HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

5mg of Biestrogen/anyone taking this high of a dose? 5mg of Biestrogen/anyone taking this high of a dose?

Unread 07-23-2005, 12:50 PM
5mg of Biestrogen/anyone taking this high of a dose?

I was wondering if anyone was taking this high of a dose? I am now taking 2 1/2 mg 2 xs dly with 100mg of compounded porgesterone. I started out at 2mg and kept having symptoms of low estrogen. I stayed on 3 mg for a few mo then the symptoms came back. So now here I am on 5mg a day. Kind of high I thought, but seems to be working. I also take Armour for thyroid and I understand that can make you have to take more estrogen. Just wondering if anyone else out there takes this high of a dose or any thoughts on why I seem to need such a high dose. The compounding pharmacist said he has some women taking 7mg a day..WOW..he said 3mg in a norm for alot of women, but some need more and some need less.
Unread 07-23-2005, 02:06 PM

Me, Im like you. Yet Im not balanced and still trying to find the right levels. Im currently on 3mgs of estradiol.. my pharmacist raised my progesterone to 75mgs in a capsule and I still did not feel good. At any rate, Im wondering if the progesterone is keeping the estrogen from working, since it also fights for the same receptors per my doctor. He said that it can keep the estrogen from getting to the tissues. Im not sure what Im doing, I dont know what to do..I dropped my progesterone to 50 mgs. I was having and upset tummy when I started the 75mg so Im not sure if it was that or something else, but I just cant stand feeling sick all the time. They say to take it slow and be patient, its hard being patient when you feel ill and dont know whats causing it.

Now I feel like starting all over again, and stopping the progesterone, but dont feel like going thru a whole slew of other symptoms, but its looking that way. All I know is my doc will allow me to use what I want if it makes me feel better, but he said that the progesterone fights the estrogen, hence why they give it to you when you have endometriosis i guess.

I dont know anymore. I excercise alot too, and thats another reason why high dose is necessary for me. He said my metablolism just eats it up.

Hope I helped some, but dont listen to me I may be wrong ...ask an expert on here like some of the other women who have helped answer my questions from time to time, however Im not getting any feedback from my last reply. I guess I post too long threads.
Unread 07-23-2005, 02:21 PM

have you had your hormone blood levels checked lately?
Unread 07-23-2005, 04:40 PM

yea, about 2 wks. ago.. but only estrogen. and at 2mg or 2 1/2 it was 132.8... reason why i say 2mgs or 2 1/2 is because i was taking 2 then went to 2 1/2 4 days before they drew my blood.
Unread 07-23-2005, 05:43 PM

I go for a full blood work up next week. Am eager to see the results. I did not know that progestrone fights against estrogen. I had thought that progestrone helps to balance out estrogen. Maybe that's my problem. I tried progestrone when I first had my TAH almost 2 yrs ago and it made me worse. Body aches, especially legs. I think alot of my problems comes from my thyroid med. I don't know what to do. Guess I'll wait and see what my blood test say. Maybe I'll have some answers then.
Hugs to all
Kim
Unread 07-24-2005, 01:09 AM

Progesterone does indeeed fight for the same estrogen receptors and bear in mind that excess estrogen can also cause the same side effects as to little estrogen. Blood levels of 132 sounds like you are getting a fairly good amt of estrogen.
Unread 07-24-2005, 07:08 AM

Hi KKG

I use 7.5 mg of Bi-est in a cream form. Even though is sounds like a high dose...The 5 mg you are taking is actually a fairly normal dose. If you were to compare it to a patch it would roughly be the same as .1 mg of Vivelle dot. If you were to compare it to a pill form of estrogen it would roughly be the same as 2 mg Estrace.

Is your progesterone in a cream form? The reason I ask is because when I was using 100 mg of progesterone in a cream form, I would keep winding up with low estrogen symptoms. The progesterone dose fight for the estrogen receptors and unfortunately the estrogen will loose the fight. I lowered my dose to half the progesterone and everything has been fine since. Progesterone dose help balance the estrogen...but just as with any other hormone, too much can be just as bad as not enough.

Unread 07-24-2005, 08:35 AM

Hi Tabby, Thanks for the reply. I feel a little better about the dose now. I use to take 1mg of climara patch and tried the Vdot also. Didn't work out. Then I took 2 mg of estrodiol w/no progestrone. Finally decided to do the compounded, friend of mine does so good on it. My progestrone is also compounded in pill form. I'm wondering about dropping it to 50mg a day instead of taking the 100 mg. Maybe that's my problem. I also am feeling very aggessive now and still have some of the body aches. When I've tried to drop my dose of estrogen, the aches and headaches PMS comes back. So I need a higher dose of estrogen to keep those symptoms away. I tried the progestrone cream when I first started this, and did not do well on it. Made my legs ache really bad. So I'm not sure which direction to go down. I guess I'll just wait until by blood work comes back next week or the week after and see where the numbers are at. Thanks alot.
Hugs Kim
Unread 07-24-2005, 09:26 AM

I'm glad you are getting blood levels drawn. Testosterone is an important mix in this equation as well. I've found that it is like a "booster" in combating many of these symptoms. Hang in there. Mary margo

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.