for your concern and feedback!
Unread 07-18-2005, 05:22 AM

I had some severe lower back pain earlier (I am 3 months tomorrow) and some minor belly pain. Doc explained to me that because our abs (core muscles) have been moved around, they aren't strong enough to support us so we rely on the back which then in turn becomes painful. Stretching and slowly begining to add crunches will help if this is what is happening to you. However, I can't offer any thing for the leg pain. Does it feel muscle related? If so maybe stretching but if it doesn't involve the muscle, I'd call the doc.
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:26 AM

I was June 15th and my complaint at my four week check was that my legs HURT so bad. My hip had rotated again (we thought that would stop after the uterus was removed and the Surgeon and Dr also hoped it would) and my lower back was KILLING me. The pain in my legs both begin right at the top where they join the inner side and on down. He said that was where the arteries are that were cut from the uterus. At almost 5 weeks, they are still very painful. I still have a BIG pain on my right side just where the ovary is and the pain sometimes travels up and down a little both ways. And the left one began hurting just last week. The right side pain has been there from day one.
I also had a HUGE GREEN bruise on my outer thigh. Since this was nowhere NEAR the surgery area, it got the best of me WHY that would be like that. I am a big walker and it has been hard to get that stretched back out and gone. A touch of it was still there and my upper back was a little sore.
I asked him for a copy of the surgery report and in it, as he said it would, shows all the positions I was in. Those really DO explain how I am feeling pain in certain areas while being strapped down and moved around such as my body was- and then carried dead weight back onto my bed. DH said the bed I went in on WAS the surgery table but they take it all apart. So I only got moved once then into my hospital bed and I was awake for that but they told me "DON'T MOVE- WE will do it for you !"
You can ask you Dr why you hurt in certain areas. For me, my circulation is not good with my heart meds and also with extremeties that are always cold ( hands and feet) on the norm with low blood pressure. I was hung upside down just as the surgery was ended- as they do with shock victims. I counted THAT the reason why I kept waking up from sleep feeling like I was going to fall. I had been moved up and down while out and I think maybe my subconcious did remember it.
Even if the pain is not all that bad- call your Dr anyway. Just for peace of mind. That is why they are THERE- to help you.
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:28 AM

Gees! I'm so glad to see this message today! The last two days I've been experiencing the same thing. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out of surgery, and had been feeling "okay" the last two weeks, until the last few days when I've had such "pressure" in my whole stomach area. Had a SAH/BSO on June 23rd, and thought I'd really be coming around by now. I came out of my surgery with a numb leg, so I realize that some of the pain I'm experiencing is because I'm favoring the one leg and it's making the other and my hip hurt. And gas.... oh my..... this is maybe some of the problem too? Not sure... anybody have any experience with this?
Unread 07-18-2005, 08:01 AM

I am 6 months post op and yes I do remember the back pain. At 5 weeks PO I thought there was no way I would be able to go back to work. (on my feet all day). I was hurting in my back and legs. I knew alot of it in the first weeks was from surgery and stiches, but as time went on...it was different. I think alot of mine was the inactivity. I was careful to take care of myself and do everything right but had gone from being very active with work, church, my children, to laying flat of my back and fatigued and hurting. Thankfully, once I was released by my doctor, I went back to work and increased my activity, the back and hip pain went away. The post op hints on this web site of what you should be doing at the different weeks is great. Follow them. I hope as you increase your activity, your pain will ease as mine did. I'm as I said, 6 months post...I spent ALOT of time on this site during recovery, it was great. There is life after the big H....
Unread 07-18-2005, 10:43 AM

I too am experiencing a great deal of pain in my legs - a real achy kind. I thought perhaps it was arthritis or maybe something caused by my estrogen patch. I had a complete hyst. on 6-15 and am almost 5 weeks. I've been active and realize sometimes I do too much. This weekend we went to my sister's - a 5 hour trip and my legs are killing me today. I'm glad to hear that this is not unusual. I too have to go back to work in 2 weeks. I'm a teacher and will be on my feet all day long - really worried about this!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.