HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Second Prolapse Repair Second Prolapse Repair

Unread 09-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Second Prolapse Repair

I had TAH,BSO, A&P repair 7/25/05. Four weeks later I had a new prolapse in the lower third anterior portion of the vagina. I am scheduled for surgery 10/05 and I am not seeing the surgeon for another two weeks. I have tons of questions that I have written down. Have any of you gone back for a second surgery? What was it like, how was the pain and how long is the recuperation?
Michelle
Unread 09-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Second Prolapse Repair

Michelle, I am sorry you are havng this prolapse problem now. {{{ S}}} Surgery is no fun any way you look at it. I originally had a rectocele but my UroGYN said he didn't want to do too many things at one time. The rectocele didn't look too bad according to him, and the posterior/rectocele repairs tend to be more painful. Ever since my surgery, I've been having bowel problems with it and I'm afraid I may have to go back and have it fixed now. My doctor is being very conservative because I had a post-op infection and had to be readmitted to the Castle for 4 days after my original surgery and I also have some mesh erosion that hasn't yet healed (Did I say I'm 3 months post-op?) I do know that my bladder repairs needed 3 months of restricted lifting instead of 6 weeks and I was told my TVH took about an hour and the other repairs took about another hour. Be sure to ask your doctor what the restrictions will be for you and about howlong things will take to heal. I hope your next trip to the Castle on the 5th goes well and that you heal perfectly and completely!
Unread 09-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Second Prolapse Repair

I had my TAH 7/2003, then had A&P repairs 9/04, back again for Paravaginal Defect repair and Enterocele with Permisoft graft in 3/2005. Now I have prolapsed again Dr says Cystocele lower third region. He at first said he could not see any prolapse but then did a standing eval and said... OOOH.. there it is.... According to Dr, some womens bodys absorb the material and it does not stay. Lucky me. He is reluctant to do surgery again, says the mesh stuff does not have good results. Wants me to use Estring for 6 weeks to see if that helps. But I can't get the stupid ring to stay up there, So now Dr says use it only at night whle sleeping,at least that way I get a partial dose. I tried that last nite, but today I am really sore and feeling the prolapse. I know these things are not life threatening, but it sure feels like it. I hate being constantly aware of my vagina. Now, I need to wait another 6 weeks. Dr is suppose to be one of the best in So.Calif but he has done the last 2 repairs and they have not worked. Is the 3rd one the charm? How many others have had their surgery fail out there? Did you have the pig graft collegen?
Unread 09-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Second Prolapse Repair

Donna, thank you for taking the time to answer. Can you tell me what your recuperation was like? How was the pain/discomfort after? What were your limitations? How long before you could go back to work? Did the mesh just dissolve? Did you have any symptoms with the enterocele? I'm sorry for so many questions but I have not had my preop appointment yet. I knew what to expect with the hysterectomy but I haven't a clue what to expect with this. Thanks again for your help.
Michelle
Unread 09-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Second Prolapse Repair

I had no problems after the last surgery, and the Dr released me back to work after 2 weeks with 20lb weight restrictions but after my 6week c/u he said everything was good and I could do what ever I wanted. I asked about continuing weight restrictions but he said just do what your body allows you to do. I personally think I overdid it, and I think he missed the lower cystocele when he did the graft. This is the 1st time he checked me standing up. You can not feel the collegen graft(pigskin). I was only in the hospital overnight and only needed painpills the first couple of days. Cystocele feels like a bulge or mass right inside the vagina but when I do a kegel it moves back up inside, but who walk around doing kegels all day. I am focusing on doing them thru out the day hoping that will prevent it from getting bigger until I see the Dr again. Plus trying the Estring to see if that helps build the vaginal wall. As far as the mesh, I have heard that sometimes the mesh erodes. My suggestion- write down every question you can think of. No question is too small or stupid when it comes to your health and your body. Don't be afraid to ask. Good Luck.
Unread 09-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Second Prolapse Repair

i had a cyctocele and rectocele repired on the 12th of august. and i'm just now starting to feel human again!!! i already had a LAVH in 2003 another surgery in 2004 but this one wasPRETTY BAD!!! i'll keep you in my prayers!!
hang in there
Unread 09-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Second Prolapse Repair

I had my tah with no repairs needed in May 2004. In Jan. 2005 I had a enterocele and rectocele repair using pelvicol(pig material)done by my gyn. Sept 2005 I just had a tvt and anterior repair done. I don't think this uro/gyn used any graph material. I wish he would have used pelvicol, because my posterior repair is doing beautifully.
I just found out while in the hospital that mt disc problems are causing my nerve problems, which make me feel no sensations in my vagina. That is why I never felt any pain in my vagina from the posterior repairs or these I just had done. These nerves are being pressed on I guess and also causing me the bowel and bladder issues. I am hoping when I get this fixed I will never prolapse again. It hasn't been pleasant having to get so many repairs.
I suggest having your dr. use pelvicol. My gyn said he has excellant results from it.
Peggy
Unread 09-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Second Prolapse Repair

I had all my repairs done at once (note my signature) and the recuperation period was not that bad. I went to my daughter in law's stepdad's funeral about 2 weeks out and even though it was a bit tiring and hard to sit I even did ok doing that. The rectocele, etc. repair was not all that bad. Worst part of the whole thing was coming home with the suprapubic catheter, but really if it needs to be done it wasn't all that bad.

Hope you feel better.

Sherry
Unread 09-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Second Prolapse Repair

You have all given me so much to thimk about. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am very anxious to get this surgery over with. The first 6-7 weeks after the hysterectomy I couldn't tell what was bothering me more, the abdominal pain/discomfort or the vaginal pain. Now it is the vaginal pain which is getting to me. I am in constant discomfort with swelling and am using the prescription Motrin now more than I have in the past month. I am having severe pain with BM's even though I am not constipated. I had a grade 3 rectocele which never caused me any problems with constipation or elimination at all. Can anyone tell me what symptoms you had with an enterocele?
Michelle
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Second Prolapse Repair

Hi,
I had an enterocele repair done with my hyster. I had a lot of pressure down in the area by my pelvic bone. It was very uncomfortable to sit. I also had a lot of back pain.
Good luck with your new surgery, I find out on Wed, if I to need another surgery.
Are you going to a uro/gyn or just a regular gyn? I am thinking I need a uro/gyn.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.