HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

how long should I wear pads? how long should I wear pads?

Unread 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM
how long should I wear pads?

I am 10 days post op. I am very pleased with my recovery. Feeling very well and only having pain when I overdo it, which I am trying to be "good". My question; I have had no real bleeding or spottinh since I came home from the castle. I do wear a pad everyday, just in case. Can I expect to still have some bleeding or spotting. I would love to free myself from these pads, since I have been wearing one since June. I'm so afraid that I will not wear one and have a terrible episode. Thanks for you input
Unread 10-31-2005, 03:35 PM

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post-op and haven't used anything but a pantyliner since I've been home from the hospital. Some days I wouldn't even need that, but other times have a little spotting or discharge. Hope this helps.
Unread 10-31-2005, 03:43 PM

I am 9 weeks postop today. I wore a pad for about 5 days postop just in case. I really didn't need one past the 2nd day.

Good luck!
Unread 10-31-2005, 03:52 PM

I wore a pantyliner from day 3 on.
Unread 10-31-2005, 04:57 PM

Memaw, my surgery (TVH) was the day before yours. I have had a similar recovery ~ feeling very good as long as I don't overdo it. I am still spotting just a bit, more when I'm up and around a lot. I could get by with just a pantiliner, but I'm using up the pads I already have first! I would think if you haven't been spotting all along, and you've been up and about and not just resting all the time, you probably are done with the spotting. I might continue with the pads until you are at your 2-week mark just to be on the safe side, and then try going without? Maybe some of the ladies who are farther out from their castle experience can help us. Best of luck, and glad you're doing so well.
Unread 10-31-2005, 05:08 PM

I didn't need to wear a pad/pantyliner until the beginning of my 3rd week ... and I needed one until my 6th week ... as the stitches dissolve, minor discharge occured. We're all so different .. no way to be certain of what you'll experience.
Unread 10-31-2005, 05:11 PM

Ranchgal - I see you're from Central Oregon. <hospital name removed for privacy reasons> I have my surgery on 11/16....
Unread 10-31-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchgal
Memaw, my surgery (TVH) was the day before yours. I have had a similar recovery ~ feeling very good as long as I don't overdo it. I am still spotting just a bit, more when I'm up and around a lot. I could get by with just a pantiliner, but I'm using up the pads I already have first! I would think if you haven't been spotting all along, and you've been up and about and not just resting all the time, you probably are done with the spotting. I might continue with the pads until you are at your 2-week mark just to be on the safe side, and then try going without? Maybe some of the ladies who are farther out from their castle experience can help us. Best of luck, and glad you're doing so well.
I would continue with at least a pantyliner under 2 weeks. I was done to nothing at the end of the first and then in the middle of the 2nd, at night while asleep both times, had some bright red leakage. It turned out to be nothing, but I was glad I was still wearing a liner.
Unread 10-31-2005, 05:40 PM

I had my surgery on the 11th of October, and the first 2 or 3 days is when I needed a pad. After that I started using pantyliners. Even now some days I don't wear one the some days i do. I stopped bleeding around the 4 or 5th day.
Unread 10-31-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellstork
Ranchgal - I see you're from Central Oregon. <hospital name removed for privacy reasons> I have my surgery on 11/16....
Hi, shellstork. Yes, I'm not really that far away from you in Sisters. Bend is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live. My castle was in Medford, though, not Bend. (I'm assuming you mentioned the castle in Bend, although the administrators removed it before I had a chance to read what you wrote.)

Good luck with your surgery!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway