HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Over 50? - Thee and Me!

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How do you deal with the rough skin on feet? How do you deal with the rough skin on feet?

Unread 08-06-2005, 09:50 AM
How do you deal with the rough skin on feet?

Hi everyone,

I hope someone out there has found something that helps the dry, rough skin in the bottom of feet and heels. I started using pumice in the shower. I also bought a foot cream with glycolic acid in it, but was wondering if any old lotion would get the same results.

So if any of you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.

It seems I've only noticed my feet this summer since I've been wearing sandles more and socks less.

Wilma
Unread 08-06-2005, 10:26 AM

Wilma.
You first must get the rough skin on the bottom of your heels removed.. There are many ways to do this, use a file that is specailly designed for this purpose, or just a regular emery board that has a very course grit, you can file the skin on the heels while you are watching tv, and just relaxing. After all the rough dry skin is gone, just put simple old vaseline on every night, with socks, and go to bed. After a week or two, the skin should show some improvemnet, and then you can just use lotion, any old lotion should do the trick. If the skin starts to get dry and cracked again, start from the beginning. My Dh has really bad dry and cracked feet, and I do this to him about every 2 weeks, and it keeps the worst of it at bay.
Good luck.
snickers
Unread 08-06-2005, 04:23 PM

Hi Snickers,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought of the vaseline and socks overnight, but hadn't tried it yet. I meant to buy vaseline and forgot it my last trip to the store. I'll give it a try.

I love your name. It makes me think of a favorite candybar.

Wilma
Unread 08-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Thanks. I would like to think of myself as a sweet candy bar, but since the hyst and subsequent hormone imbalances, I am quite the opposite. If you know what I mean................
hope the vaseline works for ya
snickers
Unread 08-06-2005, 04:43 PM

I forgot to mention too, there is a product that you can buy at most beauty supply stores, that is a sloughing lotion, you put it on and rub, the skin that is dead and dry, just rolls off, just like magic. the one I use on DH is peppermint scented. Smells nice
snickers (again)
Unread 08-06-2005, 05:50 PM

I use Gold Bond (in a blue tube) medicated foot cream..it also has some wonderful peppermint in it..
I put it on my feet w/sockies overnight and...in only a couple of nights it softens up my feet and they are beautiful!! No need to exfoliate/pumice the skin..I don't know what it does...but it's worked magic on my feet!!
Colorado is very dry..and I have more problems in the winter, but use this year round and it keeps the feet very soft and pretty!!

Shoozie
Unread 08-09-2005, 07:42 PM

Hi Wilma,

This year I tried Kerasal. Well it is sticky and I'm afraid of getting it on the carpet.

The best lotion for my feet has been the Bermudiana Passion Flower lotion. It got used up.

Hubby and I need to take another trip to Bermuda. We travel in "Lonely Planet" style, renting a small cottage with a kitchen. Eat out at wonderful restaurants every other night. And the cottage has garden picking priviledges.

Makes me wistful just to think of it.

Susan
Unread 08-10-2005, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I'm making a list of creams to try.

Susan, I know what you mean about the lotion making your feet sticky and the need to protect the carpeting. The Barielle AHA I'm using does the same thing. I've also been using a urea 40% lotion to soften the skin before applying the Barielle. I'd rather go to Bermuda to buy the Passion Flower lotion.

Thanks shoozie and snickers for suggesting the peppermint exfolient, I've looked at some and considered it if I don't have success with my present regimen. I LOVE peppermint scented lotions.

Here's to soft feet.
I plan to ask my dermatologist on Fri. what he suggests.

Wilma
Unread 08-13-2005, 05:11 AM

Hi there,

I went to the dermatologist yesterday and asked him if any old cream would soften my soles and he of course had said no. He suggested AmLactin XL which is sold over the counter. I did a quick search online for it and it is pricey, so if anyone wants to try it you should do a price comparison online.

He wrote me a prescription for the urea 40 lotion I had had a sample of and tried. He thinks that is an awesome skin softener.

I'm always amazed at the plethora of creams and lotions the dermatologist suggests for every skin affliction. Sheesh!

Thanks again ladies for some good suggestions.

Wilma
Unread 08-13-2005, 11:13 PM

Hi Wilma,

Don't you hate when it does that? I vowed this year not to go barefoot and up until the day I went outdoors with no shoes, my feet were pretty and soft.
Just one day out for a few minutes (on brick) and what a mess!!! I wear sandals all the time and go barefoot inside all day. It only happens to me when I go outdoors.
Best of luck with your creams...I'm keeping my shoes on!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway