HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

A cold..surgery 8 days away..help! A cold..surgery 8 days away..help!

Unread 11-26-2005, 05:23 AM
A cold..surgery 8 days away..help!

I need help. Yes I will call the Dr to ask him to but can you girls tell me if it is ok to take an over the counter cold medicine this close to surgery date? I mean can't I take soemthing and stop it like 3 days before surgery?

I feel like I am getting a cold...sneezing alot mainly...but am feeling yuck! I was told by another sister that I can't have surgery if I am sick. It is tht time of year and I am trying my hardest to keep from getting this crud.

Please ...make it go away...lol!
Any suggestions?
Unread 11-26-2005, 06:14 AM

Aw, I wish that I had a magic wand and could make it go away.
I got the sniffles a week or so before my hyst. Since I had already been given a list of what not to take and when to stop taking it, I called my dr. He gave me a prescription med that cleared it right up. This close to your surgery, I think that I'd wait and talk to your dr before taking anything. Better to err on the side of caution

Best wishes.

S
Unread 11-26-2005, 02:56 PM
over the counter meds

My dr only precluded ibuprofin. I couldn't use any for three weeks prior to surgery because the effects last that long. I had no idea!!

Calling your dr to make sure about meds is a good idea. I got a cold about 4 days before surgery, checked my pre-op papers and blanched when I read that if I got a cold I should call the dr in case it was necessary to postpone the surgery. Aaaggh! That was the last thing I wanted with everything all set, especially with the holidays approaching and my surgery date already having been moved back a week. I knew that if the surgery date got changed I'd be looking at December at the earliest for the operation.

So I took cold medicine with tylenol (that the dr said was O.K. at my office pre-op) and pretended not to be sick at the hospital pre-op. I didn't take any meds 24 hours before the operation.

Pre-ops: try to be as good as you can to yourself now! Being worried and trying to do 3 months of work in the two weeks before surgery will lower your resistance and, especially now with the colder weather, make you more suceptible to a virus. I speak from experience (and you can read on the post-op board) that coughing or sneezing during your first week post-op HURTS.
Unread 11-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Had a cold 5 days preop

Go to wal-mart and get some Zicam. It really works. It is a homeopathic and doesn't interfere with meds. You might want to ask your doc first but mine had never heard of it because it isn't a medicine. It cuts a colds timetable in half and reduced my symptoms at the first dose.

Kristie
Unread 11-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Susan,
I just had my surgery on the 17th of this month. I had some of it done vaginally and also a 6 inch incision because my ovaries did not want to come out vaginally. I was just getting over a cold before I went in, I was still coughing and had a stuffy nose, and what a mistake. I came home on the 19th and got a terrible cough and you talk about PAIN. If you can, put it off until you are 100%. Feel better and then do the surgery.
Sandy G
Unread 11-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Thanks for all your help. The Dr said Tylenol Cold will be ok to take. All that is bothering me is the morning runny nose and sneezing. The rest of the day I am fine. Just a bit scared I suppose. I too do not want this posponed, I am so ready for the pain to go away. Never knew cancer caused PAIN! ARGH!!
Thanks again ladies! Hugs to all!
Unread 11-26-2005, 07:39 PM

I got sick before my first scnedualed surgery date (November 3rd) It was a head and chest cold, so I canceled and had it on the 14th instead.

They gave me an antibiotic 5 days before my surgery on the 14th. Best Wishes to you !
Unread 11-26-2005, 08:27 PM

Awwwwwwwwww! I am so sorry to hear that you have to deal with that!
My whole family has been sick: Hubby and both daughters!
They are all of Flu meds and they are all just about over it. I have not had any symptoms and am praying God protects me from them. I am only 3 days out!!!!
We are Lysoling everywhere but not too much because I know that can kill the good stuff too.
I pray you will feel better VERY soon!!
HUGS!!!!!!!
Unread 11-26-2005, 09:22 PM

Zicam??? Hate to sound like a penny pincher but how much does that cost? Single mom with 2 teen boys and Christmas to deal with....no work for 6-8 weeks...not a good thing. Have to watch every penny.
Thanks Bunches!
Unread 11-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Zicam

This costs about twice as much as other name-brand nasal sprays.

The label says that this med, which is zinc gluconate, with or without all of the common cold-relief meds, has clinically proven to shorten the duration of the common cold.

Here is a blurb from a popular news source about this:

"And then there's zinc, an essential mineral purported to have some benefit as a cold remedy. But the evidence is equivocal, Barrett said. Of the 14 trials conducted to date, eight reported positive results and six found no benefit, he noted.

Zicam, an over-the-counter zinc-containing nasal gel, is one way to get the benefit of that mineral without having to endure its unpleasant metallic taste. A study reported last year, paid for by the makers of Zicam, found it can cut the length and severity of a cold by half when the patient begins treatment within 48 hours after symptoms have begun.

"I wouldn't discount it at all," Barrett said, "but when you just have a couple of studies that are pretty much embedded in one corporate research structure, I don't think it's proven yet."

Bravo Dr. Barret. I've tried Zicam and don't think it makes any difference for me, but others swear by it.

And as far as being homeopathic, why ingesting or spraying up your nose zinc gluconate is any more "natural" than taking Tylenol Cold, is beyond me. Chemicals are chemicals no matter what you call them or what herb they came from. Just my .

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.