HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Advice on recovery from Radical Hysterectomy Advice on recovery from Radical Hysterectomy

Unread 10-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Advice on recovery from Radical Hysterectomy

Hello, ladies. I am new to this site, and I am very grateful for this space to ask questions and read information.

I had a radical hysterectomy on Sept 29th for stage 1B1 cervical cancer. I am 37 years old, 2 children, happily married.

It seems the cancer developed over a 2-3 year period unless my previous normal PAPs were really not normal. Anyway, during that time period I went untreated for low thyroid and then undertreated for it. Finally, I had extreme stress of medical emergencies requiring my help and travel with my handicapped sister, then my father almost dying and then my mom being laid up for months for internal bleeding. I ahve no doubt that this is why I developed cervical cancer.

When I learned what was going on, I dramatically changed my lifestyle and diet. I went to raw foods, acupuncture, intestinal cleansing, moderate exercise, vegetarian diet with no sugar, caffeine or white flour, lots of prayer, supplements. It really helped me as I lost weight, detoxed and felt incredible after three months of this. When I went for surgery, the spot had shrunk a whole centimeter from 3 cm to 2 cm.

I still went for the radical hysterectomy as I felt god used all the lifestyle and dietary changes to prepare my body fro surgery. I ahve 2 children and a loving husband, and I do not want to take any chances of cancer returning to me.

Anyway, when they remove 2/3 of the parametrial tissue, they also remove some blood vessels and nerves that nourish the bladder and intestines. I have no sense of knowing whenmy bladder is full, but I can pee and empty by the clock and when I think i need to based on how much and what I am drinking. I can live with this.

What is screwing me up now are my intestines. I need advice about regulating them. Will they even out? Some days I am in the bathroom every hour with small amounts coming out. Other days, I empty close to normal ones, frequently though. Other times I just feel constipated. Will it get better with time? Are there any things I can do to help regulate myself? I can't travel or do much as I need to be close to a toilet. i am frustrated as the doctor tells me there is no way he can know what will happen with them. Most patients experience chronic constipation and use laxative/stool softeners. I can go, but it just seems so frequent, as much as every hour.

I would LOVE to hear from anyone else who has gone through this. Do the nerves grow back and the bowels settle down? How long? Does exercises improve it? I know walking stimulates them and has helped. Any foods that help bulk it or move it through more easily? Herbs? Please let me know.
Unread 10-31-2005, 07:26 PM

I have a similiar problem regarding bowels but mine stems from radiation after a hyster for endo cancer. I too have been frustrated because my gyno/onc can't tell me if and when things will return to normal. At my next appt.I plan to ask him for a referrel to a gastroenterologist. These docs specialize is bowel problems and may be able to help you. Good luck. anna
Unread 11-01-2005, 03:58 PM

I'm afraid my problem is totally different from yours. Ever since my last surgery in Oct. '04, I have been constipated, probably because the dr. had to resection my bowel because of cancer growing around it. I kept searching for something natural to take instead of so many laxatives and stool softeners. I finally found a product called Cleanse More that contains herbs that has really done the trick for me. I wish I knew of something for your problem, but keep looking, I'm sure there must be someone out there who can help. Hopefully, it will correct itself with time. I know after major surgery it takes a while for everything to get back to normal.

Wishing you the best,

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.