HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Prolapsed bladder / Pessary rings Prolapsed bladder / Pessary rings

Unread 11-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Prolapsed bladder / Pessary rings

Ladies, first I would like to thank all who post here. You have been so very helpful with the information you share. I was wondering if anyone has sucessfully worn a pessasary ring with a catagory 4 prolasped bladder? Thank you so much.
Unread 11-21-2005, 10:02 AM
skipped Pessary ring

My doctors and I decided against a pessary ring therapy for my uterine prolapse (accompanied by bladder, anterior & posterior prolapses - asymptomatic). The two reasons were inconvinience and the size of my vaginal opening that my uro-gyn thought would not hold a pessary. But I never really considered that option since the hysterectomy route made more sense for me.

Sounds like you may be in the same boat as me - not constipated, no bladder control problem, and wondering if surgery is the best way to go. I postponed mine until things were literally falling out, and even then it felt weird having surgery because I was otherwise asymptomatic. I just hated the popping in and popping out of my uterus from simply standing or walking and it was time to act.
Unread 11-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Pessary

Flutterby2: I wore a gellhorn pessary for 2 years before my surgery. It was shaped like the nipple and cap of a baby's bottle. I learned how to insert and remove it, and I couldn't feel it when it was in place. My prolapse was 3rd degree. But, the pessary pressed on the bladder, which was also falling, causing very frequent bathroom trips.
Otherwise, it didn't bother me, and held the uterus up.
Had surgery to repair all of it on Oct. 5, and I feel great! Every time I void, I praise my doctor's expertise!
I'm glad I got the prolapse etc. repaired...6 weeks out, my quality of life is MUCH better!!
Unread 11-22-2005, 06:00 AM
Thank you

Hi, Thank you both for your replies. Katryna, my,you wore the pessary for two years? Well that makes me feel better knowing that. It is something that I am just not looking forward to. I have never used tampons because I don't like the idea of "wearing" something inside of me. Let alone having to put it in and take it out. Hopefully it will work as well for me as it has for you. I am happy to hear that you are feeling so well. It does give me hope. Thank you very much.
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:15 AM

My doctor didn't think I was a good candidate for a pessary. I was unwilling to give up jazzercising and sex.

I haven't been able to wear a tampon since I've prolasped so much. It just gets pushed out. Sorry if that was
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:44 AM

No, that wasn't to much information. I don't feel I can be given enough information. This whole thing came out of left field for me. I am trying to get used the whole idea, but it has been hard for me. This site is a wonderful gift. To be able to relate to other women in simular situations and able to share with one another is just SO helpful. Thank you for replying.
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:10 AM

Hi Flutterby

Here is a link to the prolapse section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=27 You can find lots of gals there who are living with their prolapses, and probably some good pessary info.

I hope you find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 11-26-2005, 05:45 PM

Flutterby2: I am like you...I always hated the thought of something being put inside of me. That was one reason I was on birth control pills for so long...I hated my husband having to use a "rubber". My doctor suggested a pessary to try instead of surgery and at first I said okay, but later called and cancelled the appointment to have it fitted. There are different kinds. Ones that stay in all the time and you have to have the doctor put them in and remove them. With this kind, there is no sex. The other kind you learn to put it in and remove it. I chose surgery...three times. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 11-26-2005, 06:16 PM

agape, Thank you SO much for writing. Well, I did go for my appt. but it went horrible ! My doctor was very kind and understanding but I was a mess. It was without doubt one the THE most embarrassing moments of my life. I was not able to "do it" on my own. I tried and tried, only to wind up in tears. (added to the fact that he had to remove a very large plyop (sp) that he found. And that hurt like YOU know what!) So he put it back in for me and I am to see him again this Thursday. But I know I am not going to be able to do this on my own. I think of myself as a very strong woman. But this is something that I just can't handle. So I guess I will have to discuss surgery with him. I have to admit that it has corrected the problem. But I just can't live with this option. I am certainly not looking forward to the surgery. I just know I can't handle the situation this way. If you don't mind me asking, why is it you had to have [u]three surgeries? Thanks so much again.
Unread 11-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Flutterby2: When you say it is helping, do you mean the pessary? Also, can you feel it once it is in? That was also something the gyn had mentioned to me, that some women complain that they can feel it and it is something they have to get used to. I just know I would be like you and unable to put it in myself. I've always worried about having to insert things in my vagina and now I have to put in my hormone tablet that way.
As far as my surgeries...I had to have surgery #1 because I freaked out when my uterus fell out and wanted a hyst immediately. Then I think surgery #2 was because the gyn didn't fix my rectocele when he did the TVH. Therefore I had to have it fixed a year later. Then five years after that I needed a better fix for pelvic prolapse and went to a uro-gyn. Hopefully I'm through with all that, but I know I'm not through with vaginal problems, because I still have pain and discomfort. :cry:

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.