HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

complex ovarian cyst with fluid around it. complex ovarian cyst with fluid around it.

Unread 10-22-2005, 05:09 PM
complex ovarian cyst with fluid around it.

Hello,

I am new here and hope someone can give me some insightful wisdom.
Here's the story: I will say sorry if it is long and drawn out.
Me, I went in for my yearly physical and asked my Dr if I could get a CA125 and an internal U/S yearly. My sister had recently been diagnosed with stage 3a ovca. She just finished her 6th and last round of taxol and carbo. My Dr, rolled her eye's (as she usually does)I am a tough customer. She agreed to do it but told me it was very unlikely that I would have any issues.
My history,I struggled to have children for several years, I then went through IVf and had 2 beautiful children. I now have a 2 1/2 and a 5 year old. My sister with the ovca also had IVF.
Anyway, I had the U/S last Tuesday, My Dr office called Wednesday and Thursday I was told I had a very complex ovarian cyst with fluid surrounding it. It is 3cm by 5cm My dr looked grim. She sent in my files to the local cancer centre and now less than a week later I have an appointment with an oncologist. That is this Tuesday (the 25th, my birthday) Needless to say, I am crapping my pantiloons. Has anyone had any experience with these types of cysts and was the outcome less than grim.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and really appreciate any input. I am guessing he (the oncologist)will pull out all the girl parts and omentum. This is the course they took with my sister. My CA125 was 28.

TIA
Renee
Unread 10-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Hi Renee,

I don't know how much help I will be, but I also had/have a complex solid/cystic ovarian cyst that was almost twice as big as yours. My gyn was not overly concerned with it and just scheduled follow up ultrasounds to make sure it was shrinking. She said that there are many benign things that can cause a complex cyst and most resolve on their own over time.

I insisted on a CA125 test which came back normal. A repeat biopsy showed my cyst has now shrunk to half the original size, but is still there. I am having a TAH for hyperplasia so will be having my ovaries out then and will get the cyst biopsied just in case.

I think you are fortunate to be referred directly to an oncolgist, eventhough it is scary. They are the ones qualified to find out exactly what is going on. Hopefully it will be something completely benign.

Best wishes to you,
Dusti
Unread 10-22-2005, 07:01 PM

Renee,
I'm hoping your cyst is nothing to be concerned about, but am glad you are seeing an oncologist just in case. Good to see your ca-125 is within the normal range, and as Dusti has said, it could be something totally benign. I will that it is.

Happy early Birthday, btw What a way to spend your birthday! But, think of it this way....after the appointment, you can relax, knowing more about whats going on.

Please let us know how your appointment goes on Thursday.
Unread 10-22-2005, 08:57 PM

Thank you so much for the quick responses.

I think they are looking due to the fluid surrounding the cyst. Or at least that was the impression, I was left with.
As for seeing an oncologist, yes, it is good considering my sisters case. But I will tell you. It was my idea, not my DR's. She was going to send me to a gynocologist, one who specializes in vaginal and labial reconstruction. This Dr is a woman's woohoo plastic surgeon. I am certainly not bashing what he does, I am sure he helps plenty of women. But I do question how much ovca he see's. Not only that but if I went to him and it was found to be cancer, I would still have to be sent to the cancer centre anyway. I just thought it would prolong the whole process and frankly, I just want to get what ever it is that is growing in me out of my body, mock scnell.
I am trying to not have horrible thoughts about the whole thing but I can't help but freak out. In 4 years, my dad died of AML leukemia, my 4 year old niece got ALL leukemia(2 1/2 years of chemo and she is in total remission, we pray had she stays that way), My best friend diagnosed with IDC breast cancer, 6rounds of chemo and then rads, my sister diagnosed with ovca. The list goes on. I am sure most people can quote a similar list. I really wonder what the heck is going on. I am really starting to think it is enviromental. But what the heck do I know.
Anyway, sorry about the rant. I will be back and I will keep you all posted. I think the worst part of this whole thing is every time I look at my kids, I just break down. I am so very afraid. For them, not for me.
Thank you Dusti and K9 for listening.

Renee
Unread 10-23-2005, 12:29 AM

Do you mean there is free fluid in your abdomen (ascites)? Or just a fluid filled cyst with a solid component and lots of "little rooms" in it. Anyway...Whatever it is you are diagnosed "early". You don't have a long drawn out history of problems you've been trying to get your doctor to deal with..right? That is a big step in your favor whatever is going on with your ovary. A gyne-onc is a great idea....If you are not satisfied with the qualifications of the one you are being referred to then get on the internet and find a new one. I was super lucky in that my gyne and my gyne-onc were top notch and my gyne palpated my big ovary on a routine exam. It was a Borderline tumor which is cured by surgery only (usually) but if it had gone undiagnosed it could have twisted or ruptured and spread cancer cells all over my abdomen. Also i was able to keep my other ovary so i am not in menopause at 39. I just want you to keep in mind that treatment options now-a-days are terrific and you are going to kick the sh*t out of this thing whatever it is.
nancy
Unread 10-23-2005, 05:48 AM

Renee~

My experience sounds so similar to yours.
I want to say first that...
I am so glad that you have taken a really proactive stance since your sister's DX.

My sister has ovca and I had a complex cyst for several months. The cyst popped up during the time I was having routine vaginal & transvaginal sonograms (every six months) since my sister's DX. During all of this time I was doing all I could to arm myself with information/knowledge pertaining to choosing to have a prophylactic hysterectomy due to my sister's DX.
Even though my complex cyst had resolved on its own just prior to me scheduling my surgery...that was quite enough of a scare for me to make my decision a much easier one to make.

I your cyst turns out to be nothing and I wish the best for you and your sister.

's
Heni
Unread 10-23-2005, 01:42 PM

Hey girls,

Nancy,
Well I have had a bit of a history in the girl parts area. I had carcinoma insitu in my early 20's and had a cone biopsy. I have had normal pap tests since then. I have had the whole IVF experience which my Fertility Dr told us immediately that the process could cause cancer due to the hormones used. I only did one cycle of the injections and egg removal from ovaries. That is the big nasty hyper stim of the ovaries. I am sure not great. But I got my beautiful son from it. Then I did a timed cycle to try again. Much less invasive but still involved hormones. From that cycle, I got my beautiful little girl. After 2 c-sections and abotu 3 months after my daughters birth, I started hemoraging (sp)with each cycle. I went to my Dr and asked her to do a U/S, she insisted on doing a pap test She did this 3 times because each cycle it was worse. I kept telling her this was not normal for me and she kept telling me it was all post partum related. I finally demanded an U/S and she, in a very mad voice told me that she would do it for me this time and when it came back normal I should just give this whole thing up. Well, They found a mass in my uterus and I ended up going for an MRI. It was diagnosed as diffuse adymiosis(sp). Then I was having all sorts of bowel issues and then it was discovered that I had Diverticulitis.
As far as the fluid, I think it was in and beside the ovary. But I am sure when you have scar tissue in the abdomin, fluid can collect monthly. Maybe just a lie I am telling myself. I think my gyn/onc is top notch. He is the head of the gyn/onc unit in the very large cancer centre I live by. He was also my sisters Dr and she really liked him.

Heni,
It's very freaky to watch your sister go through the whole ovca experience and then find you may follow in those footsteps. I think that her cancer made so many of us stand up and pay attention and if it did any good at all, this was it. I too also feel that having a complete Hyster will be on the agenda. I hate like heck to have to go into menopause at 42 but that may be the least of my worries I guess. I, at this point feel that I have cancer all over my body and that when I go in they will tell me I have little time to live. I dread seeing the look on my husbands face as I wake up from the surgery, I know I will have to have.

My surgeon tests the tissue in the OR to see if it is cancerous. Not a full path report but at very least a confirmation. He will not have to say a word, I will just know by looking at his face. I feel sick just thinking about it. Each day that passes, I feel more imobilized. Fear is getting the best of me.
Okay, enough of the doom and gloom, thank you ladies for all the support and kind words.

Renee

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.