HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

8 cm complex septated cystic lesion 8 cm complex septated cystic lesion

Unread 09-05-2005, 11:07 PM
8 cm complex septated cystic lesion

i am new here, so first off ill tell you a little about my histoy. i am only 30 yrs old and have already lost my left ovary due to a 6 cm cyst that returned about 3 weeks after having a left ovarian cystectomy. anyways, i have been dx w/ adenomyosis as well. i was doing well for a while, esp. when i was off my bc pills, but went back on them per my doc's advice (due to the adenomyosis) i have been having a few small simple cysts on my right ovary, that send me to th e.r. or the docs office every few months. no problem, they rupture and i go on about my life. in july i went to the doc who sent me to the e.r. (again) to be check out d/t the pain in my right lower quadrant. i was diag. w/ a 4.8 cm cyst, given percocet and provera to bring on my period and hopefully to dissolve the cyst. well, i had the worst period of my life in august, had a pelvic u/s and to my surprise, the cyst had shrunk to about 3 cm. well, over the past few weeks pain got worse, so i went back on the pill and was to have another u/s after september's period. last night after work i was so ill that i went to the e.r. where i work. there i was given dilaudid, that's how bad it hurt. on u/s exam the resident doc said i had a simple cyst, then she continued to look and saw that it was 6 cm w/ 3 septations. then i went to ct scan to have a better look and the report read: 8 cm complex septated lesion in the r adnexa, process is low density w/ thin peripheral enhancement. septation in the midportion adjacent to the uterus and bladder. the impression (what it could be) was 1. 8 cm septated cystic lesion 2. benign cystic disease 3. endometrioma 4. tube and ovarian abcess 5. cystic neoplasm. i was kept overnight, with the possibility that they would take me to surgery in the am. i wasn't taken in to have it drained, and the resident doc said it will just come right back and that i need a hysterectomy. (my doc doesnt have priv. at my workplace, so thats another problem ill have to deal with). so i guess i just need some input from someone who has had a diagnosis like this and how did it turn out. was it malignant? could this be just a really nasty cyst? my doc called it a tumor and that really scares me. he's a good doc and is not knife happy. i really dont want to lose all my girl parts so young, but it looks like things are headed that way. any responses would be great, sorry this message was so long. god bless. becca
Unread 09-06-2005, 06:25 AM

s

It sounds as though it is time to get your US and CT films and reports and make an appointment with a gynecologic oncologist ASAP. They are the true experts with ovarian problems, not an ob/gyn.
Hopefully the cyst/mass is benign and your fertility can be preserved.
Best wishes.

oxoxo karenann
Unread 09-06-2005, 07:35 AM

Hi Becca I can't give you advice about your condition; karenann's seems very good. Just wanted to let you know you've come to a great site with your questions or concerns. Fantastic site; fantastic women! Take care and the best to you!
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Becca,
I agree, a second opinion wouldn't hurt.
I suspect though that all will be well with you, but probably worthwhile
to get some other opinions before they take out the girl parts!
I'm 30 years old and was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and had all my parts removed... it was a tough thing to do, especially as I had no children of my own. Aside from that, it felt too like a piece of my womanhood was gone... kinda felt like I got snorfleed like a dog. But I have my life and I am thankful for that. But you better believe I was getting second, third, and fourth opinions before I went forward with the surgery!
I wish you all the best.
-millie
Unread 09-07-2005, 02:33 PM

Becca,
I too have been suffering with chronic ovarian cysts for many yrs now.
always having the follow up US/Transvag's and running to the ER when they burst.
I've been doing research for quite some time now on the different types of ovarian cysts and found that emedicine.com happens to be the best information so far that I've read. just go to emedicine.com and type in ovarian cysts. there's multiple information on it.

It's helped answer alot of my fears. I'm still confused and fearful at times of what the radiologist finds on the scans, and am waiting as we speak for my next cycle to arrive so I can make another trans vag appt. to follow up on what they've found.
I'm tired of going through this monthly and yearly. My older sister is telling me to go ahead and get a hysterectomy for crying out loud.
the only way I will ever take out my uterus, cervix and tubes is if I'm diagnosed with cancer or a condition that would jeapordize my health.
so many doctors and woman are willing to yank out our reproductive systems with a blink of an eye.
I want my precious hormones. the little I have left anyway.
I only have one ovary left due to the left ovary and tube were destroyed from a cyst. when I woke up from the surgeon going in to take alook at what the mass was, I didn't think the entire ovary and tube would have to be removed.
I wasn't that happy when I woke up. he didn't discuss with me the possiblity of removing it to begin with.
but it was necessary so infection didn't progress. it was already turning.
so it's up to us as an individual because each one of us are unique and have different illnessess and different circumstances.
it takes thought and asking around for opinions. how ever long it takes you, take your time in jumping into it. you can't get it back once it's removed.
I wish you well and that what ever your decision is that you are happy, safe, and healthy.
good luck.
Linda S.
Unread 09-07-2005, 03:57 PM

Hi~

I concur with the advise you have been given by Karenann.
I strongly URGE you to seek the advise from a gyno/onc.
Ovarian cysts which are 6 CM or larger and are septated can often times be far more serious than simple cysts. (These are often times referred to as complex cysts)

Again, please seek out opinion(s) from a gyno/onc, not a regular gyno...they just don't have the same expertise.

I all goes well with you and please keep us posted.

's
Heni
Unread 09-08-2005, 07:41 AM
my follow up appt

i went to see the surgeon who will be doing my surgery, probably next week. he answered all of my questions, i didnt even have to get out my list. he is running a ca125 and i will have a repeat u/s this am to make sure what the ct scan read was right. he gave me all the different scenarios of what will happen w/ surgery, he will have to open me up and cannot do it lap b/c the mass is too big, if the ca 125 is elevated he will do the surgery w/ a surgical oncologist. if ca 125 is normal then he will try to "shell" out the mass and leave as much ovarian tissue as he could, but with the way things look that option is pretty slim. he knows my wishes and i believe he will do all that he can to preserve some of the ovary. he went over hrt, the fact that i will be off work for at least 6 weeks, the post op period, etc. he also went through my chart and told me that i have had some sort of cyst on my ovary for over a year and i guess it has just went wild. the residnet md in the hospital where i stayed sun night basically said that they couldn't just drain it or remove it and that i would probably need a tah. i do trust my doc and his partner who will be doing the surgery is very competent. both have real good reps around here. i am to the point that i just want to be healthy and happy. i have had horrible periods for 17 yrs, cysts, etc. i have one child (i had her at 19, everything happens for a reason right!) and some people will never have that chance. i would've like to been pregnant one more time, and have another kid, but oh well, life goes on and i need to be here for the one i have. i appreciate all the sweet responses, and i glad i found this website. i did fall apart yesterday after the appt, but my primary called me in some ativan to help me with my nerves. so i have a good husband, family, doctors, friends, and new friends from this site, ill make it through it. hopefully w/ my girl parts, but if not i guess that will be ok too.
Unread 09-08-2005, 07:51 AM

beccarn~

You wrote:
if ca 125 is normal then he will try to "shell" out the mass and leave as much ovarian tissue as he could, but with the way things look that option is pretty slim.

I just wanted to add that the CA-125 is not always reliable.
My sister's has always been in the normal range even with ovca.

In any event, I still hope you will at least have a gyno/onc present during your surgery.
Unread 09-11-2005, 07:46 PM

i got good news from the doc, the ca 125 is negative. he is still going to try to remove the mass and reconstruct my ovary if he can. i know i have to be realistic about it. i just hope that what ever happens, i will go through it safely and w/o much pain. he said he will be using an "on-q" pain ball. i am a nurse and we've seen mixed results w/ the device. anyone here have it? also what does going to the castle and princess rules mean. boy i would love to have a copy of that. my surgery will be on wednesday, 9-14. i supposed to go to vegas on 9-21, but....... he will not be doing this surgery lap. he said he has to open me to be able to sew/stitch the ovary back together. i am so nervous about all of this, but like i said before, i have a great husband who is so supportive, and wonderful family and friends. anyway, is anyone knows about the princess rules, etc. please let me know...... thanks, becca
Unread 09-11-2005, 08:20 PM
we are with you...jusst a click (or 4) away

Dear Becca, My thoughts and are with you. It's important to have your support group. I hope all turns out well for you...Kepp posted. You can find out about the Castle, et al. by clicking on to top of this page on "new here?" tab. Remain positive

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway