HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Worried about pets & post-op sleeping arrangements Worried about pets & post-op sleeping arrangements

Unread 10-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Worried about pets & post-op sleeping arrangements

Hi--
This question may be better off in the post-op section, but I'm still pre-op, so this is the area of the web site i've been looking through.

Here's what I've been wondering/worrying about: I've got three cats and a dog, plus my DH of course. The question is about the cats-- two of them have the sweet habit of sleeping next to me every night, but they often walk over me during the night.

Should I shut them out of the room at first? Or can I allow them to sleep on bed as usual but protect myself by using lots of pillows?

Also, I have a choice of recovering in our bedroom, with a high mattress, or in our guest room, with a low mattress. Both beds are firm and comfortable. Does anyone have advice over high vs. low beds?

Thanks!
Janice
Unread 10-16-2005, 11:38 PM

Hi Janice. I have golden retrievers who love sleeping in bed with my DH and myself. I slept with a pillow guarding my stomach so that my dogs couldn't accidently step on me. I hope this is helpful. I think that a higher bed would work better post op. You might need a small step at first, but I think I would have found that easier than getting out of a low mattress... but each of us is different that way. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-16-2005, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Anna! That's reassuring to hear: my cats are very comforting critters to have about.

Where on the bed do your dogs tend to sleep? I ask because our dog likes to wedge herself between DH and myself in the wee hours of the morning. ...
I foresee an interesting recovery!

Janice
Unread 10-17-2005, 12:04 AM

Janice,
Our dogs like to sleep on our pillows (with little regard for our heads), in between us in bed (often diagonally) or at the foot of the bed. Basically they do whatever will take up the most covers. Luckily we have a king sized bed because we usually have four golden retrievers at once! Right now we are down to two goldens so there is extra room in the bed.

Good luck during your recovery, and please keep me posted.
Unread 10-17-2005, 04:42 AM

I am worried about this one too, as two of my 3 cats are still kittens (about a year old). All 3 cats like to snuggle. My Aunt told me that she trained her cat to crawl down from her shoulder when she was lying down, and Tabs acted as a nice heating pad as long as she didn't get too close to the incision. Animals tend to know when things aren't right with Mom, so I am hoping they go easy on me. I only had one pounce across the belly when I had laparascopic surgery 5 years ago (had 2 cats at that time).

Katy
Unread 10-17-2005, 05:35 AM

hello, i have 2 kittens, 6 months old. i was worried b4 my surgery also. my dr. warned me to be careful not to let them jump on me post-op. i used my coach pillow on my stomach or a towel folded up. i kept it on my stomach most of the time in those first 2 weeks. my kittens don't train so well and they kept laying on me. it didn't bother me as long as i was covered. i also liked the warmth it gave me with my swelly belly.i've had a pretty good experience so far and go back to work in 1 week, good luck. mrscda
Unread 10-17-2005, 05:52 AM

I also have a cat. He doesn't usually walk on me or pounce. But like Spasmo's dogs, he sometimes decides where to lay without regard to my head or any other body part. I planned on using a pillow as a buffer between parts of me that hurt and him, but haven't needed to.

Like kate_ce1995 mentioned, animals tend to know when something is up. My cat is definitely not a cuddler or lap cat but couldn't lay close enough to me before I went to the castle and when I got home. Yesterday he went back to his normal "I only want to lay next to you when I want attention mode" and hung around the bottom of the bed only coming close enough when he wanted some attention. Oh well, the snuggling was nice while it lasted.

s
Unread 10-17-2005, 06:03 AM

My nearly 19 yr old tortie has always slept on the bed for part of the night. I had an abdominal incision for LSO a couple of years ago and she seemed to understand not to crawl on me.

More recently she has taken to climbing up my belly from my lap to my shoulder when I'm stretched out on the couch. This has me concerned for my upcoming TAH. I have tried to break her of this but she likes to get right up under my chin .. and she's so cute I can't resist (see my avatar, who could resist that face?)

I would opt for the higher bed too.

hth
Unread 10-17-2005, 08:18 AM

I have 4 cats and it's amazing how they know what to do and what not to do. I have other abdominal surgeryies and they laid next to me or at my head. Never once did they try to walk across me, as they usually do. After about a month, it was back to business as usualy for them.

I don't know how they know - they just did.
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:19 AM

I have two cats and I was worried about this as well. It turns out is wasn't an issue as I always have a pillow across my stomach as a buffer just in case they want to walk on me. I also noticed that for the first few days I was home from the hospital both of my cats, who are usually fighting to see who is going to sit on my lap, actually didn't come to see me except to rub against my hand or leg. I am not sure if they sensed Mommy wasn't well or if it was because I smelled different after all of the medications that were pumped into me in the hospital. I actually think it was a combination of both. Having the small pillow across my stomach really has become a habit for me as it just makes you feel better when you have to move or cough. Good Luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.