HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Lump on collarbone! Lump on collarbone!

Unread 10-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Lump on collarbone!

I'm really scared because I just noticed a small bump or swelling on my right collarbone!I know that this is a lymph node location & that endo ca. can spread there as well. My right arm has also been sore for some time & I worry that it may be related. Now when I see my gyno I have to point that out to her as well & she'll probably freak out & send me for more tests or worst...give me a bleak prognosis! :cry: Does anyone know what this could be? I'm very scared because I've heard there's a cancer that is usually found by a bump on the collarbone! Help someone!!
Unread 10-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Lump on collarbone!

It would be very unusual to have endometrial cancer spread directly to lymph nodes in your upper chest without there also being lymph nodes affected in your groin or abdomen. Also, you would probably have additional symptoms- cough, swollen/painful belly, weight loss, etc because the cancer is more likely to spread to other organs at that point as well (lungs, liver, brain). Plus, metastatic disease does not seem consistent with your diagnosis of a grade 1 endometrial cancer. A well differentiated cancer of low grade is lazy and doesn't like to wander because it's a lot like it's normal friends in the uterus and likes to hang out with them. It's the renegade higher grades/poorly differentiated ones that dislike their neighbors that are normal and behave and like to leave the neighborhood and cause havoc elsewhere.

There are lymph nodes in the neck and at the collarbone. Normal lymph nodes are small, rubbery, and moveable; when there is infection they are swollen and painful to move; when there is cancer they are very hard, not tender, and enlarged.

That being said, if you have an infection in your arm/arm pit- like even a cut from shaving- lymph nodes upstream from that area can become swollen and painful- like the nodes in the armpit/neck/collar area potentially. Also, there are a lot of muscles that connect/are around the collarbone, so if you're stressed out and under a lot of tension you could just have a knot.

If you are concerned about this though, it is not unreasonable to let your doctor be aware of this. Perhaps when you call for your results you can mention this and see if you can be seen. Plus, if there was something there your xray would show it.

Take care.
millie

ps> you mentioned you're a smoker in a previous post. i congratulate you on wanting to quit, but given all the stress you're under currently this may not be the best time for you to do that- there are good programs to help you quit, and maybe this could be something for you to do once this current health issue is resolved for you. also, if you have anxiety/depression there are antidepressants that can help with this and also with smoking cessation- so something worthwhile to talk to your doctor about in the future as well.
Unread 10-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Lump on collarbone!

Good advice, Millie.

Mori, I just went through an enlarged lymph node scare myself. But it was in my groin, the most obvious area to be affected by a recurrance of Ovarian Cancer. My doc felt the swollen lymph, and didn't worry figuring there were other outside factors to consider. To ease my mind, she sent me for a ct scan, which DID show an area that turned out to be nothing on a PET/CT scan.
The reason for the swollen lymph has never been proven. (oh, btw, it was enlarged within reasonably dimensions, "sub-centimeter, I think they called it?) but the doc pointed out things such as an old leg injury, the horrible heat we were having, and added weight gain, and the fact that my remaining lymph nodes have to work overtime to make up for the many that were removed during my surgery last year.
Millie mentioned muscle connectors and knots....my gyn/oncology PA thinks that what I have (because it's still the same size as it was in August) was more connective tissue than lymph node.

Why not call your gyn/oncologist today and tell them your concerns? Sure beats worrying on your own , as I"ve learned.
xoxo
k9
Unread 10-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Lump on collarbone!

I too had a swollen pelvic node that turned out to be nothing.

Before cancer I also had a lump on my collarbone. I panicked, but then remembered that I had spent the day driving in bad snow and realized I must have been straining against the seat belt the whole time, and it had irritated it. Is it possible you did anything to strain your arm or collarbone area?

I hope this is just some benign bump that will soon be history.
Unread 10-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Lump on collarbone!

Mori,
There are many reasons why a lymph node would be swolle. I think when we have a cancer diagnosis, all of a sudden, every bump or ache is cancer in our mind and many times it is not. We tend to call this Cancerhead. To be certain, ask your doctor about it when you see him, but in the meantime, breathe in, breathe out and as Margaret 321 says, don't waste a good panic.

We are here for you
s
Jane
Unread 10-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Lump on collarbone!

Hi Millie,
Thanks for all the positive feedback & I see that you're very well informed. Would my chest x-ray have shown a lump on the collarbone? Isn't that too high up for the x-ray to include? As for smoking I am finding it very hard to quit but I am scared out of my wits that I'm making my condition worse as a result! You say that it may not be the right time to quit, but isn't having cancer & smoking like having a "death wish'? I'm kind of blaming myself for getting sick because of my smoking & for taking my health for granted when I had it. You're also right about being paranoid about every bump & pain...that's me!Thanks again.
Unread 10-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Lump on collarbone!

Hi ladies it's me again!
Thanks for all your support & positive outlook. I'm really scared & paranoid of every bump, pain & unusual symptom like you all say is called "cancerhead". I will show my gyno when I see her for my test results, probably some time next week. I hope it turns out to be nothing but I want to be sure & will ask to have it checked out. Do they check for this by x-ray, ultrasound,or perhaps I should have a mamogram?
Unread 10-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Lump on collarbone!

Your doctor will probably examine this area on your collarbone and then look at the xray results. If he/she is concerned about this lump then there may be other tests involved, but the first step is to examine you.

There are screening guidelines for breast cancer, and some docs may advocate earlier breast cancer screening (mammograms) for women who have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer at an early age. So if you are concerned about your risk of breast cancer, again it would not be unreasonable to discuss this concern with your doc and ask about getting a mammogram if you haven't had one and then repeating it at some regular interval.
Unread 10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Lump on collarbone!

As for the chest xray- usually a chest xray will include the upper parts of your chest/shoulders so the collarbone would be in view. The very tips of your lung actually go up to the collar bone area, so if the lungs are in view, the collar bone is too.

In regards to the smoking- quitting would be one of the best things you could do for your overall health. But it's an addiction, and sometimes people who smoke and find themselves in stressful situations like yours have a difficult time quitting because smoking helps to "relax" their nerves, etc. Certainly if you feel that you can do it now, then do it. But don't feel guilty if you can't.

Blaming yourself about the smoking won't do any good. Please eliminate the "could have" "would have" and "should haves" from your vocabulary. This kind of thinking will only make you sick. We're human and we all have our vices, and hindsight is always 20/20. The important thing is that you know what you have to do now (quit smoking) and you will do it when the time is right for you. Smoking is linked to cancer... women with hpv are usually advised to keep away from it because of it's link to cervical cancer... how does it affect endometrial cancer? I don't know... and I don't think it would have much of an effect at this point. But in the long run, after one experience with cancer, why risk the chance of another cancer like lung too? Plus think of all the money you will save! (Some folks will put money in the piggy bank each time they get the urge to have a smoke and treat themselves to something nice with that money at the end of the year to celebrate... maybe you could treat yourself to a spa day or a massage?)
Unread 10-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Lump on collarbone!

Hi MillieB,
Thanks for the information & for all the advice. I will tell my gyno about my concerns when I see her some time next week when she has my test results. I hope it's nothing because I don't think I could deal with another shock at this point! I do plan on quitting smoking & treating myself to nice things & spa treatments is a good idea! I'll have a lot more money for shopping". Tommorrow I'm going to the wedding I would have missed if I had gone through with my surgery on Oct.5th & I plan on having a good time & not think about anything negative
Thanks again for being so informative & caring.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway