HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

They left gauze packing inside of me-causing all of my infections!!!!! They left gauze packing inside of me-causing all of my infections!!!!!

Unread 11-09-2005, 07:34 PM
They left gauze packing inside of me-causing all of my infections!!!!!

They left Gauze Packing inside of me now for 7 weeks causing my infections!!!!!

I had a TVH, SPARC TVT and a Anterioir Posterior Repair on Sept 16th. I've had three post op infections Kidney, UTI. I was hospitalized and had a cat scan that showed no leakage abscess but said high density hazing in lower pelvic area. Long story..I've since had two Urologists say that would normally indicate gauze or any object without a sharp edge so forth. Friday at my pelvic exam (still so sick and not knowing anything was left) my obgyn surgeon said he was removing some small vaginal packing that was left. I felt it it hurt because he was snipping and pulling. I sat up and looked at it and it was sooo gross (sorry) He then said he was worried that due to my UA's that it was slightly possible that the tape sling may have eroded into my bladder. I had a cystscopy and it was normal thankfully. I was already starting to feel soooooo much better now that the gauze was removed. This URologist was my Doc's identicle twin brother and he started saying that if there were any packing at all that would be the culprit to my sickness. This was before he realized I was Shonna his brothers patient. Then he recanted and back tracked. He then called my Doc and my Doc said I misunderstood. It was just the suture material he removed. I was shocked and disappointed and then embarassed all at the same time. He absolutely said vaginal packing where my sutures were at my vaginal cuff area. Now where would I come up with that? I don't know what to do. Has anyone been through this??? Any advice? I"m not permanently damaged and I really am feeling better. It just hurts my feelings and intelligence that the two of them don't think I pay attention to this. I had all of my medical reports with me by this time and had read ALL of it. I know now what a leukocyte is, WBC, and so on. I know what a normal UA is and not. BTW, my last UA on Tuesday was the first normal one I've had in seven weeks!!

I hope everyone else is healing well!!!

Hugs
Unread 11-09-2005, 10:19 PM

If this were me I'd write a letter to the GYN and URO explaining to them how their actions affected me (insulting, humiliating, embarassed, etc).
After dropping the letter in the mailbox I would head over to their office(s) and get copies of my medical records.

Its ashame that Dr's are so worried these days with lawsuits that they start recanting their stories in order to make themselves appear godly. Mistakes happen and are part of being human; most patients are smart enough to understand that and accept that mistakes happen and move on with their lives. It makes matters alot worse when Dr's try to hide what happened instead of just telling the truth.

stay well
diana
Unread 11-10-2005, 06:58 AM

Thank you for your reply. I feel the exact same way. He is human and I make mistakes on a regular basis. I just wanted the truth and some dignity through this ordeal. Now that I posted my rant, I already feel better. I am going to write a letter to both of them. That's a great idea. Thank you again!
Unread 11-10-2005, 01:48 PM

Good luck with the letter(s). I failed to mention in my last post--glad that nothing too serious evolved from this mistake. Hopefully you're on the mends now and will be feeling 100% very soon.

stay well
diana
Unread 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Glad you are oka

Oh my gosh - I'm SO glad you are feeling better. I am so sorry you had to go thru such an awful time. I admire the way you have been able to articulate your feelings -- some of those emotions are difficult for us to admit we even have. Most importantly, you should remember that YOU have absolutely nothing to be embarassed about -- mad about maybe, but certainly not embarassed about. It is the doctors who should be mortified (and obviously are)!

I am so pleased you are on the mend, and if you need to rant some more, you just go right ahead!
Unread 11-11-2005, 04:42 AM

My gosh hon! That is just awful. I am sure having packaging material up there that long was a hugh breeding ground of bacteria etc that would have been the most likely culprit to all your problems. I would definitely change Dr's, get your medical records, and see what your Dr. wrote down on that last visit. I am sure he didn't write down his removing of your vaginal packaging material, as that could go against him. I just recently changed over my medical records to a new GYN Dr. and I was so sad about it...very emotional thing for me to do, but I knew it was in the best interest for me as my Dr. wasn't providing me the best post op care! Take care and a HUGH ((((HUG))))
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:19 AM

OH MY GOD, WHAT AN ORDEAL! Glad you are on the mend.
Unread 11-11-2005, 07:32 AM

How sad that they put themselves and each other before us, and yet we offer ourselves up to them with the utmost trust. When I was waiting to go for surgery I thought my was an angel, I trusted her with my life. After my 6 month follow up, it was like she didn't even know my name. My husband said I built her up so much he felt like he had to genuflect(sp?) every time I said her name, then I realized afterwards I was just a case file, just in a day's work. It was very sad.
I am glad nothing worse happened but I am so sorry for what you went through. The letter is a great idea, so is pulling the medical records! This is not the same thing, but when my mom died of cancer two years ago (in July) the doctor that signed her death certificate sent her a christmas card that December. I had her house up for sale and he sent it to her home address (she died in a nursing home, and he "says" he went to see her everyday although I never saw him once and I was there everyday) and when I went to pick up the mail I found it. So much for bedside manner.
God Bless. Wishing you much sunnier skies!

S.
Unread 11-11-2005, 08:09 AM

39nfallingapart

First of all I am so so sorry about your Mom. I can't believe he would send that card and stir up so many emotions during such a difficult time for you. I know exactly what you mean by holding your Doc on such a huge pedastool. I went into my surgeries completely naive and trusting. I didn't even doubt what he said, not even a second opinion. It makes me feel real dumb and I have regrets. I can't stay in the past but its hard right now to let go. I feel like I'm traumatized by it all a little. I'm not used to having so many pelvic examns by so many Doc's I don't know or even from my own. They can be rough forgetting that whole area is sewn with sutures. I wish they could be a woman for one day, it would make them better Docs and definitely a better bed side manner. Etleast now I will be more skeptical and ask a whole lot more questions. This ordeal could be so much better if they would just be honest and come forth and say it was a mistake and we are sorry that happened. My family Doc says my sutures are just now really starting to heal because my body had to fight the bad infection during my recovery time an thats the most frustrating part. I want to be normal again for my family and my staff. Sorry, I just realized I was ranting again. I love this site because I feel its the only place where other people really understand how I feel.

I really am so sorry for your loss and appreciate this and all the other kind posts.

Hugs to you

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.