HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Tummy Tuck during Hysterectomy Tummy Tuck during Hysterectomy

Unread 09-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Tummy Tuck during Hysterectomy

Hello Sisters!

I'm a newbie to hystersisters. My GYN has recommended that I have a total hysterectomy - to be scheduled in mid-Nov. During my last visit with the GYN, I inquired about the possibility of having a tummy tuck during the procedure, and to my surprise the doc was agreeable , and even recommended a PS that he knows well. I am scheduled to meet w/the PS this week, when we (hopefully) can coordinate the GYN and PS schedules to decide upon a surgery date.

I am definately a candidate for at tummy tuck. I have had 2 abdominal surgeries, 3 pregnancies (the most recent being a twin pregnancy). My adbominal area will NOT respond to diet and exercise, even when other areas of my body do. I am 45 years old, and in pretty decent health. My weight is within 10 lbs. of my ideal weight (of course, I'm OVER that ideal # ... I love my carbs ...). I would love to be able, one day, to look in a mirror without feeling disgust ... and to not have my wardrobe choices as extremely limited as they are now.

I have to admit, I'm having mixed feelings regarding the possible upcoming surgeries. Agreeing to the hysterectomy was very difficult for me. I don't want to lose my uterus ... I feel if I do - I'll lose my identity (... is that weird??). Without question ... my most significant accomplishments in life have been centered around my children ... and the happiest times in my life have been when carrying my children, giving birth (despite the pain!), and caring for my newborns (...and toddlers, and even those moody teenagers!). Even though I have no intention of having any more children ... I'm afraid that, without my uterus, I will no longer feel like a complete woman. These feelings did prompt my decision to inquire about the tummy tuck. If I'm going to have to have the hysterectomy ... I might as well have a "perk" for ME! My tummy is a sight ... after two surgeries and it being stretched beyond imagination (my twins weighed a total of 13 lbs. at delivery, and I almost doubled my weight during pregnancy - going from 115 to 208 lbs.!!). . Even though the goal of having a flatter abdomen is encouraging ... I am more than a little worried about having both procedures done at the same time.

Sorry, I'm babbling ... I'll get to the point ... I'm writing to ask if anyone here is considering having a tummy tuck during their hysterectomy. Or ... can anyone give me any idea as to what to expect during and after the procedure(s)?

Any and all advice would be appreciated!
DebbyDee
Unread 09-25-2005, 05:56 PM

There are alot of sister on here who have had both procedures done, try using the search (located in the right hand corner) on the subject. You must be excited to be able to get tummy tuck, kudos to you for treating yourself!!
I am sorry you are so sad about losing your uterus, many women here grieve the loss, and why shouldn't we, like you said some of our greatest accomplishments came from there. Have you gotten a second opinion to make sure this is what you need, you didn't state the reasons why you were getting a hyster.
You have found a great website, there are so many women who know exactly what you are going threw and are here to help and hold your hand or even send a cyber hug .
Unread 09-25-2005, 07:22 PM

Hi Tanner,

Thanks for your reply and for your encouragement. I will search through the posts to find those dealing with TT/Hysterectomy.

Yes ... I have gotten a second opinion. The 2nd doctor was in full agreement with the first doc. I have fibroids (and have had them for about 15 years). Over the years, I've gone the route of "watchful waiting", a D&C, and years of birth control pills to control the bleeding. Each of these methods worked ... although temporarily. The fibroids have increased in size to the point that my fibroid-filled uterous is measuring at about a 16-wk pregnancy. I have excessive bleeding -- either bleeding or spotting about 2/3 of the month. I have also had a history of ovarian cysts (one bad-boy requiring surgery to remove ) ... so it has been recommended that I have a complete hyst - with immediate HRT. (I'll go from pre-menopausal to post-menopausal in a matter of hours ... !).

Thanks again for your encouragement. I'm sooo glad I found this message board ... I need lots of girlfriends right now!

DebbyDee
Unread 09-26-2005, 05:55 AM

to this wonderful site filled with information and very supportive Hystersisters.
I also asked about a TT when consulting about my Hysterectomy. I was 54 years old at the time. My ob/gyn said it was a great idea. I had lost 55 pounds, but that stomach was just hanging there, not going anywhere. I was a size 10 person trapped with a size 16 waist/abdomen.
I consulted with the plastic surgeon-he told me all the different types of abdominoplasty. I opted for the full one, up to my rib cage, with the excess skin removed, a new naval opening made. The gyn's office coordinated the surgeries. I also needed rectocele repair, so the surgery was a little longer-about 5 1/2 hours total.
Ask lots of questions-I have some numbness in my lower abdomen that has not gone away even after a year. I had an infection on my incision that needed treatment 6 days after surgery. I had drain tubes coming out of each thigh for about a week, and wore an abdominal wrap for 2 weeks.
That being said, the rest of my recovery was without incident-the PS and OB/GYN were very liberal about activities. I was sitting in my hot tub at 2 weeks, driving at 1 week, golfing, swimming laps and doing the strength circuit at the Y at 4 weeks. I went back to work at 8 weeks post op, although I was tired for longer.
I had to pay the PS for the TT and about 900$ to the anethesiologist for the extra operating room time. But the rest was part of the hyster so I didn't pay extra for the hospital or anything else. It cost about $5700 out of pocket.
I love it-I can wear regular clothes, I have a body that looks normal, and exercise is even easier. I can wear pants and clothes that fit now. They took 2 1/2 pounds of fat and skin from my abdomen. Hope this helps you. Do lots of research about both procedures. 's
Unread 09-27-2005, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraireLakeLady
to this wonderful site filled with information and very supportive Hystersisters.
I also asked about a TT when consulting about my Hysterectomy. I was 54 years old at the time. My ob/gyn said it was a great idea. I had lost 55 pounds, but that stomach was just hanging there, not going anywhere. I was a size 10 person trapped with a size 16 waist/abdomen.
I consulted with the plastic surgeon-he told me all the different types of abdominoplasty. I opted for the full one, up to my rib cage, with the excess skin removed, a new naval opening made. The gyn's office coordinated the surgeries. I also needed rectocele repair, so the surgery was a little longer-about 5 1/2 hours total.
Ask lots of questions-I have some numbness in my lower abdomen that has not gone away even after a year. I had an infection on my incision that needed treatment 6 days after surgery. I had drain tubes coming out of each thigh for about a week, and wore an abdominal wrap for 2 weeks.
That being said, the rest of my recovery was without incident-the PS and OB/GYN were very liberal about activities. I was sitting in my hot tub at 2 weeks, driving at 1 week, golfing, swimming laps and doing the strength circuit at the Y at 4 weeks. I went back to work at 8 weeks post op, although I was tired for longer.
I had to pay the PS for the TT and about 900$ to the anethesiologist for the extra operating room time. But the rest was part of the hyster so I didn't pay extra for the hospital or anything else. It cost about $5700 out of pocket.
I love it-I can wear regular clothes, I have a body that looks normal, and exercise is even easier. I can wear pants and clothes that fit now. They took 2 1/2 pounds of fat and skin from my abdomen. Hope this helps you. Do lots of research about both procedures. 's
Regarading the numbness in your lower abdomen: after my abdominal surgery, I also experienced the numbess after my c-section. I had this numbness for quite some time (maybe a year or more? ... can't recall), and it eventually went away.
Unread 09-27-2005, 06:44 AM

I say if you have the funds go for it...My ab is such an unsightly vision. Two children, TAH, BSA and now while I am only 41 it looks like a 70 year old tummy. You are going to have a big recovery from the surgery anyhow so putting it together is smart. I wanted to ask the surgeon to just try to do a super job sewing me back up but was feeling so vain in thinking it concerned me that I didnt have confidence to hardly mention my concerns and now I see that a-ha I am like most women again and that several of us wish for it ; )
Unread 09-27-2005, 07:35 AM

Hi
I had a tummy tuck after my hyster and I can tell you, it was the very best thing ever! Go for it! As for losing your uterus, well... think rather of it as gaining a new lease on life! No more cramps, pain that could stop you from enjoying your kids/grandkids, no more worrying about when "that time of the month" is going to be and planning your social life around it. Go into it thinking positive and you will come out the otherside much stronger and happier. Good luck
Unread 09-27-2005, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the encouragement ... I needed it -- I've been suffering from cold feet (a.ka. frostbite), and I needed to hear your uplifting words.

DebbyDee

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.