HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

is a cystoscopy painful? is a cystoscopy painful?

Unread 07-27-2005, 08:21 PM
is a cystoscopy painful?

Hi
I go for my cystoscopy and surgical consultation next Wed. The practioner ordered the cystoscopy right after I had my urodynamic test done. I guess the readings warranted me to need this other test. She did not tell me how it is done and what it would feel like. The uro/gyn will be doing it in his office.
Do they numb you in any way or is that needed? I just want to know what to expect. Will the dr. know if there is anything wrong as he does this test? I am guessing he will, as my consultation follows immediately afterwards.
I've had so many tests in the last 15 months. I am no longer modest, but sure would like to know what to expect.
I have to go back to see me Gyn later in the day after the appt with the uro/gyn. I had my yearly on the 15th and my gyn did a pap smear.(I had my cervix removed with my TAH)I got a call today and said he didn't get enough cells to get a test result, so he wants me to come back in to do it over. Just what I need.The good thing is I will know earlier that day what course of action the uro/gyn will take as far as my treatment, so I will be able to let my gyn know. I will also be able to get my mammo and bone density results while I am in there for the pap. I also have some questions to ask as my hormone levels have increased and he said I am in early menopause.I thought by leaving my ovaries, everything would remain the same, except for no more bleeding. I guess I was wrong.
Peggy
Unread 07-27-2005, 08:31 PM
is a cystoscopy painful?

Hi there. I had this procedure done in April. I was very nervous about it. I have IC, and I was concerned that it would hurt. It was ok. They do put in some numbing solution b4 they do the procedure. It was a lot better than I thought that it was going to be. Good luck. Take care.
Unread 07-27-2005, 08:32 PM
is a cystoscopy painful?

Peggy, I know what you mean about lots of tests. I've been through practially everything this past year. Tomorrow will be my third surgery in 5 months.

I had a cystoscopy several months ago in the Dr office. They first numbed the urethra a bit, which felt like a pinch (hurt a bit) but went away immediately. Then when they put the camera thing in, I didn't even feel it. The Dr justs movs it around and looks at the lining of your bladder. They will know right there if there is something wrong. After the test, I did feel like I had to pee constantly for about an hour or so, but that went away too.

Good luck. It really is not all that bad at all.
Unread 07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
is a cystoscopy painful?

Peggy,
I have had several cystoscopies. Thinking about it is worse than going through it. They insert a numbing gel into your urethra. A burning pinch, but the anesthetic affect is almost immediate. Then, after a few minutes (to make sure you are numb), they insert the scope. It pinches for a minute when it goes in.

Oh...and they can fill your bladder with the scope once it is inserted. It is a weird feeling, and don't be surprised if there is a little bit of a water fall going on, but that is their problem to clean up, not yours!!

The entire process...from numbing to the end is maybe 15 minutes top. Often you will be given an antibiotic so you don't get a UTI. You may be a bit of blood during urination the first few times, but not buckets full. And, it is a little sore to pee for the first day or so, but that, too is manageable.

Good luck with the test, and let us know how you are doing!

Many hugs,
Dee
Unread 07-28-2005, 07:53 PM
is a cystoscopy painful?

My cystoscopy was done in the day surgery unit at the hosp. and I was completely out. My dr. didn't mention doing it in his office and I'm glad he didn't- I don't think I would've gone through with it if he had- I was too nervous about it. I bled a little while after the procedure but it was not too bad.
Unread 07-30-2005, 06:08 AM
is a cystoscopy painful?

i've had 3. just like everybody else said... it's really not a problem. the only discomfort i had was when the gyno was looking side to side there was pressure. but after i emptied my bladder after it was done, i was fine. good luck.
Unread 07-30-2005, 07:11 AM
is a cystoscopy painful?

I had mine in the spring as well. I didn't know the doc was going to do this test in the office so I was surprised when he said he was gonna take a look right there! It wasn't pleasant but wasn't horrible either. I don't know if he numbed it ... tho I don't think he did. It took only a few minutes and he was done. I think the worst part for me was the pain with urination afterwards. For me, it lasted a couple days and was very bad. But, I later found out I had a UTI. That may explain it.
Good luck! LuAnn
Unread 07-30-2005, 08:04 PM
is a cystoscopy painful?

I had this procedure done several times too, and it's really not painful..a little ackward, and burned a tiny bit...didn't hurt during the procedure..but lots of water...kind of a odd feeling but nothing bad..I felt ok right afterward
Unread 07-31-2005, 06:39 PM
is a cystoscopy painful?

Thanks ladies. I feel better about this now. I am actually looking forward to getting this overwith and having the surgery consultation on the 3rd. I am planning on starting back to school this fall and want to put all of these surgeries behind me.I had 3 within 9 months and probably facing another one.
Peggy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.