HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long does it take for the stitches to dissolve? How long does it take for the stitches to dissolve?

Unread 04-06-2001, 03:46 PM
How long does it take for the stitches to dissolve?

Shouldn't all my internal stitches be gone by now? (10 weeks post op.) So why is it that I get SO sore when I'm up and about for awhile? I mean I don't think there is anything extra wrong here, I hear others say the same thing, but I'm confused. I kept thinking this would be like a sore in my mouth that would go away fast. But it's NOT. I'm sore all the time now (because I stay up instead of being in bed?) but it seems just a little much. Can't it simmer down to a slow burn or something? I don't like this!
Unread 04-06-2001, 04:52 PM

I am sorry you are having pain. I am also 10 weeks post op and I also have pain when I do too much. I felt pretty good until a week or so ago, and then I started experiencing pain in my right side again. It's like a stinging sensation. My belly still swells at night. Will this ever end ?

I too was wondering when the internal stitches dissolve.

I think we have to realize that we are STILL recovering from major surgery and have to SLOW DOWN!

My best to you.
Unread 04-06-2001, 05:15 PM
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I guess misery loves company, eh? Sure nice to know I'm not alone. But Geesh. What's this six week magic marker? I thought it might mean that the pain would be less but I'm with you, I'm in more pain now that I was then!! And doctor says I can do whatever I want! Maybe she should have said whatever my BODY wants!
Unread 04-06-2001, 05:23 PM

It is nice to know that we are not alone. I am sooo uncomfortable lately. I was been able to get back into my jeans since around week 6, and now it hurts to wear them. I am back in my sweats!!!!

I have found that the heating pad helps. (It's horrible on the hot flashes though!!)

There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Unread 04-06-2001, 05:29 PM

Hi Arctic,

I know very well how hard it is to be patient with hyst recovery. At 10 weeks, I still had lots of tenderness in the abdomen, too. In fact, it (along with swelly-belly) tapered off very slowly over several months.

I have heard that internal stitches can take a surprisingly long time to dissolve entirely. That might be something to ask your Dr. about. Even when they've dissolved, the healing tissue in those areas remains very fragile for awhile. Lots of supportive ligaments have been cut and reattached.

The gyn of one of our hostesses said that it takes at least 6 months to a year to heal totally, so you might have a while yet before you reach the "slow burn" stage. You have had MAJOR surgery. Take heart, however, it does get better....slowwwwwly.

Your body is telling you that there is still much healing going on, so take the cue and rest more. Hang in there!

Take it from me, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. But one thing I've learned about when Drs. say you can "do anything you want". It means that you must resume those activities very gradually. This is frustating sometimes, if not misleading.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 04-06-2001, 05:48 PM
Thanks Linda

I guess I should go look at the site that shows a hysterectomy being done so I understand it more or something. I don't know what I imagined - just scooping out the bad parts and sewing me back together, I guess. I didn't think about ligaments and stuff like that.

I know that part of my problem is that my family really could use me being in the best shape possible and I want to be more helpful to them. It's a fine line we walk at this point, and I know I need to somehow find the time to give my body what it needs. I KNOW that, but I find it hard to DO that!

Thanks for the supportive reply.
Unread 04-06-2001, 06:10 PM

HI Artic,

Just adding my two cents worth. At my 2 wk ck up, the doc told me that I would still have stitches disolving at 3 months. Especially in the side pelvic region where the ligaments were reattached.
I'm just over 3 wks post op..and this recovery seems like it goes on forever!
Hang in there,
Skye
Unread 04-07-2001, 06:14 AM
Thanks Skye

You know, I didn't even think to ask my doctor these questions when I saw her (twice). Now I won't see her again until fall unless there is some major problem. So I really appreciate the feedback. I can't believe I didn't ask her what exactly she did in there. I meant to, there just seemed to be so many other things to talk about. She doesn't rush me at all. I just wasn't prepared, but I may make a list for my family physician and go talk to him. I'm gathering info so I can ask the right questions!

As for you, don't get antsy at 3 weeks! You'll be totally looney by the time you can really get back to normal!
Unread 04-07-2001, 06:18 AM

I agree with what the other ladies have said. What concerns me is that you said you feel worse now at ten weeks than you did at six weeks. Your healing process is a long one, but you should be gradually feeling better, not worse. If you continue to feel worse, don't wait until the Fall to see your doctor. Best wishes,
Unread 04-07-2001, 07:23 AM

Hi Arctic,

Catherine has made a good point. However, if you have been up and about too quickly without resuming activities slowly, I could see how you might feel "worse" for a time. It's a good idea to talk this over with your Dr. nonetheless.

Also, you might want to request a copy of your operative report to see a detailed account of all that was done inside there, down to the type of suture used. It will be a real eye-opener. You are entitled to the report, and my Dr. was happy to send me a copy of mine free of charge. You might show it to your family members, too, so they can have a keener awareness of what has happened.

My very best to you...

Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.