HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Burning spot on thigh and ovarian cyst Burning spot on thigh and ovarian cyst

Unread 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Burning spot on thigh and ovarian cyst

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this in connection with an ovarian cyst. (I'm sorry this is so long!)

First off, I've been in extreme pain off and on for the past two weeks. I ended up in the ER on Oct. 23, and they did a transvaginal ultrasound and found a 3 cm complex cyst on my right ovary. At my follow-up GYN appointment, my doctor said we'd "watch" the cyst for a month, so I'm scheduled for another ultrasound in a few weeks.

However, for the past few days, the pain has just been horrible. The ER doc gave me a presciption for Vicodin, but I can't take them and drive or work, plus they make me sick. So, I've been trying to control the pain with Motrin, which does about as much good as taking Tic Tacs for pain would.

Yesterday, the pain eased up a bit and I felt so much better, but today it's back again. Wednesday, when it was really bad, I started noticing that every few hours, I felt a "hot spot" on the upper outer portion of my right thigh (same side as the abdominal pain.) The skin in that area isn't hot, it's more of nerve type reaction. Today, with the pain increasing again in my abdomen, the burning sensation is back in my thigh, but more constant.

What on earth is all this? Could this all be associated with that stupid cyst? Dang, I wish that thing would resolve and give me some relief! I'm still also having problems with constipation/diarrhea and nausea too. I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in two weeks (and he's on vacation until then), but don't know if I can hold out that long. I don't want to go back to the ER, they don't really do anything but pump me full of morphine, which makes me sick.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? I just feel miserable and so unsure as to what I should do! :cry:
Unread 11-04-2005, 12:40 PM

yes! thats exactly what it is. Its a nerve thats being compressed. I had a 45 lb!! ovarian cyst removed and it was pressing on a nerve. Mine was sooo bad I couldnt stand the pain if I even walked more than 10 minutes.
I think its all connected, things move around and unfortunatly cause weird pains. I infact still get little hot spots on the same thigh every once in a while, if I am laying a certain way.
But, dont worry they will go away!!
Unread 11-05-2005, 01:06 AM

Wow, that is GREAT insite.
This site is so wonderful!
Unread 11-05-2005, 06:39 AM

Shashi,

This pain could most certainly be related to pressure from your cyst, but I am suspicious that you could possibly be developing a case of shingles aka herpes zoster. Shingles often presents itself in a similar manner to what you are experiencing unilateral severe pain along a nerve line or dermatone. Along the lateral aspect of the thigh runs branches of the sciatic nerve a common area where shingles develops. If you notice you are developing a rash at the pain site which is the usual progression of shingles give your doctor a call ASAP because if antiviral meds are taken within 24-48 hours post rash erruption this can often reduces the severity of the outbreak.

Take care and please keep us posted.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.