HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Trans-Vaginal Dermal Sling anyone? Trans-Vaginal Dermal Sling anyone?

Unread 11-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Question - Trans-Vaginal Dermal Sling anyone? Trans-Vaginal Dermal Sling anyone?

This is what my uro said he plans to install in me - trans-vaginal dermal sling (porcine). He stressed that this is NOT the tape, but something quite different. He says he's had no failures, and he thinks it is a relatively easy recovery. So I'm just looking for shared experiences -- anyone?

The uro admitted that he didn't know what kind of recovery the gyno's rectocele repair would require, but everything I've read in this forum indicates that I might want more than two weeks to recover, but maybe his sling procedure won't be so bad.
Thanks -
Desk
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Trans-Vaginal Dermal Sling anyone?

I've been reading more posts and searching the web for info on the transvaginal dermal sling (also known as pubovaginal sling) and it looks like the TVTape was supposed to be a more effective procedure. Yet I see so many problems listed here from the TVT, I have to admit, I'm getting very confused and am not at all sure I want to pursue this surgery! *sigh*
Unread 11-04-2005, 10:06 PM
slings

Check out this site, it explains all the procedures. I had the ToT http://www.urologychannel.com/incont...ent_surg.shtml
Unread 11-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks!
Unread 11-07-2005, 09:15 AM

Desk,

I hope that your doctor has done urodynamics testing on you. It may be that the results of that led him/her to believe that the pubovaginal sling would be more effective in your situation.

The consensus for several years has been that there are two effective procedures for stress incontinence: the Burch and the pubovaginal sling. However, with the introduction of the TVT procedure (and its offshoots like the TOT, Sparc, etc.) it has really taken off because of its effectiveness and the fact that it is minimally invasive.

I hope that your doctor has made the sling recommendation for you based on evidence that it is the best procedure for you and not just because "it's the one he does."

Best wishes to you.
Unread 11-07-2005, 09:42 AM

Thanks, Bonniebes. I had the cystoscopy done last week and I go in for the urodynamics test on Wed. I'm assuming he is doing the urodynamics test to learn more about what my situation is, but after last weeks cystoscopy he seemed comfortable saying the TVDS when I asked him which he planned to do. He said, specifically, NOT the tape. That was said because I mentioned it when I was writing it down and he said NOT tape, the sling. I also asked my gyn this morning how often they do these procedures together (he and the uro) and he said sometimes weekly, probably 30-40 a year.

I will indeed ask why he has chosen the particular procedure, but I also asked him about his success rate and he said he's not had one fail yet, so maybe his choice is based on his historical success? I'll find out. I feel pretty good about him, he seems very straightforward yet compassionate as necessary. Looks me in the eye, answers all questions until I am satisfied... all that good stuff.

So I'll let you know! Thanks for the heads up!
Desk
Unread 05-21-2007, 09:46 PM

I would think about taking more than 2 weeks to recover. I had a vaginal hyster along with my pubovaginal sling and A & P repair and it took a while to start feeling good.

Be sure they give you stool softeners before you leave the hospital! They didn't and I was constipated for 6 weeks! Ouch!
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:07 AM

I'm having the exact same procedure, Desk. My uro guy told me that he's not had a failure either from this sling (porcine). He said from this particular procedure, if I was doing just this alone, my recovery time would be minimal, however, since I am having hyster and A & P repair, my recovery will be 8 weeks, minimum...
I am very confident w/ my urologist as well. He is very compassionate and straightforward. He also was very specific in my case that it was NOT the TAPE. ??? the class of the cystocele maybe??? I dunno ??? But from the first appt he said the dermal sling.
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:02 AM

Thanks for letting me know, and good luck to you!

Due to family issues (moving my folks to town and caregiving), I was not able to proceed with the surgery. Fortunately for me it seems that once we got rid of my horrible persistent cough that had hung on for 5 months, I no longer had any problems. My urologist was the one who told me to use an inhaler, and the cough was gone in a week! and the rest of the problems cleared themselves up.
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:06 AM

oh! well, good for you!!! Wish I was so lucky!!!
I did not notice that you had posted so long ago! Thanks again for the luck... I'm glad your problem vanished. and hope it doesn't return anytime soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.