HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How do I relax before surgery? How do I relax before surgery?

Unread 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
How do I relax before surgery?

i cant tell all of you how i have been stressing over having my surgery(TAH) and now i just feel more relaxed ...which im hoping stays this way ...i want to thank everyone for resonding to all my threads it has helped me so much...if for some reason i do have anxiety the day of my surgery i want to know will something go wrong thats my only worry that if i have anxiety and go under the anesthia that im gonna have a heart attack or something that i guess is my biggest fear just realizing it now ...i cancelled my surgery right on the operating table the last time due to my heart racing so much after they put the relaxation medication in my IV and couldnt breathe with the oxygen mask on (had a bad stuffy nose) so i just jumped up and cancelled ...so i just want to know that if this happens again would something happen to me while im under or does your body automatically relax?? my DR is giving me valium in my IV before going into the operating room at my request...so i hope i am relaxed and will that put me to sleep (the valium) cause if it does then hey i will be fine getting the valium then waking up in recovery..
Unread 11-08-2005, 11:33 PM

Dear soprecious34........I KNOW they put something in my I.V. because I was like "la la" in the op room. I felt no fear, I was wide awake, not groggy or out of it.

My dr came over and said hello to me and introduced his staff. A little nurse sat down beside me and held my hand real tight w/o a word (that's when I figure they put the anesthtic over my nose )and that's all I remember until I was on the elevator w/ two nurses and my sister who was w/ me the whole way.

It was just like magic to me....still is....real miraculous that we have the technology to put you asleep like that. Really, in my case that was a piece of cake....I kid you not.

I think that sedative was administered as soon as I had the IV hooked up. I was still in my clothes at that time and felt no fear at all. For post op meeting, I told nurse that I suffered from extreme anxiety at times, so they knew that in advance and did their thing.......Don't worry, they know what to do.

While going for the ride there, I must tell you that I was reluctant and didn't know what to expect, but I was never fearful. Wierd, I guess now that I think of it.

Hope my little story helped..HUGS.Dianne

All the BEST to you. You're going to do just great !!!
Unread 11-09-2005, 06:55 AM

Hi soprecious34
I'm glad you're feeling more relaxed and ready for your surgery. Feeling nervous is normal though. Most of us feel that way to some extent.
I can share my experience with valium. I think you'll find it will help you a lot. I have had to have several MRI's and found quickly that I am very claustrophobic. When I found myself enclosed in that thing I really paniced, much like what you did in the OR with your first surgery. I was shouting and pounding on the thing for them to let me out. I never thought I could go in there again. My dr has given me valium each time now. It doesn't put me to sleep, although I could have easily gone to sleep,even in the tube.
I think you'll find it will take care of any anxiety might have. You'll be so glad it is over. We'll be looking for you in post op.

's, Rita
Unread 11-09-2005, 07:22 AM

I have only had one surgery where I was coherent going into the OR, and haven't done it since. I always ask for something before.

I had Lapro back in May and asked for something at my Pre-Op visit, they put it in the chart, and on the surgery day, as soon as I got my IV in, he came in and put it in the IV and I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in recovery. I laugh about it because they took a pregnancy and drug test and I was out of it when they came back and told my husband the results. (Told him it was a good thing I wasn't hiding anything from him. )

Just tell your Dr. that you want something going in, and I'm sure they will help you out. It's all stressing enough as it is. I'm still 2 weeks away and already not sleeping.
Unread 11-09-2005, 08:54 AM

I had IV valium once (when I had a tooth pulled). I had no problems with it. I send all my best wishes that you have a similar experience.

Unread 11-09-2005, 09:55 AM

My experience was a little strange. I got to the castle and they started to prep me. Got the IV in, do the blood pressure thing and several others. You wait in a room on a stretcher with other surgery patients until it is your time to go to the OR. My dr came in to see me before the surgery, and told me that I was the most calmist-looking surgery patient she'd ever had. In one way I could really understand that comment because this was something I knew I had to do, and knew it was for the best. However, inside, I was a big bundle of nerves, with all the what-if's rolling through my mind. It is so hard to relax when your mind is telling you different.

It won't be easy, but try to distract yourself with jokes, fond memories and anything else good you can think of.

Keep in mind that your sisters here are thinking about you and will be here for you, when you too, become a princess.
Unread 11-09-2005, 11:30 AM

thanks all sooooooooooooo much ...this is really helping me more and more....this site is so addictive to me ...i am on it all the time...well tomorrow is pre-op ....then the next day is the big day....cant wait i guess i know what to expect in pre-op and waiting for the surgery so i am prepared...im getting everything done today last minute things ...so that way tom. when i get home from pre-op im cooking then getting in my bed and relaxing for the big day...i basically only have to wash all the beddings and clean the entire bathroom and im done ....thank you all sooo much again and i will keep you posted ...im sure i will be on this site tom..hahaha! i just cant stay away!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.