HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

stool softener bad for you? stool softener bad for you?

Unread 07-20-2005, 02:10 PM
stool softener bad for you?

Hi all,

How long did you take the stool softener after the operation? Is prolonged use bad for you? I read on the package that it should not be taken for more than a week.

I've been taking one a day since the surgery, so that would make it about 2.5 weeks. The doctor also wanted me to take iron supplements which is supposed to be constipating. I'm afraid to stop taking the stool softener because I did NOT at all like the first few days when I was not able to go.

Thoughts?
Judy
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:18 PM

I take colace which is stool softner, Im on iron too and I would never go if I didnt take it. My doctor even told me to take it as long as I was on the iron. I know that some laxatives you can become sorta addicted to or rather your intestines wont go after a prolonged time without the medicine. Give your doctor a call and see what they say. If the iron constipates you my bet is that the doctor will want you to keep taking the stool softner as long as its not a harsh one.
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:18 PM

I read a bit on some different treatments when I was having trouble going. I know the body can become dependant on some enemas, on some suppositories, but I am not sure about orally taken stool softeners. I used M.O.M. a few times- but I was afraid to get my system dependant on anything. I read on specific brands on webmd.com.
Good luck to you. Good luck with the staples. I had hidden stitches! No staples, steri-strips or anything!! Funky.

Oh yeah- I used to be taking iron, or was supposed to the days around my periods. I even tried every other day, and it just really ruined things. So I didn't take it. Plus, most narcotics will bind you up as well. I ended up having trouble breathing or vomiting with the narcotics they gave me, so I only took them for a few days, or just a half of one at night for about 2 weeks. When those totally get out of your system, making things will run smoothly. I stand by my few 'dried plums' every day!
L
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:23 PM

I read the same thing on my bottle of stool softeners and when I went in for my 4 week check-up (had to see the nurse practitioner 'cause the doc was delivering a baby) I told her I was still taking a stool softener. She said that it was fine and wouldn't hurt me...that it was better than having to do a lot of straining. I think you should be okay, but be sure to ask your doctor if you want to be positive.
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:06 PM

I took the collace too. Then I forgot one day and took two the next night as I was uncomfortable all day and the package said one to two. Well, needless to say it is now day 4 and I haven't taken any since. It had the opposite effect on me.
Chris
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin
Hi all,

How long did you take the stool softener after the operation? Is prolonged use bad for you? I read on the package that it should not be taken for more than a week.

I've been taking one a day since the surgery, so that would make it about 2.5 weeks. The doctor also wanted me to take iron supplements which is supposed to be constipating. I'm afraid to stop taking the stool softener because I did NOT at all like the first few days when I was not able to go.

Thoughts?
Judy
[color=Purple]Dear Judy,
Taking a stool softener is not habit forming. There is nothing wrong with taking something like ducosate sodium (colace)regularly, especially if you are taking an iron supplement (iron is VERY binding). Be sure to also drink LOTS of water to help keep your stools soft. Straining to have a bowel movement is something you want to avoid.
hope this helps,
Barb
Unread 07-20-2005, 08:06 PM

I agree...stool softeners are not habit forming. I took them for about 2-3 wks. I still take them once in awhile, if I begin to feel constipated or bloated.

Best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 07-21-2005, 06:07 AM

I'm 10 weeks post-op and I'm still taking Colace because for the first time since I was a teenager I'm "regular" and it doesn't hurt. My mother's doctor recommended Colace daily for her because she had all kinds of bowel problems. That was more than 10 years ago, and as of an appointment she had last month, he still says she should take it. Also (I just remembered this), when I was released from the hospital, the nurse said to take Colace or FiberCon as long as I felt I needed it.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.