HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

premarin question premarin question

Unread 09-24-2005, 06:37 AM
premarin question

What is the difference (besides how to use it) between the oral and vaginal cream. My dr prescribed to cream and I find it kinda messy so I just wondered why she wanted me to use the cream instead of a pill. I thought there might be a specific reason she wanted me on this type. I thought I had read that the cream was absorbed in the vigina but there is still alot of cream dischared for most of morning which I find yucky.I didn't know this when she said she was sure this would help me. Also I have an embarrassing question. I guess using the cream pretty much nips oral sex in the bud? Please let me here from you all.
Unread 09-24-2005, 07:00 AM
premarin question

Hi!

Premarin cream is specifically meant for providing estrogen to the vaginal tissues. An oral dose of Premarin can also provide some benefit to those tissues but the estrogen would be throughout your body (systemic) rather than concentrated in the vaginal tissues.

The creams do tend to be messy, especially at first when more than likely they are being used daily. They aren't so bad after that initial dosing period when the frequency of use drops to 2 or 3 times a week.

If you really dislike the cream there are other options. I use Vagifem which is a tiny estrogen tablet inserted with its own disposable applicator. Another option is Estring which is a vaginal ring inserted and left in place for up to 90 days for continuous release of estrogen. It can be removed during intercourse if it is uncomfortable for you or your partner.

As for oral sex and any estrogen, it's all about timing. Simply use it after sex before you go to sleep. As far as how long any residual product is potent--that's a question to ask your doctor or pharmacist. I honestly don't know!

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 09-24-2005, 08:14 AM
premarin question

do premarin cream and vagifem tablet do the same thing? Wonder why my dr perscribed the one she did? How long before you could tell a difference when you first started using vagifem?
Unread 09-24-2005, 01:21 PM
premarin question

Yes, they do the same thing. The difference as I understand it is that the Premarin cream is stronger and can be more effective for treating dryness/atrophy. How bad were your symptoms? If you aren't happy with the cream you can always ask your doctor for an alternative.

When I started Vagifem around the 7 month post-op mark I used it nightly for two weeks and then twice a week after that. I did feel better after the initial two week dosing period of time.

s
Unread 09-24-2005, 01:27 PM
premarin question

Hello in Kentucky.....
I am also from KY, the Dr gave me the cream at first to help with the healing, I told him the next visit that it was messy and he changed me to the Vagifem tabs, but that so he told me was just for the healing and vaginal dryness. For actual hormone replacement he put me on the patches. Are you not on patches or tablets?
Kay in KY
Unread 09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
premarin question

all my tests showed my hormone levels to be borderline. I was complaining about dryness and loss of sensivity so she is having me try premarin cream. I use it everyother night for a month then a couple of times a week after that. So far I've used it 3 times and can't tell a difference yet.
Unread 09-25-2005, 02:45 AM
premarin question

I have used both premarin cream and vagifem. I actually received a quicker response using the premarin cream. The vagifem made me bloat abdominally, itch vaginally and have back pain. I was also told by the nurse practisioner that I could get a compounded vaginal cream made of estroil and testosterone. I know from experience that the testo cream that u use on the outer vaginal area really helps with sensitivity and lubrication.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway