HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

rectocele and pessary rectocele and pessary

Unread 10-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Smile - rectocele and pessary rectocele and pessary

Has anyone been fitted with a pessary for a rectocele?

I will be getting one next week. I would like to know anyone who had success or not going this route. I had a TAH/BSO on 7/20 and developed this rectocele post-op. I am hoping this will delay the need for surgery for awhile. At 11 weeks post-op, I cannot do another surgery (elective as the doctor puts it) right away. I am hoping it would buy me 6 months.

Any advice?

I posted this in the post-op forum, but maybe it is more appropriate here.
Unread 10-07-2005, 02:38 PM
rectocele and pessary

I used a pessary for approx 6 months before I had my surgery for cystocele and rectocele. It was Gehrung type. It did not need to be removed for intercourse. I would have the DR take it out, clean and re-insert about every 6-8 weeks. I could have done it myself, but thought what the heck.. It allowed the DR to check me and I only had to pay a small copay. I had no problems with it at all. I did not even know it was there. You just need to be sure it is fitted correctly.
Unread 10-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Unhappy - rectocele and pessary rectocele and pessary

I got the pessary this week for this rectocele. What a challenge!! The one we decided on looks like a small donut. My DH keeps calling me donut now, with affection of course

Now I am going back tomorrow to try the other one because this one seems to press on some nerve.

I have been feeling rather blue. I am 12 weeks post-op now and had really looked forward to improving, not looking at the prospect of another surgery.

I told the gyn I looked at this as a temporary fix. The gyn told me some women live with this for a long time. I reiterated that I look at this as a temporary fix. I can't have surgery until next year. I am out of leave time.

The doc said the rectocele was not the norm because it is against the back wall of the vagina and is higher up, about mid-point. They (gyn and med student) said that it is almost the whole side. I explained to her that I even have to splint the perineum area now too!

How long have any of you lived with this before you decided it was time to get this fixed? After hearing some of the complications some of the sisters have had, I am kind of scared.
Unread 10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
rectocele and pessary

I lived with a rectocele for quite a while. After my hyst though the whole vaginal vault prolapsed leaving me with a grade 3 rectocele, cystocele, enterocele. I lived with that for about 3 years and then finally gave in to surgery. My theory was having it done at the age of 54 would be better than waiting and having it done in my 60's. Hey! I thought I deserve to have the best quality of life I can at this point in life...my kids are grown, my husband and I can travel and do pretty much everything we want to do...so why have all my parts hanging out? ha I think it is definitely a quality of life issue and depends on what stage of life you are in. It is different for each person. You will know when it is the right time for you.

Good luck!

Sherry
Unread 10-14-2005, 05:13 AM
rectocele and pessary

hello
My personal opinion is to get it fixed as soon as you are able. It really wore on me to have to splint in order to go.(I still do, because of back issues.) But I am so glad to be rid of the pressure, dragging down feeling and sitting on a bulge.I had a enterocele/rectocele repaired Jan.2005 when I was almost 9 months post op. I just had a cystocele and tvt at 16 months post op. I don't regret having any of these prolapse surgeries. I don't want to have to deal with them as I get older. I am 43 right now.
It really is up to each individual. You know how it is effecting your quality of life. When you have had enough, you will see about getting it repaired. The surgery really is not that bad.It is just so important to follow the post op restrictions.
Good luck on your decision
Peggy
Unread 10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
rectocele and pessary

I have lived with my rectocele for over 5 years - I am still waiting for a procedure to come out that has a good outcome possibility for me. (I had sphincter surgery in the past). Eating lots of fiber and drinking only water has helped me a lot. Good Luck to you.
Unread 10-14-2005, 09:29 AM
rectocele and pessary

i have a rectocele that i am going to see a uro/gyn for in november. its right inside my vaginal opening and its very bothersome! now i am feeling a sag on my anterior
wall and i think i am developing a cystocele as well! i have a hard time peeing and i have pain in my bladder when i go, like a cramping feeling inside. i also leak a little after going.GEEZ, the fun never ends! i want to have surgery as soon as possible so i can get all of this behind me and enjoy the benefits of my hysterectomy!
good luck to you!
Unread 10-14-2005, 08:27 PM
rectocele and pessary

There you go Darla! I felt the same way. Here we have had the hysterecomy so we can feel better and then we have the prolapse so we can't enjoy the benefits of feeling better from the hysterectomy. You are right...when does it end!? Good luck to you with your repairs...you go girl!!!

Sherry
Unread 10-15-2005, 07:18 PM
another rectocele question

Has anyone else had pain/discomfort with a rectocele on the inside of the leg (right) where the buttocks, leg and perineum meet? I thought it was the pessary that was causing the discomfort possible by pressing on a nerver, but the discomfort is there when the pessary is out also. It is really uncomfortable to sit.

The doc this week also said I have a small cystercele.

Miss Emma, thanks for all of the info in this post and in the others. It was really helpful. I was hoping this pessary route would help and buy me six months or more. I just want to get healthy so bad! Your words on your posts were encouraging.
Unread 10-15-2005, 10:33 PM
rectocele and pessary

I had a tvh 6-1505. Doc said i had small rectocele, so he did not repair it. I feel like something is in my vagina most of the time. When I sit down it feels like something is going to pop out. I thnk my bladder my have dropped too, since i have had my sling cut twice. I only get some relief when i get off my feet. My physical therapist told me to ask my doc for a pessary, at least for a while. She has given me some exercises to do, and she said it would help the feeling. I dread that, but if it gives me some relief until i can tighten the muscles, or get surgery. They tell me too, no more surgery at this time, I feel worse now than before my tvh. Sometimes i cannot feel myself tighten up when i do my kegals, like somthing is up there. I think it is similar to the feeling of my babys head coming out when i gave birth............... Im tired of this Sue

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.