HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Climbing Stairs Climbing Stairs

Unread 09-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Climbing Stairs

My sister has told me that I am not supposed to be climbing stairs. I live in a two story home and climbing up the stairs has been essential in the way I am set up right now. Anyone have any advice regarding stair climbing ?
Unread 09-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Climbing Stairs

Hi Mary,
What type of surgery did you have? I had a TVH and my doctor told me to take the stairs one at a time for 2 weeks. I'm sure there are probably different post-op instructions for a TAH. Good Luck in your recovery - Hugs.
Unread 09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Climbing Stairs

I also had no choice but to climb stairs as I live in a two story home and the bathroom is on the second floor. I just took it slowly for a few weeks and haven't had any problems. Also spent a lot more time upstairs for a few weeks and boyfriend brought me food up there as needed. I hope it works out for you!
Unread 09-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Climbing Stairs

Did your doctor give you any instructions?

Mine told me that I could do a little bit of stairs as soon as I got home from the hospital, but not do alot, and not several times per day.

If you are managing so far, you are probably ok. Try to arrange your day so that you spend most of the day on one level, and only a couple of trips up or down. Soon you won't need to worry about it (but don't carry anything!)
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Climbing Stairs

I'm one week post tah. I too have to use stairs. Doc says stairs are okay just go slow. I go up walking backwards. You use less ab muscles this way. Just try to limit how many times you have to go upstairs.
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Climbing Stairs

I was told I could use the stairs as soon as I got home, depending on how I felt. I had no problems. Just took them slowly and carefully and often had my DS, DD or DH in front and behind me just in case I had a wobbly moment!

Each day got better and I was able to go up them fairly easily within a week.

Check with your doc first and if you get the okay, just make sure you go slowly. And don't do them if you feel uncomfortable, are in pain or feel dizzy or faint!

Best wishes,

Sarah
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Total Hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlinggrl
Hi Mary,
What type of surgery did you have? I had a TVH and my doctor told me to take the stairs one at a time for 2 weeks. I'm sure there are probably different post-op instructions for a TAH. Good Luck in your recovery - Hugs.
Hi Bowlinggrl,

I had a total hysterectomy on 8/29 and no mention was made of using stairs or not. It hasn't hurt when I use them. In fact, getting in and out of bed is more painful than anything.
Thanks for your reply and this is a great site.

Mary
Unread 09-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Climbing Stairs

Hi Mary,

I totally agree -- getting out of bed was harder and more painful than any of the chores or activities I was wondering about, and they don't seem to be worried about our doing that!
Unread 09-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Climbing Stairs

I was allowed to climb stairs right away. I took one at a time for a while and the first couple of days my dh was there to catch me in case I fell. I more dizzy than soreness. And I only did the stairs once a day. After 3-4 days I could manage on my own.
Unread 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Climbing Stairs

Hello, I had my SAH on 8/3/05. And I walked up the steps since day 4. I would walk between 1-4 times a day during the first week and more after that. I was fine. Remember to go slowly. I was released yesterday at my 5 week post op. Remember that everyone heals differently. Listen to your body and you'll be fine! Happy Healing!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.