HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Surgery Notes Surgery Notes

Unread 11-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Surgery Notes

Just wondering if anyone has asked for their surgery notes. I want to ask my surgeon but am worried about feelings and appropriateness. Anyone out there who has done this? and can coach me on the approach?
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Surgery Notes

Hey Lulu,
The operative report is very interesting. I requested and received it and my pathology & lab reports from Medical Records at the hospital. I felt funny too about asking the doc. Anyhow, just go in and sign a release and they'll give it to you.
Hugs,
Pearl
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Surgery Notes

Medical Records at the hospital, sounds like I don't even have to ask the doctor - am I correct?
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Surgery Notes

That's correct. Your records belong to you and you're entitled to see the entire chart if you wish. The records don't belong to the doc or the hospital.
Pearl
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Surgery Notes

Lulu-na -

Med records are not hard to get. I requested a copy of the full biopsy and also wanted to know what had turned up on some of the tests they had done. My gyn/onc's nurse went out to the copier and brought me back my copy plus I had them send a FULL copy of everything to my primary care physician. They usually are the first line consulted so it's good if they know what all has been done (and also, years from now all the records can be requested from one place if you move or anything). s and s

Jeanne
Unread 11-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Surgery Notes

You can get copies of your surgery and pathology reports from the hospital OR from your DR. My experience has been that the hospital may charge a (sometimes ridiculous) reproduction fee, whereas my DRs give them to me free.

My approach to asking my DRs has always been to ask if I can get a copy of my reports "for my souvenir file" I tell them some day I am gonna write my memoirs and I'm sure the world will want to know what was done to me on that date - and I wouldn't want to get the facts wrong They always chuckle and get a copy right away.

I think, as long as you don't cast them suspicious, angry looks when you ask, they shouldn't think anything of it. It's perfectly normal to get a copy of those reports.

Hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Surgery Notes

Ditto.

As a patient you are entitled to all of your records.

Some, however,these days are stored on the hospital computer and cannot be obtained.

I got a copy of my EKG and chest X-ray to send to my internist-so will not have to do that again.

I kept a copy of my path report and operative summary-very interesting the things you learn about reading that.
I also have my anethesia record.

Best Wishes to you.

Sweet Pea
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Surgery Notes

I asked for mine, and they were happy to oblige. They were really quite interesting, although I did have to ask for some "translations" because as a doctor, well -- I make a pretty good banker.

Doctors get the request all the time, and they should get copies for you willingly. I didn't even have to pay for mine -- all I asked for were the surgical reports and they printed them off for me right at the clinic.
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Surgery Notes

I asked for a copy of the tape of the surgery, and was told they no longer tape the surgeries. Everything is digital now, but I was welcome to any pictures I wanted. Does that sound right? What pictures would I ask for?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.