HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Watery, pink discharge question please... Watery, pink discharge question please...

Unread 10-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Watery, pink discharge question please...

In a nutshell: I am 45 w/3 C-Sections and a Tubal Ligation with the last CS. Normal periods all my life, like clockwork. Lots of ovulating pain and PMS type cramps, again like clockwork. The past 6 months + I have noticed a "spotting", usually when I ovulate. That has recently changed however, to a pink, watery type of discharge with no rhyme or reason....now my period is at least one week late....I have checked the toilet paper consistantly for about 20 years.....I guess out of habit. I am scheduled for a total abdominal hysterectomy on Nov. 16 (the day after my 46th birthday!). I guess I'm looking at symptoms and wondering....My Dr. suggests adneomyosis from the ultrasound...
Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-25-2005, 03:49 PM

I wish I could tell you more than there are a myriad of reasons as to why you are having this discharge.

Just wanted to wish you an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery!

's
Unread 10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
3 Sisters...

I can't help but smile when I read your name - 3 Sisters. The town I live in is named after the Three Sisters Mountains!

Thanks for the encouragement...
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:53 PM

Shellstork,

Do you have this discharge every day (when you're not bleeding) or is it just a once-a-month thing? I would be more concerned if it's a daily occurance than if it's just once a month. Was your doctor very concerned about it?

Louise
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:10 PM
well....

It's been an everyday thing for a month or so.....
mind if I ask what your symptoms were? I know we're all unique and things are different for each of us, I am just curious!
Thank you.
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:57 PM

Shell,
Why are you having an hysterectomy?
There are a lot of reasons for a discharge. Do you have spotting at any time? I had a clear, watery, discharge, which is a symptom of cervical cancer. It did eventually have some pink in it, because of spotting. Cervical tumors are very friable and likely to spot after sex, or even bowel movements, depending on the location of the tumor. The same symptoms could also be a fibroid, or a polyp or a hundred other things.

There really is no way to know the reason for your symptoms without tests, biospies, etc.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 10-25-2005, 09:54 PM
because....

My uterus feels so uncomfortable - the heavy flooding of my periods, the constant cramping, the suggestion of adneomyosis from the ultra-sound and the "boggy" feeling of my uterus, plus the spotting and now watery fluid coming out of my body. I am ready for this surgery and looking forward to feeling better. I have been bloated in the reproductive area for years!!
Unread 10-26-2005, 07:04 AM

Shellstork,

I had posed a similar question to yours before my surgery. See my thread entitled "Pre-op Vaginal Discharge with Cervical Dysplasia?" under the Cancer Concens forum.

During the year before surgery, I had excessive bleeding problems which during the last nine months was almost daily. I say almost, because on the days I wasn't bleeding I had a profuse watery discharge, enough to require a full maxi pad. At my first session with the OB/GYN who became my surgeon, I talked about the bleeding (which didn't surprise him because my ultrasound showed a large fibroid tumor) and about the discharge (about which he did seem concerned). I then had an endometrial biopsy and a colposcopy which showed cervical dysplasia as well, at which point he recommended a TAH. We never really talked about the discharge anymore and I had the surgery. After the surgery the pathologist discovered that I had uterine cancer.

So was the discharge from the cancer? Or from the cervical dysplasia? I don't really know. I also had hemorrhagic cysts on my ovaries --- frankly, just about everything was wrong with my female organs except a prolapsed uterus.

I am not trying to alarm you here. There are many, many reasons for a discharge. But I think you should mention it again to your doctor.

In retrospect, I think perhaps the only mistake made in my case was relying on the endomtrial biopsy only without having a D&C. But who knows? I haven't seen the oncologist yet, and my pathology reports shows my tumor was buried in my uterine muscle, which maybe why it wasn't picked up in the endomtrial biopsy, and may and may not have shown up in a D&C.

I hope this helps. I'm certainly not trying to scare you here. But if you are having this discharge daily I would certainly make sure your doctor takes this sympton seriously.

Louise
Unread 10-26-2005, 08:15 AM

Hi Shellstork,

I had the same thing. I used to call it watery blood. In 2003 I didn't have a period for about three months then after that they became very heavy, with a lot of pain and cramping. In May 2004 my periods became irregular as well, lasting up to 20 days, then starting again a couple of days later. Plus this watery blood.

I had an ultrasound scan which showed a thickened uterus lining plus fibroids and a polyp. I was referred to a gyn. Over the course of the next few weeks I had a hysteroscopy, D&C, and uterine biopsy. It was recommended that I have a TAH/BSO which I had last November.

The pathology report showed severe atypical hyperplasia (pre-cancer)with adenomyosis.

I hope all goes well with your op. Please keep us up to date.

Best wishes

Geraldine
Unread 10-26-2005, 08:39 AM

Hi Shellstork,
Welcome to CC, a forum none of us, of course, chooses to belong to, but you will find much wisdom and lots of of big -hearted women here who are willing to share what they know.
As you're probably aware, your symptoms may have many reason, most not cancer-related. Has your doctor reviewed these symtoms with you yet? If you have not done so yet, please advise him soon, your surgery is coming quickly and he should have all relevant information including family medical history, etc. If you should learn there is any possibility cancer could be lurking, please consider, at least, consulting with a gyn/onc who are the real experts in this field.
Please let us know how you make out.
s, peggiesue

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway