HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

5-week anniversary today 5-week anniversary today

Unread 07-21-2005, 11:04 AM
5-week anniversary today

anybody else celebrating this?

How do y'all feel? I feel pretty good but it seems like my internal muscles are tighter than they were last week. And, no I don't think I've overdone anything. Maybe not done enough? not doing any bouncing.
Unread 07-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Help! Yeast Infection - now what????

I'm at 5 weeks also. I was feeling pretty good - but last Sunday I developed a yeast infection on my incision. It's been fairly painful. And I've learned that sugar can make it worse, so I'm trying to cut it from my diet. Man, I never noticed how many everyday foods have sugar in them!! Any ideas on how to combat this nasty infection?
Unread 07-21-2005, 11:57 AM
5-week anniversary today

When I had something like this on my stomach, physicians assistant told me to keep it as dry as possible. "Air" it whenever I could (I guess in your case, maybe where a gown sans panties when you're home?). And, I think I may have also had some kind of cream to rub on it -- maybe an antibacterial creme?
Unread 07-21-2005, 12:21 PM
5-week anniversary today

I am also 5 weeks. I am feeling good but I still have a lot of pain in my incision. It is very tender and it hurts with the rubbing of my clothing. The doctor told my I am developing a keloid. Any suggestions on this?
If ther is a yeast infection in your incision the best thing to do is to keep it air dry as newscat suggested. Yeast infections love moist, dark and warm. Try to avoid this.
Unread 07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
5-week anniversary today

I too am at 5 weeks. This has been quite the experience. I am so-o-o grateful for this site. Without it, I'm sure I would be hurting alot more, doing way too much, and have a million questions without answers. I really can't complain. I sleep well, my incisions are healing well (except where I took off a bandage last night), my appetite is too good :snort:, I am doing light housework- dishes- laundry- light sweeping-dusting- watering garden and I've been back to teaching summer school for the last
3 weeks, 2 hours a day.
I've found walking, resting with feet up and ice on my swelly belly for at least an hour to hour and a half in the afternoon is the only way to make it through dinner time into bed time. Every once in a while (mostly when I skip a dose of metamucil) I need an ibuprophen- being the slightest bit constipated (even just before bm time) makes me ache like I just had an episiotomy (spelling?). I'm sure there is just alot more healing that needs to go on. I am anxious for the next phase of my life- but I want it to be a healthy one for a change, so I am easing into it. I started last week walking on the treadmill for 12 min then resting for 10 then 12 more. (at a snails pace of course)
6wk check is next week, and I'm excited to find out how the vaginal cuff is healing.
Hope you are all healing well, and getting the support you need at home!
Unread 07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
5-week anniversary today

It is also my 5 week anniversary. I am doing so good! I feel twinges, but no pain. I feel almost back to normal, though I still do a little resting every day. I started on the Vivelle Dot a little more than a week ago. I'm not really sure I needed it, but sleep was becoming an issue waking up hot, then cold from about 2:30 on, but it is better now and I'm at the lowest dosage available. I'm hoping this is as bad as it get, if so, I will be one of the lucky ones. One thing I've noticed is how level my emotions have been since the surgery. I've always suffered from PMDD and have taken Paxil for depression and increased my dosage for the two weeks prior to my period starting. That had helped, but I could still notice the emotional swings. I was so afraid that the hysterectomy would throw me into a horrible emotional nightmare, but I have been great! I don't understand it, but I'm not complaining. It just feels weird to feel good and stable. The only time I was down was when I was running a fever 4 days after surgery (which the doc and I decided it was just a bug). I've already "missed" a period, and I'm not complaining about that, either.
Unread 07-21-2005, 04:22 PM
5-week anniversary today

It will be five weeks tomorrow. Overall, thinsg are great. I went back to work full time this week and have had several evening activities but don't feel near as bad or as tired as I did before surgery. Things ache a bit but nothing more than a twinge. One more week til I can have sex! You know it's been too long whern I miss it this much! Guess my hormone are in over-drive! LOL
Unread 07-21-2005, 05:30 PM
5-week anniversary today

I am also 5 weeks today and feeling really good.
I had my 4 week check up last week and I am already healed inside. My doctor said that I healed very well....I was so thankful for that. I was cleared to ease back into my normal activities....including sex! I was scared at 4 weeks, but we tried it and the first time wasn't great. I didn't have any pain or bleeding, but it just wasn't the same. We were both very nervous. I finally got up the nerve to try again last night and I am pleased to say that it was MUCH better! I was so scared that my body wasn't going to work right after our first experience last week. I guess it just takes a little time.

I still have a swelly belly that gets bigger as the day goes on. But I have noticed that my energy level is starting to get better this week. My hormones aren't too bad considering I can't take estrogen for 6 months. Just taking progesterone right now for night sweats and it seems to control that pretty well.

Overall this has been a smooth recovery for me. Although the first 3 weeks were very boring.
I hope everyone else is feeling good and healing well.
Cheryl
Unread 07-21-2005, 06:13 PM
5-week anniversary today

5 weeks as of yesterday for me, too. I have been and still am a rather slow healer. I was hoping today that I'd get the news that my stitches were healed but that just ain't so. I had those complications and excess bleeding so it's taking me a bit longer. However, today at my 5 week checkup, my GYN did tell me I could do one more week of slow walking and then I will be allowed to power walk--yes!! Then he told me I could start running in the middle of August and I was thrilled. But then he backed off a bit and said to wait to run until I see him again after Aug. 22nd. <sigh> I feel like a slug because I was so in shape before all this happened. I just want to run/jog again and feel 100% normal. I will be glad when this summer is over even though I usually enjoy the laid-back days of summer. It's dang hot and the kids are starting to get bored because we haven't been able to go do fun stuff with me limited in most physical activites. I am bored, too and want to jump back into everything already. I am doing it slowly but I thought it would be a lot quicker than it has been. Still, I have come a long way and I finally am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel--hallelujah!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.