HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

fallen bladder fallen bladder

Unread 10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
fallen bladder

Several months ago my doctor told me I have bladder prolapse and I could "live with it" or have a hysterectomy. At the current time, I am not in a position to have surgery. I would like to, even though I'm reading alot of posts about problems afterwards, but I have to wait. In the meantime, my bladder, I think has fallen a little more than when the doctor checked me. It feels as though I have a tampon on that needs to be changed. I can feel my bladder when I feel around my private parts. I definitely have not looked at it (with a mirror), I'm afraid it will scare me even more. Question I have is, how far down can a bladder fall, can it fall beyond my vaginal area out "out of my body", so to speak. I certainly hope this isn't a dumb question, but it's something that I am concerned about. Thanks for any responses.
Unread 10-25-2005, 12:10 PM
fallen bladder

Hopesy,

Not a dumb question at all. Yes, your bladder can fall out of the vagina. They grade how much they fall. I had a grade 3 vaginal vault prolapse. I believe the worst is a 4. Mine was almost falling out of the vagina. Did your dr tell you what grade yours was? Even at a 3 you have some time usually before it falls out. I think they are graded 1 through 4...4 being the worst. Hope this helps!

Sherry
Unread 10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
fallen bladder

Hopesy,
I lived with mine bulging out (grade 3) for almost 4 years and it started causing me to run to the bathroom all the time so I decided to have surgery - while I was going through the tests - my uterus fell too - so that made my decision easier. Ask you doctor what the risk is of your bladder pulling down your urethra with it (causing stress incontinence) I never had that problem - but that would be a concern to me if I had to do it over again.
Unread 10-26-2005, 06:42 AM
falling bladder

Hi, I noticed you had the same problem as I do. Wondering if you ever decided to correct it. I went for 2nd opinion on my prolapse and now am more confused than ever. GynUro was 2nd doctor and he said he doesn't believe in taking the uterus just because he is fixing a cystocele. He recommends a mesh procedure instead of what my gyn doctor wants to do. Which I guess is the standard operation. I asked because I am not ready to deal with surgery, can I live with this? I do have a slight bulge same feeling as a tampon falling out, but do not have any incontence issues as of yet. He said that they use to think it would only get worse with time, but now they are starting to realize that it could also remain the same. He feels I should wait until I could not stand it myself, if it began to interfear with quality of living. I am now totally confused as to what to do. Has anyone else had a similar issue out there?
Unread 10-26-2005, 09:55 AM
fallen bladder

Suzeb21, thank you for you input to my post. I have not yet decided to have any procedure. Mainly, because I'm afraid that it may make my condition worse. The hysterectomy surgery is out of the question. I am 60 years old, but I am raising 3 little ones (6,5 and 8mths, my grands,long story, no choice), and at this time cannot be laid up one day much less 6 weeks. If my condition worsens to the point of being totally unbearable, I will have no choice. Right now, I have no incontinence at all, I just have this bulge that is a constant reminder that I have a problem. No other symptons (yet). So, I will wait. My bladder prolapse is very depressing with respect to my somewhat limited sexlife with my husband. He says he doesn't notice anything, but I'm not sure if he just doesn't want to hurt my feelings.
Unread 10-26-2005, 03:48 PM
fallen bladder

suzeb21,
I like your doctor wanting to use the mesh - I wish mine had. I waited to fix my cystocele until I couldn't stand it - I was going to the bathroom all the time - took forever to empty - felt gross (over 4 years) then while waiting to schedule surgery - my uterus fell - I don't know if the bladder pulled it down or what. I do understand that a lot of time the bladder and uterus are stuck together when they operate - that is why a lot of doctors want to do the repair with a hyst. Good Luck with your decision. Keep that doctor that wants to use mesh - do check though which kind he plans on using.
Unread 11-09-2005, 06:50 PM
fallen bladder

thanks to all who answered my questions. have decided to put off surgery until i have more problems than i am currently having. i am going to try a pessary during the day and will remove it at night. it seems like something i can live with for now. suzeb
Unread 11-09-2005, 10:50 PM
fallen bladder

suzeb21,

Does a pessary work good? Did you have to have it fitted. Could you give me more information on how you came about deciding which one to get. I heard there are many, many different shapes, etc. Like I said before, I'm like you. I'm going to live with it for as long as I can, but I haven't thought of using a pessary. How much of an improvement do you feel wearing one.
Thanks

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.