HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

ideas for a post-op care package ideas for a post-op care package

Unread 11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
ideas for a post-op care package

Hello, ladies!
I am writing in hopes to get some ideas for my sister who just had her surgery yesterday. She had the uterus, ovaries, and cervix removed. We don't know if any cancer has spread beyond this point.
I feel terrible that I cannot be with her at this time, but want to do all I can from miles away, thus the need for care package ideas. I know she has visited this site pre-op, and bought the swelly belly band and a book. I am looking for the "little" things that made recovery a little better, especially once she is back at home. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Or ideas of what NOT to send as well! I look forward to hearing your ideas.
Thank you so much,
Dani
Unread 11-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Hey there. How thoughtful, I am 3 weeks post surgery and this is what was great.....an ice pack, a squishy stuffed toy to use against my belly when I was in a car (between me and the seatbelt), really nice thank you notes so I could send them to people who visited me or sent flowers, a book about sisters (may make her cry but she will feel close to you), a totally useless frivolus goofy piece of plastic jewellery that will make her laugh! And prayers....lots of prayers....
Unread 11-10-2005, 07:47 PM

Those gourmet "add water soup mixes", the gourmet "add sour cream" dip mixes for her vegies, mail order fruit for yogurt/fruit/granola parfaits (had one at mcdonalds today).

I lived in my $10 walmart soft pants/top jammies. With a bra and undies I felt comfortable being seen in them by the female babysitters and female visitors. What a treat to lounge in comfortable jammies for three weeks straight. Buy them 1-2 sizes bigger than normal, to accommodate her swelly belly. The jammies I got came in xs to 3x.

Cliff bars (peanut butter or cherry) are a great bedside snack when I was alone and couldn't go down the stairs to get a snack.

If she likes mush, get her the Nichols Sparks book called The Wedding $5 at Walmrt. Also good mush is the lifetime movie called "Baby for Sale". It's $4 at Walmart and at first I thought it would be sappy, but found it to be quite good, with a little Grisham type drama in it.

Give her a $10 ebay gift certificate that comes with a challenge of some sort (buy a toy from our childhood, buy a toy (body lotion, teddy, back scratcher...) to enjoy with her hubby when restrictions are lifted), buy her old junior high yearbook). I had 4 weeks of insomnia, so ebay was my best friend. Thanks to ebay I had Christmas shopping done at 3 weeks post-op.

Get her a prepaid calling card and tell her to call up an old childhood friend.

Buy her a three ring binder with divider/indexes so she can organize her recipe clippings.

Buy her a photo albumn and include copies of photos of your childhood.

If she sews, send her Christmas fabric swatches (the stores will give you their last year's samples) so she can make ornaments. She can glue kid fabric onto cardboard, slap on a photo and call it an ornament. I used dalmation fabric for the kiddo in love with puppies, rockets for the kiddo liking rockets... As long as their own photo is on it, the kids will adore them.

Does she quilt, croquet (sp), knit, draw, scrapbook?

Would she want Quicken software to organize her finances, prepare a will, start a budget?

Get her labels and file folders for all the medical bills she has to organize.

Get her mending supplies so she can darn socks and replace buttons.

Buy her the really nice $6 foam kits from Walmart. I just got them today for making photo christmas ornaments and picture frames. The kids are making them for their annual Christmas tree gifts for relatives.

Type up a list of your favorite books, movies, magazines, websites...

Remind her that she may have serious "brain fog" and not want to do anything at all for weeks. I'm an avid reader, quilter, busy person, and I wasn't up to concentrating on anything for two weeks. No tv, no books, no sewing... But I felt up to ebay and hystersister's web site.

I've been on bedrest for so much of the last six years, because of four different medical probelms that are now all fixed. The hysterectomy fixed the latest one. That's why I have so many ideas.

Many blessings to you for lifting her spirits, her worries and pain will be so much easier to deal with because she knows you truly care.

Lisa
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeno
I lived in my $10 walmart soft pants/top jammies. With a bra and undies I felt comfortable being seen in them by the female babysitters and female visitors. What a treat to lounge in comfortable jammies for three weeks straight. Buy them 1-2 sizes bigger than normal, to accommodate her swelly belly. The jammies I got came in xs to 3x.
Oh yes! I have been living in oversized t-shirts & my soft flannel PJ bottoms since my surgery! I advise getting at least one size larger than normal, as adeno says, and I also suggest getting ones with a soft drawstring rather than an elastic waistband.

Some other gifts I appreciated:

* fun, light reading -- like romances, mysteries, etc.
* DVDs/videos
* mint tea -- really helps with gas pains
* crossword puzzle book
* get-well cards made by my niece and nephews

Bless you for being so thoughtful.
Unread 11-11-2005, 04:44 PM

Hi 4mysister,
I, too, lived in a fleece pajama set from WalMart with drawstring bottoms. During my six days in the hospital, I basically slept. For the next week at home I watched short TV shows. But as my recovery progressed, I was able to do longer activities. Eventually I felt up to watching movies. Perhaps you could include a gift card for a movie rental for your sister. I was also given jigsaw puzzles and a cross stitch to do during my recovery, all of which I did when I was feeling up to doing them. My mom also gave me a squishy ball (a balloon filled with flour), which I squeezed until it broke.
I couldn't reach to scratch, and my God-send was my backscratcher.
Best wishes!
Unread 11-14-2005, 11:55 AM

How thoughtful! My friend gave me soft big jammies, a good book,magazines, Burt's Bees foot cream, cuticle cream and chap stick and mint tea. We usually don't have lots of time to take care of ourselves, so I took advantage of my time in bed to soften up my desert feet, cuticles and lips. It sounds like a little thing, but I really enjoyed it. Wish you both well.
C.L.
Unread 11-25-2005, 01:57 PM

How about a gift certificate to a grocery delivery place? In my neck of the woods, we have a place called Simon Delivers -- they deliver top-quality groceries almost anywhere! (They'll even put the groceries away for you if you want..... and certainly for a new )

What a blessing to be able to avoid a trip to the store. It's just tough those first weeks post-op!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.