HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

have to push to pee - anyone exp this?? have to push to pee - anyone exp this??

Unread 08-06-2005, 12:18 PM
have to push to pee - anyone exp this??

Had LAVH with A & P repair on 7-21. Long story short - catheter removed several times during castle stay, unable to void on my own, came home with catheter...removed it twice in the 10 days post-op - couldn't pee each time - no urge - nothing.....now self cathing 4-5 times a day.

This past Thursday - finally was able to pee on my own, but I could tell I was not emptying, so I had to cath myself and got 600cc residual. This has happened for the past few days, I void in am, then once I cath for residual, everything shuts off again.

Problem is - when I pee - I have to really push, like I am having a BM - just to get the urine out. I am so sore from pushing. Talked to my gyn yesterday, she says not to push too hard, but to do my best to void on my own. She thinks this is strange that my urine doesn't come out easily.

Anyone else had this problem? Could my cystocele repair be causing my urinary retention and my inability to void unless I push?

Any help is appreciated!!

lesuregal
Unread 08-06-2005, 12:29 PM

All I know is what my urology nurse told meand that is first relaxeverything.If you tighten everything you are defeating the purpose.Sit with your legs apart as much as possible,lean forward and rest your elbows on your knees.This places your bladder in a dependent position.The weight of the abdominal organs will press on the bladder and help you empty your bladder without pushing or straining.If you don't get it all out,get up ,walk around, and bow a couple of times,then sit down and try again.This repositions the urine again and helps the rest to come out.I used this info in the first few weeks and it really helped me a lot.Please try it and see if it helps you.She told me that straining makes everything shut down.It also makes everything swell more,and that makes matters worse also.Hope this works for you.-Marsha
Unread 08-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Lesuregal, I have not had as much trouble as you are having, but I noticed it was harder to go, and I don't get that "pee urge" anymore. My urologist (I had a TVT--like a sling only less invasive) said that it was probably because the uterus used to press against my bladder and now the bladder has more room.

Hang in there, and keep asking questions and demanding answers if you don't get them. I do hope you see some improvement soon.
Unread 08-06-2005, 01:18 PM

My problem wasn't as bad as yours, but still............

I finally managed to go on my own, without cath, by first sitting on the toilet and then bending over and placing hands on the floor. Yes, your bottom will lift off seat and it's not a very comfortable position, but it really helped me to go without cath.

Hope this isn't to graphic, but it's the only way I can explain it and I hope it makes sense and helps you!

Loekie
Unread 08-06-2005, 01:23 PM
had to push to pee too

I had a TVH with A&P repair and TVT sling on this past Wed. I was very concerned at the amount of pressured I needed to pee. I was told to not "bear down" and peeing would get easier, it was from the sling being a little tight. It has relaxed and peeing is getting easier.
Unread 08-06-2005, 06:04 PM

Lesuregal,

Sounds familiar . . . I'm almost 6 months post op and still have times where I feel I have to push down to get it out. If I stopped middle stream, I don't think anything would continue, which is wierd. I find I get this way mostly when I have not voided for awhile. I don't have the same urge anymore, so if I get busy at work I can sometimes go a whole day without getting in the bathroom. I know not good and it's something I try not to practice, but I'm guilty of it. It's really strange because before surgery I was going constantly, like every 30-45 minutes! I also had a LAVH with bladder repair/sling and did have problems after surgery with voiding. My catheter was in for almost a month post - op. I couldn't void for several weeks and they put me on all sorts of meds. My URO said the retention was due to the internal swelling. I noticed when I finally started going that I would start a stream and then couldn't get much more out . . . well one day as I stood up thinking I was done even though I felt like I couldn't empty a whole other stream started flowing out (and I am hunched over the toilet). I think that when I stood a little the position allowed some of the swelling in there to shift or release because it was like I could feel an opening all of a sudden inside and it was such a relief ! Now when I feel I can't get it out I move on one leg (lifting the other off the toilet) or hunch over almost standing and I seem to be able to release what is left. I know this all sounds a bit ridiculous, but from one who has dealt with not being able to pee I can tell you that I will try just about anything to avoid catheters!

Hang in there, jmw

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway