HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Stitches falling out/dissolving? Stitches falling out/dissolving?

Unread 09-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Stitches falling out/dissolving?

I have read about people noticing that they are "losing their stitches." I am 3 wks post-LAVH and am wondering if I will notice losing the stitches in my vaginal cuff? What will I experience and when? I assume that is a good sign!
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:32 PM

i am just over 7 weeks and i never noticed any of my stitches coming out, and believe me i was looking. probably tmi but sometimes i did notice pieces of something and it wasnt the stitches if you know what i mean.how are ya feeling?
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:49 PM

I just heard about stitches falling out yesterday from a previous thread.

I guess it could happen at about 5 weeks. People have noticed them.

I was told not to freak out.
Unread 09-23-2005, 01:00 PM

I did notice stitches falling out around week 5. Sometimes they would be preceeded by a drop of blood or I would have some spotting afterwards. The one I saw was around week 7. Mine were white. Some women don't see any though.
Unread 09-23-2005, 01:14 PM

Thanks, ladies! Clinique_diva, I feel great. I do have some swelly belly after a long day and in a wierd line across my bikini area (guessing that is vaginal cuff??), and it's mildly sore to lean my belly against the counter putting on my make-up in the morning, but I feel sooo good! It's wierd because sometimes I feel as if I am having "contractions" lol! in my abdomen, and I have noticed how much less tighter my belly is looking since my surgery, so I wonder if it isn't just the healing of whatever was done?

I appreciate your responses ladies. I just wanted to be prepared and not have a big freak-out!
Unread 09-23-2005, 04:45 PM

I'm not sure but my understanding is the vaginal cuff is where the cervix is removed and sewed shut (I have difficulty visually this in relation to my incision). I had a TAH so my doctor said that all of my stitches were internal I wouldn't see any. I also understand that if the surgery was vaginal you may have external stitches that will come out.
Unread 09-23-2005, 08:28 PM

I am going to be 6 weeks post-op on Monday and I have noticed stitches being passed all this week (week 5). I notice them on the TP when I wipe. They are small, a little darker than white and they look like fishing line. About 3 1/2 weeks, after 2 days of cramping and bleeding I had a big tissue like thing come out that was wrapped in the fishing line. My doctor said that was fine and I shouldn't worry (I had called in a panic thinking I lost something I shouldn't have LOL).
Unread 09-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Incision Not Healing

I had a total hysterectomy on 8/22/05 with a belly incision. I have a one inch place on my incision that is Not healing. I am about 6 weeks out now and this is a concern. My doctor seems to think there is no infection and is telling me to just keep it dry. I have been keeping it dry, But it is still seeping and even bleeding sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal?
Unread 09-24-2005, 06:30 PM

I'm with you Shortstop I have a heck of a time envisioning where everything is in there now, and it makes me feel so dumb because I really pride myself on knowing my body inside and out!
Unread 09-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Be glad you don't have stitches pulling apart, that happened to me at 4 weeks and I got to sticks of silver nitrate put on the incision OUCH.
Talk about some pain in the ****....
Kay

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.