HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How much did your uterus weigh? How much did your uterus weigh?

Unread 10-22-2005, 07:34 AM
How much did your uterus weigh?

Just wondering the different weights of everything once taken out...
Did you have to have TAH compared to a TVH because of it or a different incision?
Unread 10-22-2005, 08:12 AM

Hi Ingrace, my uterus weighed 450 gm and I had a 7cm fibroid which from what I understand is about the size of an apple or pear. I had a tah due to size of uterus. What kind did you have and how much did it weigh? Carol
Unread 10-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Mine was 857 gm - which I think converts to just under two pounds.

It was 15cm x 12.5cm - I just know it was big! I didn't realize just how big, even though my gynecologist told me it was huge, until I went to my pre-op with the urology surgeon and he said, "Karen, that fibroid is big, you can feel it from the outside of your body", and you could!

Carol, I had to have abdominal for the same reason, they couldn't deliver it vaginally it was so big! When I saw the photo of it, it made me realize that...yep, that was what was causing me all that trouble, and yep, it had to go!

~Karen
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:22 AM

Hello:

I had a TAH/BSO, due to a large mass on my ovary. I didn't ask how much my uterus weighed, just know that it was on the top side of size, but I do know that the mass on my ovary weighed 1125 gm, and I had to have a vertical incision due to the size and the worry that there might be cancer and more would have to be done. Thankfully, everything was benign!

Take care, Nancy
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:43 AM

Mine weighed 1238 gms.-about 3 lbs.

My Dr. compared it to the size of a basketball-I had pictures taken in the OR w/a disposable camera but have not had the pictures developed yet.

One fibroid alone was 12 cms.

I had to have a vertical incision due to the size of my uterus.

Sweet Pea in SC
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm sorry ....mine weighed 690 grams...1 fibroid the size of a grapefriut and ovarian mass 9 cm. I had a bikini cut but my Dr said any bigger I would not have been able to.
Wow desert and sweet pea...I bet your glad you did'nt wait much longer!
Unread 10-22-2005, 10:37 AM

Wow, I feel so fortunate. My uterus/fibroid weighed 650 gm and my doc went into surgery with the hopes of performing a TVH or LAVH. Surgery took 3 hours (expected only 1 1/2) due to the complications of size. After surgery, my doc said, "Your uterus was SO big" as if it belonged in the Guiness World Book...lol. My doc knew how much I did not want the pain and recovery time of a TAH, and bless her heart, they worked at it, slicing it up inside me, and were still able to do the LAVH. She told me they came so close to having to cut me open. I am so thankful I had a young and enthusiastic doctor. At 2 weeks post-op, I feel great!
Unread 10-22-2005, 12:56 PM

Initially I was supposed to have a verticle incision TAH because of the size of my uterus because of fibroids. The ultrasounds showed 27cm. My doctor planned on making the incision a couple inches below my belly button down.

They got a suprise during the surgery. Although the pathology report was pretty close on the size (24x21x17 cm) it was very dense and weighed 5430 grams or about 11 3/4 pounds.

As a result my incision is longer. It goes around my belly button and ends a couple inches above it.

There were multiple fibroids, the largest being 18cm.
Unread 10-22-2005, 01:36 PM

JC

Not to be awful, but wouldn't it have been something to be able to see something like that! I find it fascinating, but realize that others do not! I can't imagine the relief you felt in getting that out of you!

Amazing!
Unread 10-22-2005, 07:20 PM

I am just as bad if I could have floated over head or had someone videotape my surgery I would have been so excited. I would love to watch a hysterectomy surgery so I can see it all for myself. I will have to ask my dr. about weight when I go for my 2 week check up. Glad I saw this post or I would not have thought to ask.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway