HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fibroids & Fatigue? Fibroids & Fatigue?

Unread 10-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

Is anyone out there with fibroids experiencing extreme fatigue? I just feel totaly zapped of any energy! Although I have heavy periods bloodwork shows that I am not anemic so I don't know why I feel like this.
Unread 10-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

I felt the same way, although I was blaming it on different causes, I now know it was the fibroids- The doc referred to them as fibroids at first, then called them masses. But the fatigue was bad. When I got home from work, I took a nap, every single day!
snickers
Unread 10-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

Hi Canadalady,

Yeah..I was VERY tired with my fibroids. I felt so drained even if I had done nothing all day. The middle of the afternoon was the worst for me. I was tired and the pelvic pressure from my fibroids would peek from being on my feet during the day. It was not fun. I could almost set the clock and how my fibroids were running my life.

Hang in there. We ~fibroid ladies~ are here to help you if we can.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

I didn't realize why I liked naps so much. I have had Fibroids, heavy periods and wasn't anemic and then in one year boom. One thing to watch for is if your periods do become even heavier with more clotting and pressure, you can become anemic and I can tell you from experience...no joy...it saps absolutely everything out of you and if you're athletic or active it will seriously impinge on your life. My doc has me on iron three times a day to maintain and just recently I went into another deficit mode this month due to an extremely heavy flow. I'm looking at all of my options and reading up on everything handy.

Talk to your DR about how to make sure you don't become anemic, I didn't realize what had happened until I nearly passed out at work and thought it was stress, work, lack of sleep that was wiping me out.
Unread 10-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

I had multiple fibroids and heavy bleeding that led to my hyst. Even tho I was not anemic according to lab results...I felt drained and very tired after a heavy period/bleeding episode.
Unread 10-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

I can so relate. Even though I was officially anemic, I think a lot of the fatigue had to do with interrupted sleep (due to running to the bathroom to refresh my sanitary protection and sleeping on a rubber mat to protect my mattress and bedding). Male doctors just don't seem to understand this and likely rely on the test to 'measure' your sources of fatigue. I found taking brief walks outside helped. Now that I'm 18 weeks post-myomectomy I feel much better and will have some followup blood work in a little while to see if the anemia is resolved. Good luck to you.
Unread 10-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

I too had fibroids and heavy periods that came every two to three weeks. Although I don't have my energy completely back yet from my surgery I have been told by my doctor and some friends that I would feel so much better shortly that I would be surprised at how bad the bleeding and fibroids really make you feel. I know I don't miss wondering whether my tampon and a pad would be enough to get me through the store without a leak. (TMI?) Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 10-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalady
I too had fibroids and heavy periods that came every two to three weeks. Although I don't have my energy completely back yet from my surgery I have been told by my doctor and some friends that I would feel so much better shortly that I would be surprised at how bad the bleeding and fibroids really make you feel. I know I don't miss wondering whether my tampon and a pad would be enough to get me through the store without a leak. (TMI?) Hope you feel better soon.
My fibroids have me exhausted all the time. I can't wait for them to come out.

Oh, and one of my fondest memories (not) was sitting on a beach in the Bahamas in my bathing suit wearing two tampons and a pad. Which didn't really work, either.

Unread 10-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

Thank you all for your posts. This fatigue is overwhelming some days. I'm sorry so many of you are or have had the same problem but its nice to know once again that I'm not alone. Maybe someday I will once again feel normal
Unread 10-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Fibroids & Fatigue?

I have experienced what I call "crashing fatigue". I have been so tired that when I would fall asleep I would dream about the effort involved in trying to get up and move about. I am "slightly" anemic due to heavy bleeding. My count ranges from 11.4 to 12.3. I don't think that's so bad. I do take iron supplements. I have to remind myself that I am carrying an abdominal mass which makes it difficult to move about. I wonder if that leads to fatigue. The size of my uterus is somewhere between 5-6 months. I'm a little concerned about feeling tired after surgery. I can't imagine feeling any more tired than I have in the past. If the fatigue from surgery is greater than the fatigue I've already experienced, then I don't know what I'll do.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.