HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

when do they let you drive? when do they let you drive?

Unread 11-19-2005, 12:48 PM
when do they let you drive?

I was just wondering when everyone was told they could drive again. I go on Monday for my first appointment to get my staples out. I Was suppose to get them out on Friday but she got called out to a meeting. Actually the Doctor wanted to take them out before I left the hospital but I wasn't comfortable with that so she left them in. I felt it was too soon since I had a lot of stairs to climb to get to my bedroom, when I got home. I guess I'm feeling better because I'm starting to get restless......
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:10 PM

My doctor told me I could drive as soon after surgery as I wanted, but I didn't feel like it until 2 weeks post-op. I started with very short drives.
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:54 PM
driving

My post op protocol says 2wks no driving, the Dr said this was mostly for safety: they didn't want me having some unexpected shooting pain that got me into an accident.

I look like Frankinstein between my legs - stiched like a rag doll in places I never dreamed they'd cut so sitting is extremely uncomfortable. I'm thinking this, alone, is a reason to leave off driving my SUV for 2 wks post op.

I have a post-op check-up on my 2wk anniversary, and since DH will be back at work I'm planning to drive the 1 hr RT by myself. I'm a little worried that this may not be the best choice...
Unread 11-19-2005, 02:00 PM

I'm jealous of people who can drive so soon. I'm 4.5 weeks post-op and I can't drive yet. My doc will let me know if I can drive at my 6 week checkup.
Unread 11-19-2005, 02:20 PM

Hi my consultant said no driving until I felt happy I could do a emergency stop without any pain, I waited about 6 weeks before I drove anywhere and at first it was only very short trips till I got my confidence back. He also suggested I contact my insurance company to double check I was still covered whilst recovering. Not sure how your insurance companies compare to the ones over here in the UK
xx
Unread 11-19-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi

I was told I could drive anytime time within the first 2 weeks when I felt comfortable. However my hubby decided I had to wait 2 weeks and even then he wasn't convinced I should be. I must say my first short drive did take it out of me as we live on a dirt road.

Take care........Karen
Unread 11-19-2005, 02:49 PM

I was supposed to wait 4 weeks before driving, I'm 6 weeks post op now and still haven't driven. I haven't needed to go anywhere without my dh yet and I really haven't had the energy to drive anyway.
Unread 11-19-2005, 03:25 PM

I was told 6 weeks at the earliest. I had repairs one too, and my doctor felt any twists or sudden movement could risk damage.
I go for my 6-week check on Monday, and I hope I'll get the okay, 'cos I'm going stir crazy.

Miz
Unread 11-19-2005, 03:33 PM

There are many threads along the lines of when you can start driving. Each MD has a different perspective and also basis his/her decision on the type of surgery you have. Ask your dr at your appt when you specifically can drive. For my LAVH, I was told 6 weeks.

Best wishes!
Unread 11-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks to all who replied! I guess I'll find out on Monday when I see the Doctor. I live in the middle of the woods and you have to drive to get anywhere so driving is important, hopefully it will be soon.....Thanks

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.