HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone else got a bug (ill with a cold, flu, sinus infection, etc)? Anyone else got a bug (ill with a cold, flu, sinus infection, etc)?

Unread 11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Anyone else got a bug (ill with a cold, flu, sinus infection, etc)?

I'm currently ill with a miserable sinus infection. I'm very congested and my face and head hurt and I have a terrible sore throat and a lot of sneezing. I can hardly sleep at night (too hard to breathe). I went to the doctor today and he gave me an antibiotic.

Being sick during recovery takes the fun out of it! Not that recovering from hysterectomy would actually be fun, but my surgery pains are all gone and if it weren't for this horrible illness, I might actually be enjoying pampering myself. I can't even enjoy the treats I bought for myself because my throat is too sore to eat much and nothing tastes good while I'm plugged up.

Thank goodness I had a flu shot a few weeks ago, so hopefully I won't get the flu.

I just wondered how many others are dealing with an annoying illness right now?
Unread 11-21-2005, 07:24 PM

Ah, it's been one thing after another for me since surgery. Right now I have a cold I caught off my granddaughter. What's most worrisome is that I keep getting superficial blood clots in my "bum" leg. I have a feeling that post-op the body's defenses are a little lower. Take care of yourself!
Unread 11-21-2005, 09:08 PM

Yes, I'm sorry for you, ladies. I came down with a nasty sinus infection while in the hospital, and still have it 4 weeks later despite constant antibiotics.

I also have had an infection in my incision since I left the hospital. Just found out today that it's definitely still there and need more antibiotics.

No fun in recovery for some!
Unread 11-22-2005, 05:02 AM

A few days after coming home from hospital I caught a cold and really sympathise with you. Coughing and sneezing were agony, runny nose felt uncomfortable. It was the last thing I needed. Do hope you get better soon. Lots of warm drinks to soothe the throat and some honey too helps.
Unread 11-22-2005, 07:47 AM

I developed a terrible cold and cough the week before my surgery. I had that awful residual cough for about a week post-op. Everytime I coughed I thought that my insides were about to fall out.

At my post op visit when my dr. took my staples out, he thought that my incision "may be infected, but thought that it was just my body reacting to having the metal in it). He gave me antibiotics and I am hopeful that this is what is warding off the colds and coughs that my dd's keep bringing home from school...

As if just recovering from the surgery isn't enough right?? LOL!

I hope that you are all feeling well soon!
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:54 AM
coughing - yuk!

Me too. I caught a cold just before surgery, and I NEVER get chest colds but here I had one. Oddly enough, I felt much better in the hospital (the morphine??) but as soon as I came home I was coughing, which was worst at night. I'm 8 days post op now and hardly any coughing last night.

I thought about posting on whether coughing was dangerous but I did a search on "coughing" and it seems it isn't so much dangerous as just painful. Feel better, everyone!
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:28 PM

I could have wrote your post, Ferrin. While I am not glad anyone else is suffering, there is some comfort in knowing I am not alone. Hopefully soon we weill feel better.
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:45 PM

It has been almost 11 weeks since surgery.Everything the children bring home from anywhere I catch.I have had a sinus cold,and now a cold.I am always tired, infact I now have a double bag under my eyes.I have started a vitamin program,and hope that makes a difference.
Unread 11-22-2005, 03:17 PM

I had a sinus infection and horrible throat 1 week before surgery. Took homemade cough syrup made with whiskey, honey and peppermint for throat and used a new antibiotic called Z-Max. It is liquid form and you drink the whole bottle at once(no kidding) I was so-so much better the next day I could not believe it! It was truly a miracle. Also you may want to consider a humidifier and saline spray. I do wish all of you a quick recovery . Sinus problems are bad enough much less compounded with surgery. I will be praying for you. P.S. I forgot to add the fact that I stayed in the bath room for the night due to side effects from the antibiotic(HA) Best of Wishes Maxie
Unread 11-22-2005, 07:44 PM

I feel your pain!! I never ever get sick however 6 days post op I started coughing(OUCH)! By 2 weeks post op, I started running temps at night. Went to my PCP and given antibiotics. It seemed to take forever to go away. Now at 7 weeks, I am starting to cough again. I picked this bug up from my DD who is in first grade aka germfest! Hope you are feeling better soon.

LIsa

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.