HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Worried about Smelly Pessary Worried about Smelly Pessary

Unread 11-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Worried about Smelly Pessary

I don't often post on this message board and I really should because all of you girls know exactly what I've been going through with cystoceles and rectoceles. I was fitted for a pessary this week. I have used it on two other occasions for a short time and it was taken out and cleaned weekly. This time my Gyn told me it needed to be cleaned once every 3 months. I Googled pessaries and logged on to a site and read a discussion between Gyn's about when they remove and clean pessaries. One of the gyn's said that he has 4 or 5 women with pessaries and he removes them every 3 months and when he does he has to close off the exam room after because the smell is so horrible. I am besides myself with anxiety about this. I had to work the day of my exam and was going to the Dr's directly from my office. I brought clean socks, underwear, soap and a washcloth to work just to freshen up before my appointment because I was so worried that my feet would smell or my nether regions wouldn't smell clean. I can not even imagine how I will deal with having this pessary cleaned in 3 months. I will be mortally embarrassed if it is as bad as that Gyn made it out to be. I want to talk to my Gyn and see if he will clean it monthly instead. Have any of you had personal experience with using a pessary long term? Is there odor when it is changed? Can you do anything to prevent the odor, like douching or anything else? Please help before I drive myself insane sniffing myself!!
Michelle
Unread 11-26-2005, 04:37 PM

Hi Michelle,
I used a pessary for a uterine prolapse, cystocele and rectocele for over a year and originally had it removed and cleaned every few months. I never noticed a smell, but it didn't come out 'clean' if you know what I mean. I was happier when I had asked him to teach me how to remove and reinsert it myself. I then cleaned it very regularly.

Miz
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:23 AM

Michelle,
Gross - I don't blame you on worrying about that - I would end up with at yeast infection leaving it in that long - I get them without lol.
Let us know if it works though and ask if they can remove it more often - can you have sex with it in? I know TMI - PM me if you don't want to post it. Good Luck.
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:24 PM

Hey Bowlinggrl! So nice to hear from you. I know what you mean about yeast infections, I had to call the Gyn today because I started with a horriffic vaginal itch 3 days after the pessary was inserted. He says it's pretty common to get yeast infections with a pessary so he gave me 3 refills of Diflucan. I had such a bad experience with the pessary the first time years ago with it nearly falling out all the time, that I can't believe how great I am feeling right now. The first one he put in seemed ok in the office but by early evening I had so much rectal pain and right sided abdominal pain I was nearly in tears and had to use Percocet just to relieve some of the pain. The next day I went back and was fitted for a smaller one and I can't even tell that it's there. It has relieved so much of the pressure my whole bottom feels lighter!! DH and I have had sex with it in and he says he can feel it and it actually feels pretty good, LOL.
I talked to the Dr about the conversation I read about the Gyn's and the odor from the pessary and told him I would be mortified even if I do feel very comfortable with him. He laughed and said I could come in monthly for a cleaning. Gotta love that man!!
It's so good to hear from you, thanks for always being there for me. 's
Michelle
Unread 11-29-2005, 02:28 AM

Glad you've got it sorted,hope my post helped.
Miz
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:04 AM

Hey Michelle,
Wow that is such good news that it is helping - According to my doctor if it didn't help - surgery wouldn't help either - so that is great news for you - there is going to be an end to this! Yeah.
I have just barely finished a 3 week battle with a yeast infection - now in addition to cutting out caffeine (chocolate) for my bladder - they want me to cut out sugar - I might as well shoot myself now - somehow I could accept it if my blood sugar was high - no it's just fine - I'm trying it - I hate yeast infections. Keep us posted as to how your 'follow-up' goes.
Unread 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Bowlinggrl, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable but you've got me stumped. What is the relationship between sugar and yeast infections. I know that diabetics are more prone to yeast infections but can't figure out how cutting out sugar in a non diabetic person can help.
Michelle
Unread 11-30-2005, 07:55 AM

Michelle,
I don't know - the doctor just said I should cut out sugar because I keep getting yeast infections - I personally think I keep getting them because there is no air getting in there because of the prolapses - but I will try anything at this point. I try not to splint - that could be a problem - I have nixed the oral sex thing - that seems to lead to problems. I think I have had 6 yeast infections since surgery and they don't seems to be related to my hormones (you know one a month) - seems to my DH like I always have an excuse - but I really do. I am starting my test(s) for more surgery on the 12th so here I go again - Hope I don't have another yeast infection by then - lol.
Unread 11-30-2005, 05:19 PM

Bowlinggrl, one of the nurses I work with used to work in a Gyn office. I was telling her that the diflucan I took 3 days ago for a yeast infection doesn't seem to be working. She suggested I dip a tampon in plain yogurt (the kind with live cultures) and put it in the fridge for awhile. Then put the tampon in and use a pad, before I go to bed. She said it really helps so I'm going to give it a try. Sounds very strange but it's natural and if it works it only cost 69 cents!! I'll let you know how it works. Maybe that will help the smell when I go in for a pessary cleaning, and I'll smell more like breakfast and not like fish!!
Michelle
Unread 12-01-2005, 07:51 AM

Michelle,
That is too funny the yogurt thing. I usually get a prescription for Terazol 7 instead of Diflucan (sometimes I use both) I tend to get the yeast everywhere. I cut out dryer sheets, only use cotton underware, non scented soap, wearing loose fitting clothing - nothing seems to help. I've even thrown away all my underware and tried all new - nope. Let me know about the tampon thing - that is interesting - lol. I've had a gyn prescribe diflucan and then another 5 days later to make sure it worked. Good Luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.