HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

over the counter hormone replacement over the counter hormone replacement

Unread 08-20-2005, 05:40 AM
over the counter hormone replacement

I was on estraderm patch for five years(was doing well)until last year when my doctor said it was time to get off the hrt. He put me on Premarin(which was awful).
So I took myself off of it. Switched PCP and he said I
need to be on hrt. He recommended Estroven. However I am reluctant to take anything with soy, because I was tested for allergeries as a teenager and soy was one of things I was allergic to. Need some recommendations for good over the counter medicine.
Thank you.
Unread 08-20-2005, 10:24 AM

Frau,
I've moved your post here to the No Hormone Desert Oasis. The ladies here can't or don't take hormones. They should be able to help you with some ideas of what has worked for them.

Estrogen is not available over the counter. The stuff that is available over the counter is usually supplements that may help with some of the symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes. Estroven contains contains both black cohosh and soy isoflavones, but is not hrt.
Unread 08-21-2005, 08:29 AM
alternatives

Hi Frau! Have you looked into black cohosh? It is marketed under the name Remifimen and also available at health food stores and GNC.
Unread 08-21-2005, 09:58 AM

Thank you for the advice. We have no health food stores nearby. But I think I've seen it in the drug stores.
Unread 08-21-2005, 11:18 AM

My gyno recommended Remifemin to me also after I got off of the HRT due to the constant nausea. I purchased it at CVS. They have been using it in Europe for over 40 years and the studies I read on it were good. I'm afraid I can't tell you how it worked for me because I haven't needed to take it yet. My major symptoms were the anxiety and mood swings and he put me on Wellbutrin for those and so far I haven't had any other symptoms. I am almost 50 though and was having them a few years ago so I may have been past them. He told me to take a good multi-vitamin, calcium and do weight bearing exercise (mainly walking) to combat osteoporsis. So far I am feeling so much better off than on the HRT! Take Care. Vickey
Unread 08-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Thank you Vickey. I need to be on something. I've felt worse since I've been off HRT. I need to keep on an even keel right now. My son
left for Irag July 1. I changed jobs last year and am hoping to make another change this year. I'm still with the same employer. Just trying to improve my standard of living.
Becky
Unread 08-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Becky, I am so sorry, I understand completely. My son and his wife are both leaving for Army boot camp at the end of the month. I am so scared and worried and wish they had picked any time but now to decide that is what they wanted to do.

My job has also changed considerably at work due to a Charter Change and systems conversion. I am so glad I am on the Wellbutrin or I would be having a complete meltdown right now.

I am so lucky not to be having many other symptoms, a few headaches and muscle aches but I don't sweat anything I can handle with a Tylenol after being sick for so long. I hope you can find some relief also.

I will keep your son and family in my prayers along with the sons and daughters of the rest of our nation and my own. Please feel free to email me during this difficult time with your son if you need some support. Vickey

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.