HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vagina to tight after surgery.. is that normal?? Vagina to tight after surgery.. is that normal??

Unread 10-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Vagina to tight after surgery.. is that normal??

HI, I had a TVH w/ rectocele, cystocele and major pelvic floor repair. Well the Dr. said that he would tighten me up like I was before I had kids!! Well, he sure did!! I am now 13 weeks out and feel like I am to tight. I know that the vagina will stretch, but it just is tight! My DH has noticed a major change, but says that he doesn't mind!! He sure climaxes a lot faster now!!
But it takes so long for him to enter me and for me to get loosed up enough to be comfortable and enjoy it!! By the time I do, he is done!!!!!!!!
We do use quite a bit of lub and take it slow, but has anyone else had this problem???
Is this just part of the healing process and will it better?? Thanks for any replies and sorry for TMI!!
But I know it is OK to ask my hystersisters!!
Unread 10-27-2005, 06:32 AM

You poor thing !!! GREAT for your hubby ! I don't even know what to say to you other than keep on using that lube, and hopefully over time things will naturally loosen up.

If it is that uncomfortable, and concerns you then I would call my doc and see what he/she has to say.

I wish you luck with this, I know it has to be a little annoying.

Hugs to you!
Michele
Unread 10-27-2005, 06:33 AM

Hi, I had the same surgery as you and my gyn told me the same thing about tightening me up like before I had kids. Anyway at my 1st visit yesterday she said something like, you're tightened up and so make sure to have plenty of lube and a couple glasses of wine before you attempt sex in about 4 more weeks. I've heard what you feel is normal and I have a feeling I'll be experiencing the very same thing.
Unread 10-27-2005, 06:43 AM

I'm 5 weeks post op and my Dr. told me he tightened me up too. I'm not cleared until next week for intercourse, now I'm curious and a little nervous! Like Jess352 said, drink some wine! I do anyway and I may have a couple more glasses prior to it!
Unread 10-27-2005, 11:16 PM

I had anterior and posterior repair too and before I had the anesthesia I asked the Dr to make me like a 20 year old again. He sure did!! The first time DH and I had sex I wanted him to critique the whole thing, was it too loose, too tight, did it feel different? All he said was "Tell the Dr... Thank you". It does loosen up a bit after so just use lots of lube, take it slow, and if DH reaches the stars before you... he owes you one!!
Michelle
Unread 10-28-2005, 08:16 AM

I'm having surgery on Nov. 16 for rectocele repair. Can you ask the Doc. to do that? Just thought it might be fun for DH. lol
Tara
Unread 10-28-2005, 08:34 AM

I have read that there are things you can buy to help stretch out the vagina and make it bigger. In fact I heard you could even use a cucumber (make sure it's clean and lubricated and be gentle).

I asked my doc before my TVH if I would be smaller, shorter, or tighter and he said no, he'd keep it the same. I was glad because I didn't want to be smaller. But I'm very curious how it will be down there. My uterus had prolapsed and was in the way although it didn't really interfere with intercourse. Now with the uterus gone, will I be too roomy? I guess I'll find out in a few weeks!
Unread 10-28-2005, 08:58 AM

A cucumber !!!!! Sound like that would hurt!!!
Unread 10-28-2005, 09:56 AM

Wow!! Thanks for all the replies!!

Abbey0000, Yes you can ask the Dr.to make you tighter... I did!!

I'm not sure about the cucumber though!! Sounds painful!!!

DH and I will keep trying to use LOTS of lube to see if it will stretch out a bit!! (the one thing I don't like about using a lot of lube is how messy it is!!, Gets EVERYWHERE )

Thanks again to all of my hystersisters!!!
Unread 10-28-2005, 04:12 PM

I also had the rectocele repair. To do that, they remove excess vaginal tissue and suture that up. They also sometimes (for me they did) have to remove the scar tissue from childbirth that is at the entrance to the vagina. The doc told me it would be tight, but it would stretch. But the doc also had to stretch it during the first two exams. He said that sometimes when you heal, the tissues will draw down and become too tight. I had a couple of silver nitrate treatments, and the doc did the stretching. Then he said we had to just have intercourse several times before it would be OK.
I hate to say this, but it really HURT at first. Even with lots of lube. Finally after a few months it was tolerable, and now it is fine, not uncomfortable at all.
I think everyone heals differently and certainly should have their doc examine them if they are having any discomfort or pain. Just to make sure it is normal and will resolve with time.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway