HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

who's still wearing their binder? how long should you wear it? who's still wearing their binder? how long should you wear it?

Unread 08-21-2005, 11:03 AM
who's still wearing their binder? how long should you wear it?

They put a binder on my at the hospital and it is my best friend! When i take a shower i feel like my stomach is hanging and pulling on the stitches and can't wait until i get my binder back on. My question is when are you supposed to wean yourself off the binder??
Unread 08-21-2005, 12:18 PM

GOOD QUESTION!! I wonder the same. I use it when necessary. Mostly at night because it helps me be able to sleep on my sides. Toward the end of the day I sometimes put it on just because my tummy feels heavier.

I would love to know if there is ever a 'too long' to wear the binder.
Unread 08-21-2005, 01:41 PM

What is a binder? I had LAVH/BSO 8/15. Is that like belly band? I didn't use anything.
Unread 08-21-2005, 01:43 PM

I've read on some posts where women use the binders quite a few weeks post-op. Never heard of there being a "to long" situation.
I wore mine till about day 12, when my staples were taken out.
I quit wearing it only because I felt it was time for my stomach muscles to get back to work. A light weight panty girdle type thingy works well too. I still use one when things get achey.

Boy, do I remember that feeling that things were falling out all over w/out the binder...and wondering if I ever was going to be able to sleep comfortably again!!
It gets better, really!
Unread 08-21-2005, 01:51 PM

a binder is made with stretch material and wraps around your body and connects with velcro. it helps hold the incision area tight so you don't feel like you are falling out. i love mine!!
Unread 08-21-2005, 02:40 PM

I haven't had the hystectomy yet but I had hernia surgery that left a 10in verticle scar straight downt he middle of my belly. I woke up from surgery with the binder on and didn't realize how much is did until they took it off to check the incision. They couldn't get it back on fast enough. I think I wore it for about 6 wks and after that only when I was tired, did too much or at the end of the day. A the time of surgery, about 10 years ago, I had a 9mos old, 2.5 yr old and 5 yo with ADHD. So it didn't take much to get into the over did it stage.

PMM
Unread 08-21-2005, 04:09 PM

I am the opposite, I can hardly wait to take it off because of swelly belly at the end of the day. I wear it when I know I am going to be on my feet a lot. What a relief to hear that velcro unfastening and letting it all hang out.
Unread 08-21-2005, 06:23 PM

i wore mine for 23 days didnt want to give it up but i felt i needed to or ide never give it up lol my dr said i could wear it for as long as i needed too but dont worry after a couple days without it and u dont feel like things r falling out no more lol
Unread 08-21-2005, 09:14 PM

I have been wearing mine for a month tomorrow!!!

Actually when I went to the Dr. last week - she asked me where mine was!!! So, I don't think there is a too long stage!! lol

I love mine... but at the end of the day once swelly belly has set in it feels really good to get it off!!!

I have not slept with mine for a few weeks now though.

ALWAYS wear it on car rides - I live on a bumpy road and it makes me feel more secure with it on!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.