HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How do you keep incision dry when showering? How do you keep incision dry when showering?

Unread 10-22-2005, 10:58 AM
How do you keep incision dry when showering?

I prefer showers to baths. How will I be able to keep my incision from getting wet?
Unread 10-22-2005, 11:01 AM

I was able to take a shower and let it get wet in the shower and then just pat it dry good afterwards. Didn't seem to hurt a thing.
Unread 10-22-2005, 12:34 PM

I'll echo the previous post. The incision gets wetter in the bath, a shower isn't too bad as long as you pat it dry carefully afterwards. Mine doesn't get too wet anyway, because my belly gets in the way!

Miz
Unread 10-22-2005, 12:36 PM

In the hospital when the doctor cleared me to take a shower, she said not to let the water hit it directly, make sure the soap stayed away and then pat it dry.

Taking that first shower never felt so good.
Unread 10-22-2005, 01:02 PM

I was cleared to shower right away. Dr. said just to let the soap from washing my belly run down on it. I only had steri strips. No staples. I am also to just pat it dry.

Dr. took the steri strips off on Wednesday. Now one of my inside stitches has popped out. It's on the end. It's sharp too. It hurts like the ****ens. No redness or signs of infection. Does anyone else have this? Dr. said to just put neosporin on it and a band aid and NOT TO PULL IT. LOL It just burns though.
Unread 10-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcme
In the hospital when the doctor cleared me to take a shower, she said not to let the water hit it directly, make sure the soap stayed away and then pat it dry.

Taking that first shower never felt so good.
Just my

My doctor said this very same thing. I just stood with my back to the spray mostly and boy that felt wonderful! She said follow the same instructions for home. I then patted dry and used a blow dryer on very low heat to just dry things a little more. My ster-strips hung on there for 5 weeks. My doctor couldn't believe it and told me to soak them off finally with a a soppy rag. Still no tub baths at that point. Best wishes to you.
Unread 10-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Aren't those showers when you are recovering the best. I actually ooo and ahhhh when I first get in.

I think every doc is different. I was told to wash with Dial soap just above and let it run down onto my incision and pat dry. I finally yanked those steri strips last week. Incision looks good, is closed well and healing fine.

Good luck to you on your surgery and recovery, LittleSoldier!
Unread 10-22-2005, 02:12 PM

I was cleared to take a shower, with the nurse's help, 2/3 days after surgery. There didn't seem to be any concern about the incision getting wet, certainly from showering anyway. Don't actually wash or rub it and just pat dry afterwards. Good luck!
Unread 10-22-2005, 04:33 PM

I was told to take a shower the day after surgery (TAH/BSO) in the hospital. The nurse just said to dry carefully. A bath is bad because all the dirt and germs just float around and are more likely to end up in that open incision.
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:01 PM

As the other (((sisters))) say -- no need to try to keep the incision dry. My incision was left mostly open (hip-to-hip) and I was told to take all the dressings off, stand in the shower, and let the warm water cascade on my incision -- never letting it hit directly. But letting that warm water run over it helps keep it clean. (They told me to start using mild soap a few days after I got home from the castle, too. But at first, just water.)

After I got out of the shower, they actually told me NOT to use a towel unless I was going to use a new one each time I showered (to avoid contamination). I was to lie on the bed and let the whole area air-dry, which took about a half hour. Then I was to put fresh, dry dressings on the incision area.

Hope this helps. Your hospital staff should give you good instructions about how to care for your particular incision before you go home.... everyone's situation is just a little different.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.