HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

what does size mean? what does size mean?

Unread 09-27-2005, 08:36 PM
what does size mean?

I was just wondering if anybody knew what size is normal for a uterus and what is considered as a large fibroid? My abdomen is really swelled up like I am pregnant. I am having a tah on oct 10th along with a few other procedures (enlarged uterus and fibroid sitting on top) but I am confused as to what sizes mean. Does a person gain weight because of these problems? I am reading about the uterus being 12 and 16 weeks large but how do you compare it in centimeters? Just very curious.
Unread 09-27-2005, 10:54 PM
what does size mean?

Good question... I can tell you what my doctor said. My fibroid is the size of a 20 week baby... 15cm x 7cm x 10 cm... (6.8in x 2.8 in x 4in).. he ruled out a horizontal cut because ofthe size of the fibroid and its location up to my belly button... I begged him but he said it would be impossible so he's doing a vertical cut. Good luck to you.. My TAH is on 10/11.. keep in touch!
Unread 09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
what does size mean?

My doctor told me that a uterus that has never carried a baby normally weighs about 60 grams. My TAH is tomorrow, 1:45 pm..... he said that per the ultrasound he is estimating that my fibroid/uterus will weight approx 320 grams ---- my stomach is about the size of a woman who is about 4 mths pregnant...

Best of luck to you!
Unread 09-27-2005, 11:15 PM
what does size mean?

Hi
I have ando & was told mine is the size of a 6 - 8 month preg, or the size of an egg. This link had pretty detailed info & says that a 12 month is about the size of a small grapefruit...www.sitemason.com/files/d/drYtfq/HystPatient.pdf
I did not read the whole article, but had some interesting stuff about hyst. Good luck to you!
Unread 09-27-2005, 11:57 PM
what does size mean?

Hi,

Here is some information which might help from past posts:

There is a book called, "Fibroids: The Complete Guide to Taking Charge of Your Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Well-Being' by Johanna Skilling: It says, the average uterus is 2 to 4 inches long, 1.5 to 2.5 inches wide and 1 inch thick; it weighs about one-sixth of a pound or 50 grams ... If you've ever been pregnant, your uterus may be on the larger end of those dimensions.

That's an equivalent of 5.08 X 10.16 cm long and 3.8 X 6.35 cm wide and 2.54 cm thick.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(this came from http://www.fibroiduae.com/fibro5.htm#anchor66303):

Q: I am confused as to the way the size of a uterus is compared to the size of a pregnant uterus at different months. Could you give me some way to understand this?

A: According to Obstetricians/Gynecologists, the estimation of fibroid size (based on the model of the size of a uterus in pregnancy) goes like this:

(1) 12 weeks - just up to the level of the pubic bone
(2) 16 weeks - 4 fingerbreadths above the pubic bone
(3) 18 weeks - 2 fingerbreadths below the navel
(4) 20 weeks - at the navel
(5) 24 weeks - 1 fingerbreadth above the navel
(6) 28 weeks - 3 fingerbreadths above the navel

There is one problem with this model, i.e., the top of a Fibroid Uterus can be very irregular, whereas the top of a Pregnant Uterus is usually smooth and uniform. Although it complicates this method of "sizing" fibroids, it is still useful and the most comon way Gynecologists record uterine size.

There are a number of other ways that Gynecologists use to describe fibroid size - often using a comparison to commonly used items. The following "Bestiary" of items might help visualization by translation into actual measurement!

Average Sizes of Items
Pea - 1cm (3/8")
Walnut - 3cm (1 3/16")
Lemon (diameter) - 5.5cm (2 3/16")
Apple/Pear - 7.5cm (3")
Orange - 9cm (3 1/2")
Grapefruit - 11.5cm (4 1/2")

I hope this helps!

s,

Lisa
Unread 09-28-2005, 02:23 AM
what does size mean?

Hi mspolly7,

My tumor was 27.5cm and weighed 4kg the day they removed it. It wasn't a fibroid, it was an ovarian tumor, but a lump is a lump I suppose. I was larger than the last time I was 9 months pregnant and I even got a stretch mark from the darn thing! I was 30lbs lighter when I left the hospital than when I went in - so there must have been some other weight/swelling effect it was having. I believe you when you say you feel swelled up like you are pregnant - I hope you feel a whole lot better when it is all over - I know I do. Take care
Unread 09-28-2005, 12:08 PM
what does size mean?

I can't believe the number of responses that I have received from all of you! This is truly a wonderful way of communicating with other women with various scenarios. Thank you all! I will certainly keep in touch as my TAH gets closer.
Unread 09-28-2005, 12:19 PM
what does size mean?

Hi there!
My uterus was the size of a 20 week pregnancy. When I asked the nurse to show me with her hands she held them up and made a motion about the size of a football. I had a number of fibroids to make this size up...but the biggest was around 12cm and the smallest around 7cm (I had 4 in all). I'm not sure how much it weighed because I haven't been in for my pathogogy report yet, but my stomach is A LOT smaller. I know before the surgery the mass came up to by belly button. In all I've lost about 8 lbs. I too had to have a vertical incision because of the size of my uterus. But it looks fine....all my undies hide it and I'm still wearing the old thongs, so there you go. My incision goes from right below the belly button all the way down.
As for the size of a uterus without these lumps....they always say about the size of a fist.

Good luck.....It's going to be nice to have my son lie on my tummy (once I've healed) and not cringe in pain!
Unread 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM
what does size mean?

WOW, Now I understand what my doctor was saying. I have had one child, and he said he was embarrased because my uterus was the smallest he or pathology has ever seen. It weighed just under 30 grams. But I had endometrial polyps and was so swolen, and water weight gain, that I lost approx. 6 lbs. after my surgery. now if the swelling from surgery goes down, I should be in great shape.
Hope all goes well for you.
Unread 09-28-2005, 01:26 PM
what does size mean?

Hi Mspolly7

My abdomen has also gotten significantly larger in the last few weeks. I was at a "12-week" pregnancy; I'm sure it's bigger by now. I've gained 3 inches in my waist.

I sure hope I shrink after the surgery! I see we are having surgery the same week. Let's keep in touch.

Louise

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.