HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Will I still need to see gynecologist? Will I still need to see gynecologist?

Unread 07-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Will I still need to see gynecologist?

I saw my GP yesterday for the usual blood pressure check, etc. I mentioned that the gynecologist would probably be managing the hormone stuff for now. He said there was no reason to ever go back to her again, since she took out everything. I know he is not happy that she put me on estrogen. He thinks I should only be on progestrone and only for a short time. His comment put me off a little "Once your car is fixed, you don't take it back to the mechanic--she's just a mechanic!" Do you still continue to see your gynecologist even after a hysterectomy (took ovaries too) or is there really no reason to ever go back?
Unread 07-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Your Dr. is giving you wrong information. I am to see my GYN every year for a pelvic exam to check the vagina and make sure nothing like cancer, etc is developing.
You should talk to your GYN about it.
Unread 07-23-2005, 05:37 PM

My last post-op visit my GYN she told me she would see me in a year. I still have my ovaries BUT there is always the chance that you can get vaginal cancer and cancer of your vaginal cuff, at least that's what my GYN told me. I would rather be safe than sorry!!!

Shan
Unread 07-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Reguarding GYN visit

Violet51, I too agree with the other ladies, you still need to see your GYN for Paps. They will take the sample off the cuff. This Doc is giving you miss information in my opinion! Take Care Netty
Unread 07-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Thanks ladies! I was hoping that some of you that were a ways further out than me could chime in. That's what I thought!
Unread 07-23-2005, 06:41 PM

Yea, that's what my OBGYN said after I asked him if he took my cervix. Yes, but you still have to come in for exams. You may or may not get a pap smear, depending on your doctor, but you still need to be examined. Not to mention the yearly breast and node exam they do. I've never had my GP do that.
Unread 07-23-2005, 11:49 PM

Ditto!

I will continue to have an annual exam and pap smear for as long as I live.

Carol
Unread 07-24-2005, 12:38 AM

My doc also still wants me to have a yearly exam and especially a pap smear due to possible exposure to DES. This can make vaginal cancer more likely. Please make sure that you ask your gyn about this yearly visit as it is your life not your other doctor's.

Judy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.