HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Trouble urinating after getting catheter out? Trouble urinating after getting catheter out?

Unread 08-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Trouble urinating after getting catheter out?

Hi Everyone,

I am 8 days post-op. from a TVH & cystocele/rectocele repair. I just got my catheter out this morning. However, I still can't urinate. My gyn. had me come back to the office this afternoon and showed me how to self-catheterize after removing almost 800cc's from my bladder. I'm getting really scared that I'll never be able to go again normally. All I can manage is an occasional trickle. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to help remedy the situation. I've been prescribed a muscle relaxer for the bladder. I've tried warm baths and running water. I've also tried every position imaginable to try and just pee!! UGH!!

kjmay39
Unread 08-26-2005, 08:41 PM

I sympathize w/ you! I had the same problem, only not as long as you are suffering through it. I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital until I coule pee on my own. They threatened to re-catheterize me, but after 2 days I did finally go.

Now I am still having a lot of trouble peeing and pain when I do go. It is an issue I am going to ask my Dr. about at my appt. this Tuesday.
Unread 08-26-2005, 08:46 PM

Thanks for your input Kartha. I just finished doing my first self-catheterization. It was awful. I got 400cc's out. I'm getting really freaked. Maybe that is contributing to the problem. Good luck at your Tuesday appt.

kjmay39
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:11 PM

Thanks!

Hopefully if you can stop stressing over it, it'll just happen normally. Just a thought, has your Dr. checked you for blockages in your urinary tract or any other problems?

Good luck to you too!
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:19 PM

Hi Kartha,

No, my gyn. has not checked for any blockages himself, but he sent me to a urologist for a cystoscope before he scheduled surgery. I would think that any blockages would have shown up then. I have to go back for another appt. next Friday. He said that if I am not going normally by then, he will send me back to the urologist.

kjmay39
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:23 PM

That's good that you were checked out. Let me know how it goes for you. I have to ask my Dr on Tuesday about my "pee problems" so I'll let you know what I find out.
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:24 PM

I would recommend trying a sitz bath. My bladder was damaged when my first child was delivered. It took me a while to be able to go. A sitz bath helped me relax and helps thing to not be so swollen and tender down there. As a bonus it helps clesn your repairs and sooths those areas also. HTH, Angela
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:27 PM

my mom just had a A and P repair with a bladder sling, and she was self cathetering at 14days still. right aroudn there she finally was going enough on her own (only getting less than 50cc with the catheter) where as in the beggining she was getting her max of 800cc with the catheter.

For her it just took alot of time. GL I hope you get success on yoru own soon.
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:40 PM

Thanks dawskar,nlynn, and Kartha,

That makes me feel a little bit better knowing someone else has had the same problem. I hope your mother is doing better nlynn!! I think that I need to just relax and not become a head-case over this. I am just so tired of dealing with gyn. health issues. I had my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed 9 months ago due to borderline precancer/stage 1 ovarian cancer. The TVH for uterine prolapse and a & p repair have been delayed since my Nov. surgery because of problems with my blood. I finally had a "normal" cbc, so my gyn. went ahead with the latest surgery on August 18th. I am really thankful though, because the Nov. surgery was suppose to be just an ablation to stop heavy bleeding, and my gyn. found the ovarian problem. I thank God everyday for finding it at an early stage. If it wasn't for the heavy bleeding, I don't think the OvCa would have been discovered until I had full blown cancer. Thank you all for listening. I'm really trying to have a more positive outlook.

kjmay39
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:44 PM

wow kjmay39 you are very lucky it was caught early!! I think your bladder will just take some time to come around. My moms doc reccomended of corse always trying to on her own first, and then in the earlier days to self catheter every 4hrs. Then when that was going well to try and stretch out to 8hrs, until the output amount was down enough. ((HUGS)) If your not noticing an improvement over a number of days then I would defintely get checked out again to just to be safe.

((HUGS))

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.