HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Help me! Hole in bladder Help me! Hole in bladder

Unread 11-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

My hyst was 10/10/05, and 2 weeks later I found I have a hole the size of a quarter in my bladder. I am wearing a foley catheter plus depends and pads. My uro says the hole won't heal on its own, so I must have surgery to fix it, plus the vagina cuff I think is what it is came unstitched so that has to be repaired also. Has anyone out there gone thru a successful bladder repair? How long did you wait after surgery. My date for repair is scheduled 12/02/05 but I feel this may be too soon. Someone please help my know that I'm making the right decision as to when and where to have this surgery. I am so scared and cry daily. I am so tired and depressed. How do I go on?
Nancy
Unread 11-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Unhappy - Help me! Hole in bladder I Know exactly how you feel...

Hi Littlepup,

I to have a quarter size hole in my bladder with a fistula connecting it to my vagina. My TAH was aug 4. My V.V.F. (vesicovaginal fistula) repair with omentum flap surgery is this Tuesday. If you are questioning your doctors opinion, please, please get a second opinion. This repair surgery is difficult for the most experienced surgeon. From what I gather, its best to get a Uro/gyn or at least a urologist who has had experience with successful repairs of this nature. Don't be afraid to ask the doc how many he has done and what his/her success rate has been. I am lucky, my doc has been doing these for 25 years. My doc made me wait 14 weeks post op from the TAH. He says that it is very important to allow the tissues to heal and regain elastisity, which increases the success rate. He made it quite clear that it could take more than 1 surgery to correct this. I was told that if it had been discovered in the first 7-10 days, it could have been repaired immediatly, but since it wasn't, I had to wait. Someone else on this site had to wait a year, hers was a success! I am not wearing the foley because it hurt so much, it was latex. Some people tolerate them better than others, I could not sit down or walk with that stupid thing in, so I opted to take a daily antibiotic to prevent infection and live with the leaking constantly. I have not urinated through my urethra since my TAH at all, I now urinate only through my fistula via my vagina. I have been lucky, no infections at all. I drink tons of water which makes me leak more, but keeps me uninfected. I don't mean to scare you, but this is very scary. I have had my ups and downs, and this site has literally kept me sane through this. There are a lot of very caring women here.

This is how my Urologist explained the repair surgery to me... He is going in with a vertical cut, because of the location of my bladder hole. First he is going to look around really well to make sure everything else is ok. Second, he will sew up my vaginal hole. Third he will sew up the hole in my bladder. Then he will take a pad of fat from my tummy and place it between the hole in the bladder and the hole in my vagina as a barrier. From everything I have read, this seems to be the best chance of total repair the first time. I will then have to wear a foley cath for at least 2-weeks. I will be in the hospital for at 5-days. He will not take the cath out until he is sure my bladder hole is healing well and not leaking. He stressed that my following all of the post op instructions is also critical. They are similar to the TAH. Total pelvic rest for at least 2-weeks, no bending, lifting, etc. I have read that sometimes this can be fixed vaginally or laproscopically, I wish mine could, but my doc feels that he needs to be able to see.

I know its rough. The only thing you can do is take it one day at a time. A couple of weeks ago, I broke a tooth and had a total meltdown. Ended up breathing into a paper bag, after that I felt better. Keep coming back to site, venting is critical to mental health. This situation we are in really does mess with your mind as much as your body. "My mamma potty trained me at 2 years old and everything in my physcy says this is wrong." Unless you have experienced this, it is not possible to understand the effects on your mind, but you are not alone. There are many of us, to many.

Vent away on this site, you will find lots of support from very caring and understanding women. I am not a doctor, just someone going through this as well. Always, listen to your doc, and if you don't feel comfortable with his advice, get a second, third or fourth opinion. I am on my second urologist.

Unread 11-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

CJ,

You have a terrific outlook and give excellent advice! for someone still on the road to recovery....you got great attitude girl!!!!

its taken me 6 months of finally being "fixed" to feel as confident as you sound!!! and thats terrific....I do agree, this site helped me mentally get thru a stage that nobody else could possibly help me with....so kudos to you...and I pray that your surgery is a total success and that you can continue to help others too...

lots of lluck and please keep us all posted....

xoxoxox nancy
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

Nancy,

I'm trying my best to stay positive... its not easy, as you know. I'm really not as confident about all this as I sound. I am scared silly about this next surgery and the chance it could fail. If I don't go back to work by January, my family will be in a world of hurt. Its nice to here from someone who has been through this and emerged fixed, but I see it took two tries. Was your first repair with the fat patch? I have had moments when I really thought my mind was gonna snap for good. Thanks for thinking I sound positive.
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

no cj, my first repair was a standard vaginal repair...but i really believe that i had an infection and i didnt go with my instincts to have it tested....big mistake!!! my second repair was done with the labia patch, because my uro/gyn was soo sure she didnt have to go in abdominally and really didnt want to....i was soo scared, and i just wanted it to be over! at that point i didnt care about the scar, or the recovery, as long as i could be "dry"....now i am glad she talked me into the labia fat patch...

hope all goes well with you.....you are in my prayers and i send you

nancy
Unread 11-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

Hi,

Another fistula sister checking in. My hyst was on March 2 of last year. The first fistula repair (vaginal) was in July of that year, and the 2nd (abdonimal and successful!!) repair was in October of last year.

Generally they like to give your body time to heal before the do the repair. It takes a long time for all the swelling and inflammation from the original surgery to heal.

Little Pup: unfortunately, the daily crying and uncertainty are part of the whole fistula saga. You will go between being very, very sad to being very, very angry, and always very, very scared.

And the best advice is to find the best doctor you can who has had successful experience with fistula repair. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to need more than one surgery to repair.

Keep coming back for moral support! We are all here for you. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to E-mail or PM me!!

Good luck to alll,
Dee
Unread 11-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

Hi Fistula Sisters,
My dr has planned bikini cut abdomial surgury to repair my 2mm hole. The explained to me as well a piece of my tummy tissue will be placed over the hole. I will wear the foley untill the cystgram shows no leakage. This is like a second repair because my bladder popped open and was stitched during my hyst due to adhesions and endo.
I am waiting for the phone call to tell me when my surgury is. I cant wait! I just want to get it behind me. This bladder leak has been the most traumatic experience of my life. If it wasnt for my dear hystersisters I would have gone crazy! This help so much. I am not alone, other girls have had the same problem, I am not a freak and I will heal just like others have.
Thank you all for being so honest and helping each other.
Unread 11-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

CatLady,

Let us know when you get your surgery date! The waiting is so hard, but at least once you have the surgery you will be on the road to recovery.

Many hugs,
Dee
Unread 11-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

Surgury date is Dec 20th!
Unread 11-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Help me! Hole in bladder

CatLady,

I know it sounds like Dec 20 is a far way off, but your body will be healed from your hyst by then, and your recovery will be better for the fistula repair.

And the countdown to dryness finally begins!!

Good luck,
Dee

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.