HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Trouble urinating after getting catheter out? Trouble urinating after getting catheter out?

Unread 08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Trouble urinating after getting catheter out?

Hi again,

I'm also suppose to try and go as much as possible on my own. The self cath. is suppose to be a last resort, although he recommended I do it morning, mid-afternoon, and before bed to prevent infection. Good night everyone. I really need to try and get some sleep while my bladder is feeling somewhat empty. I had no naps today between going to the dr. twice and trying all day to "pee."

kim (kjmay39)
Unread 08-27-2005, 02:07 AM

I'm sorry about your catheter and peeing problems. I've had a lot of experience with both of these issues in the past. After my first baby (difficult forcep delivery) I couldn't void. They had to send me home with a foley catheter for two weeks. It did get better eventually, but took a lot of time. My bladder was never really the same after that, which eventually led to my hysterectomy and bladder repairs. Prior to surgery URO decided to put in suprapubic catheter so I could retrain my bladder to work if necessary. He suspected with my history there might be problems and was right. I had the catheter for almost a month post op. I couldn't pee at all for the first few weeks. He stated the main reason I couldn't void was all the internal swelling and that it just takes time. That might be your problem too. He prescribed two different meds to help. First, I was given Flomax, which is a prostrate med given to men YIKES, this freaked me out but then the pharmacist told me it's been used for females with retention issues. Then when that didn't work he also put me on Urecholine 3x/day. Eventually things did start working better, but it did take a long time. I had the same fears you are having . . . will I ever pee again, will I have to go back to work with a catheter, etc etc. It is scary and frustrating but probably you just need more time to heal. You had a lot of repairs and when they mess with the bladder it can get pretty angry. Make sure you are drinking lots of water and voiding frequently, as this will help with not retaining too much. And you do want to self-cath if you are not voiding much, as too much urine in your bladder can cause bladder infections (from the bacteria) and sometimes causes long term problems with your bladder function.

Hang in there, jmw
Unread 08-27-2005, 06:52 AM

Thanks so much jmw for your input. Your story is very much like mine. My gyn. has told me that my problems definitely stemmed from 4 childbirths, two of which he further added were forcep deliveries (he delivered my babies as well). I too, have taken flomax prior to my surgery. I laughed when I read that it was generally used for men with prostate problems. Did you read some of the side effects associated with it? That gave me a few more laughs. Anyways, I had to go off it because it gave me headaches and rapid pulse. I am presently taking Bethanechol which is the generic form of the same med. you are taking (the one beginning with a U.) I only started it yesterday so can't say that it is helping yet. Thanks again for your great advice and I definitely understand the importance of doing the self-cath. (I even had to get up at 3:00 am this morning to do it again because of course I couldn't pee and therefore couldn't go back to sleep with a full bladder). I emptied 400cc's again UGH!! Take care and God bless you! Kim (kjmay39)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.