HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do hot flashes EVER go away? Do hot flashes EVER go away?

Unread 04-06-2001, 06:13 PM
Do hot flashes EVER go away?

I am not on HRT, and have horrid night sweats. Do hot flashes and night sweats ever decrease or go away completely?
Unread 04-06-2001, 06:40 PM
Sorry for the heat wave

Are you using any supplements? I had night sweats right after surgery but none since. I went off HRT about a month ago. My Dr. suggested I try black cohash and vit. E. Maybe you should talk to your dr. to see what supplements would be ok for you to use. I was worried about the symptoms when I stopped ERT but I feel so much better. A couple of times I have had a flush to my face (have had that for years) but no real night sweats or hot flashes. I think it is the black cohash. Hope you find relief soon
Unread 04-06-2001, 06:48 PM
Thank You

Thank you for your reply. I am taking vitamin E and evening primrose oil twice daily. It seems to have helped the hot flashes somewhat during the day, but it hasn't helped the night sweats.

I tried black cohash and it did seem to help at night, but I stopped because it made me feel very anxious and jittery. Maybe I will give it a try again.

My best to you.

Unread 04-06-2001, 06:56 PM
interesting

I never have had any jittery feelings. But I am a very low key person (too much so). Was it during the day or night? I take one in the morning and one at night. I sleep really well but on those rare times when I have too much on my mind at night I take valerian and it really calms you down so you can sleep without that groggy feeling. Hope you find something that works soon. Maybe someone else will post here who has had luck with some other supplement.
Unread 04-08-2001, 07:22 AM
Christinarose

Have you tired flax seed oil? My Dr. suggested this and it has helped me quite a bit. The sweats are not as frequent or as intense. Might be working asking your Dr. about. The added benefit is that flax seed helps protect the bowel and intestine from atrophy. I have found my digestion and bathroom distress have been helped since I began flax seed oil.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 04-08-2001, 08:45 AM
Kaatie

I haven't tried flax seed oil. Is it taken once daily? I will have to give it a try.
Unread 04-08-2001, 05:12 PM
Hi Christinarose...

My Dr. started me out with 1000mg capsules one in the am and one at bedtime. She increased it to 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. She said I could increase it again if the hot flashes increase again. I would check with your Dr. and make sure he/she approves of flax seed. I read alot about soy and black cohash here and my Dr. told me not to take those 2 things. Your Dr. knows your body and circumstances best. I really hope you get some relief soon.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 04-08-2001, 06:30 PM
Do hot flashes EVER go away?

Thanks Kaatie..I will check with my doctor about flax seed oil. At this point, I am willing to try anything!!
Unread 04-08-2001, 07:18 PM
oh Christinarose....

I know just what you mean. Today was the first hot day in our area and the place I work hasn`t turned the heat down yet. It was a busy day and I was standing there soaking wet. The back of my dress was clinging to me and I could feel that my hair was wet and sticking to my neck. I felt stinky and I couldn`t wait to come home and shower. Guess I will buy one of those battery operated personal fans and put it on my shoulder. Won`t I look cute? The thing that bothers me the most though is my sleep being interuppted by a night sweat. My sleep pattern seems like a series of naps. I know we get the 'hots', but I wonder why we get them? Think I`ll go post that in the Desert!

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 04-08-2001, 08:44 PM
My hot flashes went away pre op

Hi

Just to give some hope here, after several years of really really frequent and severe hot flashes and night sweats (went two winters without being able to wear anything with a collar and didn't dare use a sweater) my hot flashes completely disappeared. I was not on HRT except for a short try of Premarin when I thought I couldn't take it anymore. That didn't help, and the other side effects were too strong so I had to stop taking it. Then all of a sudden, I just noticed one day that I wasn't having those long sweaty times, and my face wasn't getting beet red anymore.

So I guess it doesn't have to last forever!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.