HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

ok for xanax night before and/or day of? ok for xanax night before and/or day of?

Unread 08-03-2005, 12:51 PM
ok for xanax night before and/or day of?

sorry i keep writing but i am just going through the final dreaded anxiety stages. all your posts have helped me and thank you so much. i was wondering do you think it would be ok to take a xanax first thing in the morning with just a bit of water? or would that mess up the anesthesia?
Unread 08-03-2005, 01:11 PM

Hi Laura

I think you really should check with the dr on that one.
It might be fine, it might be a bad idea - - only the drs can tell you for certain.
---- and don't hesitate to tell them any concerns you have about NOT taking it in the a.m.

Usually they give you something to help you relax about 1 hour before surgery in anycase, so try not to stress about this aspect of your preparations.
Unread 08-03-2005, 01:12 PM

I would take nothing!! I know you want to relax a bit, but I would ask your doctor first. I know i cant even drink water after midnight before my surgery. I had a few sips of a French Vanilla Capichino the morning I had my ablasion/d&c, and they almost didnt do the operation. If you really feel like you need it, i would take it before they tell you not to eat or drink. but again, i would really ask your Dr. espcially with something like that.
Hang in there girl!! It will be fine. Just think how great your going to fell when all this is done!! Think Positive!!!!! When is your surgery?? Mine is 8/9.
Marnee
Unread 08-03-2005, 01:21 PM

surgery is tomorrow!!!eeeekkkkk
Unread 08-03-2005, 01:22 PM

Definitely ask first, my doctor doesn't want me to take any of my medications before surgery. It could react with the other meds they give you. They will give you something before your surgery that will help even more than Xanax. Definitely ask your doctor though, I agree with the above.

I am nervous as well. Try to keep busy today and focus on the good. I will be thinking of you as well tomorrow when we are both having our surgeries!

It will all be fine, it is almost over with, I am so glad I won't have to feel the nervousness anymore after tomorrow.
Unread 08-03-2005, 01:45 PM

good luck to you too
Unread 08-03-2005, 02:19 PM

I took xanax the night before so that I could get a little rest. I didn't take any in the morning, but they do give you something in your IV before the surgery. Make sure that you will explain to the anesthesiologist that you are anxious. They are happy to help.
Unread 08-03-2005, 02:24 PM

Hi Laura!
I was very nervous about my surgery, which was 03-03-05. The doctor had given me Xanax to take the night before. I took one around 10:00 the night before, had a shower was waiting for my husband to get home, when I woke up it was 5:00 the next morning. With just taking the one Xanax the night before, I was still relaxed when I got to the hospital. They gave me something in my IV after I was ready for surgery, that helped me also. This was my first surgery ever, but everything went great. Good luck tomorrow, you are in my prayers.
Unread 08-03-2005, 02:30 PM

I would say the night before is OK, but not the morning of surgery. I was told not to take any of my meds before surgery...and "not even one drop of water", no gum, no nothing!

That's just my

Best wishes and don't worry...they put something in my IV before it was time to go...I don't even remember going through the doors! Never saw the OP room, and have no memory of the recovery room either! Wow, must have been some good stuff!
Unread 08-03-2005, 04:38 PM

My dr told me to take my Xanax the morning of the surgery, just to make sure and tell the nurses. I did and had no problems. All drs are different!

Andrea

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway