HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can't control passing gas Can't control passing gas

Unread 09-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Can't control passing gas

I had my hysterectomy done over 2 years ago. Ever since then I have had problems with passing gas. I seem to have no control over it. I THINK I have a fistula between rectum and vagina. Is that possible??????? And NO I haven't been back to the Dr since this happened. I guess I've been afraid he'll find something else that need to be fixed. Has ANYONE else had this happen to them or am I alone??????? Tricia
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:34 PM

There is such a thing as fistula between the rectum and the vagina. If you seriously think you're dealing with one, you need to get it addressed before it becomes more serious: you really wouldn't want to leak feces into the vagina

Please, don't be ashamed or embarassed: doctors have seen just about anything. And if you're scared, it's better to know for sure and to have the issue addressed
Unread 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM

Thank you SO much for your response. That is what I was thinking the problem was but haven't had the nerve to admit it out loud!!!!!!!!! I'll make an appointmemt with the dr to sort it out. Any thoughts on what type of testing they have to do to determine whether or not that is the problem?
Thanks again!!!!!!! Tricia
Unread 09-27-2005, 12:07 PM

I feel for you Tricia. I know exactly how it is to pass gas all of the time. I have had this issue since shortly after my hyst. I am gassy alot. I am thinking I may have a bladder related fistula. I sure pray I don't have one near my rectum too.
Please go to the dr. and find a answer. If y ou have a fistula it will get worst with time. Like Dany said "you don't want feces going into your vagina.
I have had 3 surgeries since my hyst in 2004. I may very well need this tvt taken out or just have a surgery for a fistula soon. It isn't good for us to have to go through all of this, but we have to take care of our bodies.
I wish you lots of luck on a proper diagnosis.
Peggy
Unread 10-04-2005, 06:20 AM

Hi Tricia!

Were you able to get an appt with your doctor? I had a fistula between my bladder/vagina after my hyst, where there was urine coming out my vagina. It is my understanding with a rectal/vaginal fistula, you would definetely have stool passing from your vagina. Better to get it checked out and if there is a problem to get it fixed.

Good luck to you!
Dee
Unread 10-04-2005, 10:03 AM

PeaCee:

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. It could also be a rectal issue that might be corrected with physical therapy... that would be way better news than a fistula. So, I hope for a nonsurgical solution to your issue! I know a local PT that deals mostly with helping women regain control of their pelvic floor and she is quite sucessful from what I understand.

Please do see your doctor about this and don't be embarrassed. Its WAY more common than you think.

Unread 10-16-2005, 11:13 AM

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have an appointment with the gyn on the 19th of this month. I hope she can tell me what's going on. I haven't had any stool in my vagina, THANK GOD!!!!!!!! I'll let you know what I find out and THANK YOU all for the kind words!!! Today is my birthday so I'm going to forget the problem at least for the rest of today! HUGS![/font]

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.