HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long was your hospital stay? how long was your hospital stay?

Unread 10-24-2005, 02:11 PM
how long was your hospital stay?

I was just wondering how long anyone else was allowed to stay in the hospital. I had a TAH on Tues. at 1:00p.m and was sent home on Thursday morning. I was very nauseaus that morning and was vomiting. The gave me a pill which I threw up and then have me a shot of something. I was in no way ready to go home, but because the doctor discharged me that morning, they sent me home. Another thing, the first day I was on the Morphine pump and through the night. The next day they disconnected everthing and when I asked for something for the pain, the nurse came in with Motrin. I couldn't believe it. I asked her to check with the doctor because I know the doctor told me I would be given Percocet. The nurse really didn't want to check but she did and then they gave me Percocet. I'd be interested to hear others experiences.
Unread 10-24-2005, 02:22 PM

tteetle - I'm 4 weeks post op today. TAH - I spent 2 nights (had 8:30 am surgery) and went home by 11 am. I was switched to percocet after the first day, and was off them within a week (went to advil for about 2 weeks).
Insurance doesn't cover much any more, but it sounds like you could have used an extra day.
Unread 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM

Hi! I am 2 weekd post op tah today. I was in on Monday and stayed till Thursday. I could of stayed another day but I wanted to go home and be in my bed! My dr said it was my choice when to go home being that I was the one who had surgery. My girlfriend has the same dr and she stayed 4 nights with her tah. Every dr is different.
Unread 10-24-2005, 02:30 PM

Hi,
I had my surgery in the uk on Monday 12th September and was in hospital until the following Saturday morning (6 days in all) It does sound like you could have done with a bit longer, maybe it was the morphine that made you ill, it did me, i came out of hospital with tramadol tablets.
It has now been 6 weeks today and i am almost back to normal, back to work on Monday.
Jackie x
TAH/BSO
Unread 10-24-2005, 02:32 PM

I am having a TVH/BSO tomorrow and I was told I would be there for at least 2 days, 3 if insurance would pay. My insurance company sent my precert letter and I am covered for 6 days. I wish I could stay that long but hubby and my girls would not be happy...LOL!

Kristi
Unread 10-24-2005, 03:01 PM

Today is my 3 week date from TVH. I was in surgery on Monday morning at 7:15 and went home the next day around 6 p.m. Tuesday morning when the morphine pump was taken away I threw up then and once I got home. I took was given percocet and Motrim (4 strength) for inflamation. When I woke up after my first night home, I did get a shower that morning and night, continued showers only for two weeks. Now I get baths and they are wonderful after showers only. I am doing really well. Just like your check points will tell you, some days you can do more around the house and walk thru a store, then the next day could be a day you just want to snuggle under a blanket and take it easy. I am taking it easy when my body tells me so that I will be ready for full time work again on Nov. 14th. This site is wonderful. For my 6 week check up I am taking my doctor info on this site.
Unread 10-24-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm from the UK and I stayed 5 nights after my SAH and posterior repairs. They said I was ready a day earlier but I'd had a rough time and that was the first day I felt well enough.
I think it sometimes depends what you're going home to - I have 2 young children and my husband had had a bad stomach bug so I couldn't go home too soon. (He actually couldn't visit me in hospital apart from the day of the op because of the stupid bug!)

Miz
Unread 10-24-2005, 05:46 PM

I went in on a Wed afternoon and was discharged on Sat. The nurses wanted me walking around on Thurs, but I was so nauseous from the morphine that I couldn't keep down my liquid "meals" or oral pain medication. I stayed in bed mostly on Thurs. On Fri a nurse really go on my case about laying in bed and still being on a liquid diet. If she only saw me vomiting the night before!!! It probably was good that she was tough with me because it motivated me to get up and finally overcome the dizziness. I couldn't go home until I graduated to a diet that created adequate urine and a bm. All in all, I was set back one extra day in the hospital because of the nausea.
Unread 10-24-2005, 05:56 PM

I had a TVH on Sept 19 at about 10AM (was scheduled for 9:30 but they couldn't get the right size IV in - you should have seen the holes) and was home for lunch the next day, actually went through Burger King on the way home cause I needed a burger. I was lucky in that I didn't need any pain medication other than Advil and I'm sure this helped with my recovery and ability to come home that early.
When I read other people's stories, including those who had the same surgery, the TVH, I realize how lucky I am and was. I actually have a full bottle of Tylenol 3 that I never touched, I only filled it just in case.
Unread 10-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Went in at 5:00am I think it was a Tuesday had surgery at 7:30am slept most of that day watched t.v. on and off hubby was there but I don't remember much had a terrible nights sleep, woke up at 5:00 am wanted a shower so bad, called for the nurse she got things ready I showered all by myself it felt great, ate breakfast never did scrambled eggs taste so good!! slept most of the day went home after dinner,had to be able to urinate, and walk down the hall by myself before they would let me leave and I was just fine.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.