HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Need "recipe" for betadine douche Need "recipe" for betadine douche

Unread 10-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Need "recipe" for betadine douche

My doctor wants me to douche every 3 days with a betadine douche. He said it is availabe OTC, but DH went to three stores to locate it without luck.

My doctor will be out of the office for the weekend and I can't remember his directions for making my own. In my own defense, I have spent the last week gorked on antihistamines because of a drug allergy.

I want this vaginal cuff to heal yesterday! At least heal well enough so I can have another bath. Also, I have only used prepared douches before. What "equipment" would a person need to administer a homemade douche?

Suggestions? Recipes?

Thank you ladies!

Dianne
Unread 10-21-2005, 11:54 PM

Go to Wal-Mart and look in the section of the pharmacy where the Band-Aids and Neosporin are located. Betadine should be located in that section. I don't know if the bottle will tell you how to make you own douche solution. Many doctors refer to "medicated" douches as a Betadine douche. Massengil and Summer's Eve both make a medicated douche. The solution in the small bottle inside of the package that you have to put into the douche bottle is the same as Betadine. Be careful when you insert the tube inside of your vagina and express the solution gently.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 10-22-2005, 01:33 AM

If your dr does not have an on call service (if he does that would be my first call)I would call the local hospital and ask them. Or maybe the pharmasist can tell you. As far as equipment they do sell a douche set up at most drug stores. Hope this helps.
Unread 10-22-2005, 07:28 AM

Did your DH ask at the pharmacy counter? When I worked in a drug store a long, long time ago Betadine products were kept behind the counter. Even if your local pharmacy doesn't carry it, they may be able to get it for you within a day or two.

Good luck and best wishes.

s
Unread 10-22-2005, 01:53 PM

I get it at Wal-mart my gyno has me use it 2 times a week, feels so good and refreshing.
Unread 10-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Unfortunately I am allerigic to Betadine Douche solution, but I highly recommend using natural douche solutions over Betadine. If you have an allergic reaction to Iodine or IVP Dyes I don't feel it is wise to to use it. I am surprised that your doctor recommended douching, for it is not a good thing, for your body has a natural cleansing capability. I have had more then one ob/gyn say that it is not good to douche. Good luck in your healing process.
Unread 10-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Dianne, like your name. I have a stubborn incision too and I was instructed to douche with vinegar and water. Hope that your cuff heals soon.

Anna, sometimes it is helpful to irrigate the wound as it is still draining to speed the healing process. In general it is not helpful to douche as the vagina cleans itself, but in some cases its a good thing.
Unread 10-22-2005, 08:51 PM

Beachlady, I am glad that you used vinegar and warm water, for that is the best way to douche if you do. Do not use over the counter douche solutions for they can irritate you internally if you are sensitive to perfumes, etc..... Otherwise, your body was designed to clean itself. I guess I was not clear when I said natural douche solutions, what I really meant was to use vineger and warm water then over the counter douche solutions like betadine, summers eve, etc.... I hope for those who had a total vaginal hysterectomy that your healing goes well. I had an total adominal hysterectomy (TAH) so fortunately I did not go through the complications like the rest of you by needing a vaginal cuff, etc..... I am sure that the surgery was not easy for anyone of you. God bless you all. I am sorry for all of the misunderstanding.
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:04 PM

If you can't use betadine you can use baking soda mixed with purified watter or vinegar and water but make them yourself not store bought, the one i'm using is Vagi-Guard Povidone-Iodine suggested by my gyno from suture irritation.
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:53 PM

Thank you ladies,

I went out this afternoon and found some at the hospital's public pharmacy. I have also learned that next time I will warm it up a bit. Whew, that was chilly.

Anna, Correct me if I'm wrong, but TAH involves removing the cervix and creating a vaginal cuff also, doesn't it. I thought that you had two big incisions (one abd, one vaginal) and that I had one big incision(vaginal) and three teeny, tiny incisions (abd). I'll figure it all out eventually, I guess!

Dianne

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.