HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Overactive & Overextended bladder & Uterine Fibroids Overactive & Overextended bladder & Uterine Fibroids

Unread 11-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Overactive & Overextended bladder & Uterine Fibroids

I found this forum today in my search for information on Overextended bladder.

I went to the urologist today for a Urodynamics test and it was concluded that I have an overextended bladder with possibly and overactive bladder also and that is the probably reason for my incontinence and the times when I just can't "go". I never knew a female could have problems with NOT being able to "go" but I have.

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts in May 2005 through a pelvic ultrasound. That is about the time I started experiencing the problems with my bladder. I am 45 almost 46 years old. I have multiple uterine fibroids with the largest being about the size of a tennis ball. I have one cyst on my right ovary with two para-ovarian cysts in the same region. It seems strange that I would begin to experience the bladder problems just shortly after the pelvic sonograms. About 2 or 3 times a month, (usually a day or so before my period is the worst), I just can not get the flow of urine to start even though I KNOW my bladder is full. This happens most of the time in the morning or even before I would normally get out of bed but it has happened at other times during the day. There were a couple of times I was about ready to have my husband take me to the hospital because I was so uncomfortable and wanted relief. After a couple hours of this pain and trying over and over to "go", I took a warm shower and then was able to "go". I never have made the trip to the ER (yet). Have other women had this experience with not being able to "go"?

I asked the doctor if it could be the weight of the fibroids pushing on the bladder and pinching something off and he said it wasn't. Do any of you know if fibroids can play a problem with bladder problems?

I have been told there are three options after my diagnoses with the fibroids and cysts. One, watch and wait and when I reach menopause, the fibroids will go away on their own. Two, take some kind of drug that will put me into temporary menopause thus shrinking the fibroids and allowing them to go away...BUT the con...the fibroids will come back after going off the drug. Three, do a hysterectomy. I DO NOT want to have a hysterectomy because my periods are still regular and I have the normal first day of cramping and normal 5-7 day flowing that I've always had since starting my period at 14. I think at this point, I just want to Watch and Wait. I do not want the surgery as I understand from the GYN that it cannot be done vaginally (which is the easiest to recover from from my understanding). Since the fibroids are so large, the surgery would have to be done with an incision...a lot longer and tougher recovery. Plus I DO NOT want to start dealing with the hormonal problems, etc. of not having my uterus and possibly no ovaries.

I have no clue as to when I may experience menopause because my mother died at age 49 from breast cancer and was still having her periods up until she started chemo. I am the oldest of four girls in my family so have no older sisters to compare to.

I would appreciate any comments regarding anything I've said that could help me understand my options and to hear your experiences.
Unread 11-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Fibroids cause havoc

It could be that your bladder problems are not the fibroids, but I can assure you that they do cause bladder problems. I didn't have that feeling of not being able to go, but I could not empty my bladder and had urgency all the time because of the fibroid pressing down on it.

My fibroid was larger than a grapefruit (can't believe it fit in there. It caused a misscarriage, otherwise unexplainable fevers (due to inflammation and degeneration), weight gain, symptoms of chronic fatigue and a bloating that was comparable to a 5 month pregnancy.

You have much more than the three options mentioned. Get another doctor. You could have all these things removed abdominally, you could have it done laprascopically (still can't spell it).

If you were me, I would not wait around until menopause. For you it could be years off. I personally wouldn't want to live like that for years. I didn't take the hormones either.

Get a second and third opinion and more if necessary. Hysterectomy does not require the skill of the surgeon like myomectomy does. Because of this, GYNs who are not practiced and comfortable with it will not offer it to you as an option.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-11-2005, 09:23 AM

Dear CakeDeco:

A second or third medical opinion may help you to find a solution that works for you. Perhaps you are a candidate for a UFE to shrink the fibroids. Can you find a uro-gynecologist in your area?

Here is a link to the fibroids section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26 and be sure to also check out www.thefibroidplace.com

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 11-11-2005, 09:34 AM

What is a UFE? I just found some information on MRgFUS. Have you heard of that? Is that the same thing as UFE? I found the link on this site to SightLine Health where it talks about MRgFUS (MR-guided focused ultrasound ablation). Sounds like possibly a good option for me. I have already emailed them questions about this procedure. Hopefully they will answer.
Unread 11-11-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDeco
What is a UFE?
Uterine Fibroid Embolization. Condoleeza Rice had it a few months ago. I believe it's done by a radiologist, and is out-patient procedure.
Unread 11-11-2005, 09:30 PM

Hi CakeDeco,

I agree with the other ladies. Possibly get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. I was 46 when I was diagnosed with 2 large fibroids. I got two opinions and I am so glad I did!!

On bladder incontinence...yep...I had that too. Today, without fibroids, my bladder works great. Can go hours and not even think about it while in pre-op, it was an hourly thing. And, many times it was a restroom stop just for a trickle. So, I know my fibroids were causing bladder pressure.

And look into the alternative methods to see if you are a good candidate. The more info. you gather, the more informed you will be and the better your decision on what to do. Having fibroids can be scary. Believe me!!! And we Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 11-12-2005, 09:15 PM

Well, my fibroids didn't directly cause my bladder frequency and urgency, but they were an indirect cause. It was discovered during surgery that my bladder and uterus were adhered to each other, so much so that it took an hour to get them separated.

Because my uterus had been getting bigger, my bladder was being stretched along with it. (Ouch! It hurts just to think about it.)

That's my experience, anyway.
Unread 01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Ufe

Just thought I'd update everyone on my situation since I first posted in Nov. 2005. I switched doctors (urologist) in Feb. 2006, (at the lack of finding answers and getting results with the urologist I was seeing the end of 2005). I went to a new urologist who in turn referred me to a new gynecologist. I'm so happy I switched. After a cystoscopy and some other bladder function test (can’t remember what it was), both doctors conferred that they were more than certain that it was my 8cm fibroid causing my bladder problems. My new gynecologist gave me my options, with one being a UFE (uterine fibroid embolization). I took about a month researching before deciding that that was the route I wanted to take. In March 2006, I underwent the UFE. Recovery was pretty painful the first couple days, pretty severe cramps, but was relieved with pain medication and hot pads on my belly. At 6 months post-op, an MRI showed my fibroid had shrunk to 5.9cm, a 53% shrinkage in volume. A sonogram Jan. 9th, showed the fibroid at 5.0cm. Needless to say, I am quite excited. I have had no bladder problems since the procedure. I go back for one more MRI at the 1 year follow-up in March 2007.

Ever since the procedure, my monthly cycles have been irregular. I’ve had spotting and discharge fairly regularly off and on since, in between cycles. Every month, it is different…with shorter or longer cycles…with different kinds of bleeding, very little to sometime a lot. I can say that the bleeding is much less than it used to be before the UFE…AND…I have NO MORE CRAMPS! Yippee! The Interventional Radiologist did say that I probably would not have cramps anymore or if I did, it would be very little. He was right.

I don’t know if it is because of the procedure or because of my age (I’m 47 now)…or a combination of both that my body seems to been experiencing these pre-menopausal symptoms. Along with the irregular cycles and bleeding, I’ve also had a few hot flashes. The hot flashes where pretty severe for about 3 weeks straight a couple months out from the UFE. But since then, I’ve had maybe one or two hot flashes a week. During those 3 weeks when they were so severe, I was having about 2 hot flashes every hour. I also experienced some emotional instability which is not like me.

I have yet to know “the rest of the story” but feel confident that the UFE was the best choice for me at the time. I’m probably still looking at a possible hysterectomy in 2 to 5 years since a couple months ago the gynecologist diagnosed me with a prolapsed uterus and said that a hysterectomy is probably what I’m looking at down the line. I had started seeing and feeling something hanging out of my vagina, particularly when I coughed. I went the GYN and he said I was seeing part of my cervix. That’s when he told me it was a prolapsed uterus that was causing the cervix to protrude from the vagina.

Anyway, just want to say that I consider my UFE story a success. If anyone has any questions or wants to comment, I welcome any and all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.